Two colours of same patch . . what is it?

stratasfan

Came across these two patches. The same patch in two different colours. Anyone know what this patch is and what it is worn for? Thanks!

post-151812-0-90700300-1411493626.jpg

post-151812-0-36990300-1411493634.jpg

That's a "school patch." Most of the schools for the non-combat-arms specialties use a variant of that patch, the diamond shape with the torch. The symbol in the center is usually the branch symbol. For example, the chemical school has the retort (the two glass globe things) in the center of the patch, the military police school has the crossed pistols of the military police, and the military intelligence school has the compass rose in the center.

As for the green/black version, that is the "subdued" patch worn on the BDU (Battle Dress Uniform), the green/brown/black camouflage uniform. The other patch is the "full color" variant, worn on the class-A (dress green) uniform.

The insignia is the Quartermaster Center

Colored insignia were worn on the Dress Green uniform which has been replaced by the Army Service Uniform similar to dress blues and the subdued version was worn on the OG uniforms and the BDU uniforms and t hey have also been phased out..

Leigh

There are two different color versions of this patch, one has a khaki/buff background with the torch and key/sword being cobalt blue and the version you have yellow and blue.

Leigh

The insignia is the Quartermaster Center

Colored insignia were worn on the Dress Green uniform which has been replaced by the Army Service Uniform similar to dress blues and the subdued version was worn on the OG uniforms and the BDU uniforms and t hey have also been phased out..

Leigh

Oh, my! You mean they no longer have a dress green uniform in the Army?! That leaves me kind of speechless.

Oh, my! You mean they no longer have a dress green uniform in the Army?! That leaves me kind of speechless.

They were phased out a few years back. The ASU (Dress blue) uniform does not have any cloth insignia on it. We wear what are called Combat Service Identification Badges.

This is from a 2009 Army Times Article.

Some National Guard units still have greens but the Soldier's are now turningthem in to get the ASU's. My son, A sergeant in the Texas National Guard has his dress greens that were issued at his unit. He is now in the process of exchanging them for the ASU's

http://www.armytimes.com/article/20091117/NEWS/911170315/Combat-badges-dress-blues-now-available

Leigh

Not on topic, but 3 soldiers came to my high school today to get info on students who may want to join the army, and answer questions for those unsure. I of course went over. Many kids made fun of them, snickers and jokes. I was pretty mad at the imbeciles, as two of them had CIBs and one was a student here last year! They are going into combat, facing death, and protecting your freedom, and you are mocking them?? I shook their hands and thanked them. Those kids probably made fun of me too for giving them my info, but oh well. Anyway, rant over. Had to get that off my chest, been bothering me for a couple hours.

Anyway, back to discussion on class A's, I wish they had kept them. But what is my opinion worth?

So no uniforms have colored insignia anymore? ACUs use subdued right?

They were phased out a few years back. The ASU (Dress blue) uniform does not have any cloth insignia on it. We wear what are called Combat Service Identification Badges.

What is the difference between CSIBs and DIs? And sorry if it was in the article, but why did they out the greens?

So no uniforms have colored insignia anymore? ACUs use subdued right?

What is the difference between CSIBs and DIs? And sorry if it was in the article, but why did they out the greens?

That is correct, there are no "full color" patches for official wear anymore. It's funny, you can go to the clothing sales store and still see some full color patches sold, but I don't know who's buying them. The only cloth patches worn nowadays are the Velcro-backed subdued patches worn on the ACU and whatever they are calling the multi-cam version of the ACU these days (I retired in 2005 so I haven't kept up.)

IMO getting rid of full color patches is one of the dumbest things the Army uniform board has ever done (and that's saying a lot, because the Army uniform board has done some dumb, dumb things.)

My conclusion is that we will see the end of shoulder patches in our lifetime. Which is too bad because it's one of the most distinctive and instantly recognizable parts of an Army uniform, and distinguishes the Army uniform from that of the other services, as well as from other countries, most of which don't use shoulder patches.

Difference between CSIB and DI: The DUI (Regimental crest) is still worn on the shoulder strap of the enlisted ASU, and above the right pocket for "regimental affiliation" for all ranks. The CSIB is a direct replacement for the combat patch, so it normally depicts a division or separate brigade/regiment insignia. It is worn on the right chest pocket of the ASU below the flap and in an equivalent place on the female uniform (which does not have pockets.)

Why did they change out? I'm guessing because (1) they thought the dress green uniform looked too squared away and military and they decided that dressing soldiers like a skycap or a 3rd rate rent-a-cop was a good idea, or maybe (2) because the Army Uniform board is composed of people with the IQ of a rock. Or possibly a combination of 1 and 2?

Who knows, all I can say is I'm glad I retired in 2005 when we still had a decent dress uniform. That ASU is an abomination.

That is correct, there are no "full color" patches for official wear anymore. It's funny, you can go to the clothing sales store and still see some full color patches sold, but I don't know who's buying them. The only cloth patches worn nowadays are the Velcro-backed subdued patches worn on the ACU and whatever they are calling the multi-cam version of the ACU these days (I retired in 2005 so I haven't kept up.)

IMO getting rid of full color patches is one of the dumbest things the Army uniform board has ever done (and that's saying a lot, because the Army uniform board has done some dumb, dumb things.)

My conclusion is that we will see the end of shoulder patches in our lifetime. Which is too bad because it's one of the most distinctive and instantly recognizable parts of an Army uniform, and distinguishes the Army uniform from that of the other services, as well as from other countries, most of which don't use shoulder patches.

Difference between CSIB and DI: The DUI (Regimental crest) is still worn on the shoulder strap of the enlisted ASU, and above the right pocket for "regimental affiliation" for all ranks. The CSIB is a direct replacement for the combat patch, so it normally depicts a division or separate brigade/regiment insignia. It is worn on the right chest pocket of the ASU below the flap and in an equivalent place on the female uniform (which does not have pockets.)

Why did they change out? I'm guessing because (1) they thought the dress green uniform looked too squared away and military and they decided that dressing soldiers like a skycap or a 3rd rate rent-a-cop was a good idea, or maybe (2) because the Army Uniform board is composed of people with the IQ of a rock. Or possibly a combination of 1 and 2?

Who knows, all I can say is I'm glad I retired in 2005 when we still had a decent dress uniform. That ASU is an abomination.

Thanks. For both your service and the answer

I retired from the USAF in '94, so I'm really behind the times with uniforms. But I can't believe the army is wearing blue uniforms? When the USAF changed their uniform style in the early '90s I wrote a letter to the editor of the Air Force Times. It was reproduced by several of the major newspapers when they did their write-ups on the then-new uniforms. Boy, was I popular with the troops but the senior "leadership" was PO'ed at me... The USAF uniforms went to quasi-airline pilot outfits. Now I read here that the army is wearing blues. What a mixed up world!

BTW, I grew up in an army household from the '50s to the '70s. I'd be afraid to go on an army fort today with all the changes!

(Leadership is in quotes above because of the old joke: What's the difference between the USAF and the Boy Scouts? Answer - Boy Scouts have adult leadership.)