American Warriors

possum

Just thought I'd do a quick book review here. Got myself a copy of this book by Belgian author Michel DeTrez. It's a pictorial account of the US Airborne troops in the build up to the invasion of Normady. The pictures are great; before this book was released, many had never been seen before. I know DeTrez got in contact with Forrest Guth when making this book, and he gave DeTrez lots of never before seen photo's.

However, this book does have it's downsides. It's VERY 101st orientated, the Chapters on the 82nd and the Glider troops are considerably shorter than those about the 101st. No bad thing if you're into 101st, but I''m more of an 82nd chap myself.

Also, the mannequins DeTrez has constructed are pretty bad. They mix all sorts of stuff up and don't offer a good realisic picture of what the average Airborne soldier looked like. He hasn't even bothered to do one for the Glider Troops either.

Likewise, his reconstructions use a fair amount of artistic liecense, and they somewhat spoil the book.

Despite this though, if you collect airborne items or reenact airborne soldiers or have any interest in the airborne troops prior to D-Day, you should own a copy of this book. It's not without it's faults, but the pictures are superb.

My main regret is that I didn't this book sooner.

I shall be getting copies of his other books soon, so keep your eyes peeled for another review.

Regards,

Jon

Hi Jon,

You'll find this book and the accompanying At The Point Of No Return were MdT's first books, and yes, the re-enactment photos in there are a bit pants to say the least. I'm sure he regrets now having them put in!

As for a 101st slant, you have to bear in mind that there seems to be a lot more pre-jump 101st photos than 82nd in existance (and not many glider ones at all), so it can't really be helped. However, as has been mentioned to you on the UK forum, for 82nd Airborne post-jump photos, the SME book can't be beaten.

I wouldn't have said his dummies were that bad by the way (certainly way better than the hippies and baaaad errors in the re-enactment photos), but he wasn't going for the average Joe in these ones anyway (you'll be pleased to see at least one average Trooper in the ATPONR book...).

Cheers,

Glen.

It's good of you to review a book that I have had in my collection since 1994.

The book American Warriors is the first part of a two part series. It concentrates on, as its sub title says, " American Paratroopers [in the UK] Prior to Normandy". The second part is At the Point of No Return which is about "American Paratroopers in the Invasion of Normandy".

I simply don't understand how someone who is interested in WW2 paratroopers could think that this book has a downside because there are less 82nd Airborne pics. Which by the way, there are not that much less in total by percentage.

There is, you will find, a section in the chapter on the Marshalling Areas devoted to the Gliders and their troops. Which to me, is an added extra in a book about American Paratroopers.

And aside from that, did you ever think to check that maybe there was just less unpublished photographs of Glider troops available at the time?

I am still trying to find out which mannequin picture "mix[es] all sorts of stuff up and don't offer a good realistic picture of what the average Airborne soldier looked like". For the record Pathfinders were not the average airborne soldier. Nor was LTCOL George Van Horn Moseley Jr in his M-1941 Jump uniform, much less the mo-hawked MSGT of the 326 Engineers. But they are representations of what those trooper actually wore. DID YOU NOT SEE THE PICTURES A COUPLE OF PAGES BEFORE THAT SHOW MANY MEMBERS OF THE 326 WITH MO-HAWKS??????

Having said that let me say this, the mannequins of the 501st Bazooka man and 1st LT Robert K Ringwald (505th 82nd in his original uniform) certainly are your average airborne trooper.

Granted the re-created scenes with the re-enactors are a little cheesy, I could not fault what there were wearing.

When it is all said and done I would not fault this book at all. It is fantastic.

By the way the mannequins are some of the best money can buy, and are extremely life like.

At the Point of No Return is an even better publication and First Airborne Task Force is just about the best book on the topic of US WW2 Airborne, however I wouldn't recommend it to you as the 82nd Airborne was not in the 1st ABTF.

Michel De Trez is Europe's pre-eminent WW2 US Airborne historian and all his books reflect this.

Hi guys. I'm not slagging the book at all, it's by far the best of its type I've seen. However, I was just trying to highlight some of the faults of it. All books have faults, and I only think it's fair to include these points in a review.

I'm not dissing the lifelike features of the manequins, they look very nice. I'm just disappointed that they don't clearly represent your average joe trooper. However, point taken Glen, I don't think he was going for the norm, rather showing some of the diversities that were featured, it's just a shame he bundled them altogether into airborne cocktails!

Mr X, I apologise if I have offended you with my review, that was in no way my intention. I merely wanted to provide some useful information for people who might be interested in purchasing a copy. I'm still very glad I bought it.

Regards,

Jon

Johan Willaert

Just remember these books were published in 1994 and sold during MDT's first expo in Carentan.... It has been nearly 15 years since those books were written and since those mannequins were put together!

At THAT time, what MDT showed there was unprecedented, at least in Europe, and ALL European collectors stood in awe of these displays. AND at THAT time those books were the first that illustrated what was really used and worn by the US AB Divisions in Normandy in 1944.

I have been to MDT's place on several occasions and I have never seen mannequins that looked better than his.

You can say a lot about MDT and I'm not defending him nor sympathising with him here, but as far as his books and mannequins are concerned, I challenge everyone to do better...

Here are some images of that 1994 expo (sorry for the rather bad quality, but those were pre-digital times....)

Carentan1.jpg

Carentan2.jpg

Carentan13.jpgCarentan14.jpg

Carentan12.jpg

Carentan4.jpg

Carentan10.jpg

Carentan11.jpg

Carentan9.jpg

Carentan6.jpg

Hi guys. I'm not slagging the book at all, it's by far the best of its type I've seen. However, I was just trying to highlight some of the faults of it. All books have faults, and I only think it's fair to include these points in a review.

I'm not dissing the lifelike features of the manequins, they look very nice. I'm just disappointed that they don't clearly represent your average joe trooper. However, point taken Glen, I don't think he was going for the norm, rather showing some of the diversities that were featured, it's just a shame he bundled them altogether into airborne cocktails!

Mr X, I apologise if I have offended you with my review, that was in no way my intention. I merely wanted to provide some useful information for people who might be interested in purchasing a copy. I'm still very glad I bought it.

Regards,

Jon

The X isn't offended, he just is just vigorously opposed to you review.

Especially about the mannequins not "offering a good realisic picture of what the average Airborne soldier looked like",when they are based on actual pics of the troopers.

You wrote a review and I disagreed. That sometimes happens with reviews.

Dont let me stop you writing reviews. At least you know someone is reading them!

Enough said.

Make sure you go out and get At the Point of No Return when you can.

The X isn't offended, he just is just vigorously opposed to you review.

Especially about the mannequins not "offering a good realisic picture of what the average Airborne soldier looked like",when they are based on actual pics of the troopers.

You wrote a review and I disagreed. That sometimes happens with reviews.

Dont let me stop you writing reviews. At least you know someone is reading them!

Enough said.

Make sure you go out and get At the Point of No Return when you can.

No worries. I certainly shall be getting a copy soon, just wish I could afford a copy of FABTF as well!

Jon

Just thought I'd do a quick book review here. Got myself a copy of this book by Belgian author Michel DeTrez. It's a pictorial account of the US Airborne troops in the build up to the invasion of Normady. The pictures are great; before this book was released, many had never been seen before. I know DeTrez got in contact with Forrest Guth when making this book, and he gave DeTrez lots of never before seen photo's.

However, this book does have it's downsides. It's VERY 101st orientated, the Chapters on the 82nd and the Glider troops are considerably shorter than those about the 101st. No bad thing if you're into 101st, but I''m more of an 82nd chap myself.

Also, the mannequins DeTrez has constructed are pretty bad. They mix all sorts of stuff up and don't offer a good realisic picture of what the average Airborne soldier looked like. He hasn't even bothered to do one for the Glider Troops either.

Likewise, his reconstructions use a fair amount of artistic liecense, and they somewhat spoil the book.

Despite this though, if you collect airborne items or reenact airborne soldiers or have any interest in the airborne troops prior to D-Day, you should own a copy of this book. It's not without it's faults, but the pictures are superb.

My main regret is that I didn't this book sooner.

I shall be getting copies of his other books soon, so keep your eyes peeled for another review.

Regards,

Jon

Hello,

This is rather rigorous review of this book, maybe too rigorous...? think.gif

I am an observer of Michel De Trez's work and I interviewed him about "American Warriors" and its 2nd part "At The Point of No Return" for the Polish MoD's press.

No doubt it was not Michel De Trez's intention to write 101st-focused book. As a lover of the gliderborne troops I would love to see more about them in "American Warriors" but no ideal books in the world...

You create Michel De Trez as an absolute amateur when you write "the mannequins DeTrez has constructed are pretty bad. They mix all sorts of stuff up and don't offer a good realisic picture of what the average Airborne soldier looked like." Jon, is not it too aggressive towards Michel De Trez? Indicate please what is wrong with the mannequins in "American Warriors" - what elements of weapon, equipment and field gear are incorrect at the color plates of this book?

Best regards

Greg

All Possum really means about the manaquins - is that they show specific oddities - like mohikans and face paint etc etc - rather than several bog standard average set ups - now obviously to the chap doing the manaquins and to the public, its more interesting to show that sort of thing. but when reenactors buy these books they have a tendancy to then coppy the odity - and you end up with lots of face painted mohican / Pathfinder / extra pocket covered types wondering around, supposedly representing the average paratrooper :unsure:

Collectors want to see all the bits - but often reenactors cant be trusted with the bits ;)

All Possum really means about the manaquins - is that they show specific oddities - like mohikans and face paint etc etc - rather than several bog standard average set ups - now obviously to the chap doing the manaquins and to the public, its more interesting to show that sort of thing. but when reenactors buy these books they have a tendancy to then coppy the odity - and you end up with lots of face painted mohican / Pathfinder / extra pocket covered types wondering around, supposedly representing the average paratrooper :unsure:

Collectors want to see all the bits - but often reenactors cant be trusted with the bits ;)

That may be very true Gliderinf, but as a Historian, DeTrez will not be writing his books with re-enactors in mind.

If a re-enactor is drawn to the hobby just to play the "oddities" then, this once again shows the differences between Historians, Collectors of Militaria and Re-enactors.

That may be very true Gliderinf, but as a Historian, DeTrez will not be writing his books with re-enactors in mind.

If a re-enactor is drawn to the hobby just to play the "oddities" then, this once again shows the differences between Historians, Collectors of Militaria and Re-enactors.

Wise words.

That is why it is not impossible to write that Michel De Trez showed "pretty bad mannequins" because it is not the truth. His right as an author was to select for us as interesting paras figures as possible. And he did it very well. Reenactor is not a person free of responsibility for his public activity and he must know that not everyone US WWII era para had big Indian knife or USMC poncho. All we know that no simple rules when it comes to the US WWII era para and his uniform and field gear. There is no sense to attack De Trez or any other author writing about the US WWII airborne if they do not show parahistoric fiction.

Best regards :)

Greg

Johan Willaert

I, for one, feel that the Ringwald mannequin (page 178) and the Gaillard mannequin (Page 192) are pretty straightforward and show them rather accurately.

Glider borne troops mannequins are in the green book (At the Point of No Return) showing a GI from the 325th (erroneously captioned as a 327th trooper) towing an M3A4 Handcart (page 26) and one portraying Maj Salee, 1/327th CO) on page 109.

Johan

FYI my BASIC 508th June 1944 Mannequin

508-3.jpg

I, for one, feel that the Ringwald mannequin (page 178) and the Gaillard mannequin (Page 192) are pretty straightforward and show them rather accurately.

Glider borne troops mannequins are in the green book (At the Point of No Return) showing a GI from the 325th (erroneously captioned as a 327th trooper) towing an M3A4 Handcart (page 26) and one portraying Maj Salee, 1/327th CO) on page 109.

Johan

Thanks Johan,

that is exactly what I meant when I said "Having said that let me say this, the mannequins of the 501st Bazooka man and 1st LT Robert K Ringwald (505th 82nd in his original uniform) certainly are your average airborne trooper."

Leigh

• 1 month later...
Nice pics Johan. Mike has a very impressive collection and it's good of him to display to the public.
Yeah, what he said! I'm glad to see these shots. I remember hearing about this exhibition at the time but I never saw any decent photos of it. I've had all of his hardbound books for a while now. I have heard over the years from several people that he will often stencil the names of the vet onto the gear, accounting for the downright staggering amount of gear that is marked with a name. I've been collecting for almost 20 years and have never seen that much stuff in any other collection or for sale that is named like that, not even from other well known paratrooper collectors. Many re-enactors who mark their gear with their last name have often jokingly been referred to as having been "DeTrezing" their equipment. While I have found good info from his books, I'm downright livid over the ridiculous delays behind his Market Garden Book. It was first announced over seven years ago and there's no completion date yet! thumbdown.gif