US Army Haversack Ration

Dr_rambow

I recently found an interesting lot of mess items, I have been searching for some of them for quite some time now.

It includes a sealed hard bread tin, USMC 1917 dated spoon and fork, a private purchase silverware set, and a suspicious looking "French" biscuit (not actually sure what it is).

post-97349-0-08654100-1411438302.jpg

post-97349-0-78283100-1411438387.jpg

The star of the show, I think, is this mysterious yet seemingly official "Haversack Ration". It says Grocery component, so perhaps it was part of a larger ration? Perhaps it is the container prior to the adoption of the ubiquitous sectioned tin adopted shortly after this was packed. It seems like an awful lot of work to package each man's allotment of salt, pepper, sugar, and coffee this way.

The package seems to be a simple cardboard box wrapped in wax-paper.

Any thoughts on what this, officially, is?

post-97349-0-41429000-1411438707.jpg

post-97349-0-71541900-1411438717.jpg

world war I nerd

I've seen these before, but don't know too much about them.

Could it be something that was used/issued prior to the adoption of the 1910 Condiment Can that was used to carry coffee, salt and sugar?

Here's another photo of a similar Haversack Ration. I don't recall the source of the photo.

post-5143-0-76025500-1411483449.jpg

I've seen these before, but don't know too much about them.

Could it be something that was used/issued prior to the adoption of the 1910 Condiment Can that was used to carry coffee, salt and sugar?

Here's another photo of a similar Haversack Ration. I don't recall the source of the photo.

This picture is from my collection.

I agree with Mark. Very nice and uncommon score on the rations. I know the tins with the bread in them used to be very hard to source but I have seen a couple dozen now in the last few years maybe some older collections are opening up.

The biscuit looks like hard tack bread.I found a half eaten piece in a mess kit from a 88th division soldier.

Great find and thanks for posting.

Thanks folks! Good to see another example. I have no idea what a fair price would be, but I manned up and paid what I feel is a fair price for the pile. I know prices for rations can get crazy, though.

Doyler, did your hardtack have the same shape as this one? I did a few quick searches and most hardtack I see seems to be a bit more flat and square.

Thanks folks! Good to see another example. I have no idea what a fair price would be, but I manned up and paid what I feel is a fair price for the pile. I know prices for rations can get crazy, though.

Doyler, did your hardtack have the same shape as this one? I did a few quick searches and most hardtack I see seems to be a bit more flat and square.

TODD

Mine is similar in shape and rounded corners as I recall.Other than a couple of green spots I cleaned off it looks quite delicious. ...lol.If I can get to it I will add a picture to the pist if its ok.

RD

Very nice finds!

There isn't a whole lot of detailed information about the haversack rations handy. I believe it was adopted circa 1906. Basically, the haversack ration was an attempt at a true 'field' ration. At that time a 'field ration' was basically equitable to a full cold mess, and the haversack ration was roughly equitable to an MCI 'C' ration.

ration.jpg

Todd - Great find! I had wondered what that package looked like so it is nice to see an original.

Anybody have an idea how the individual components were packaged?

Peter

Todd - Great find! I had wondered what that package looked like so it is nice to see an original.

Anybody have an idea how the individual components were packaged?

Peter

It is a great find. I have only seen about four of these little condiment packs come out in the open.

A long while back, there was one of the Haversack Ration condiment packs like that for sale somewhere that was open. As I recall, the individual components were packed in little paper envelopes. I suppose that they may have been waxed.

I wonder how universal that they were. I've read personal accounts from the early 20th century up through the Punitive Expedition where coffee and condiments were issued in bulk.

So, in 1906, it sounds like the haversack ration consisted of hard bread issued in the 8 oz paper-wrapped cardboard boxes (2 ea per day), bacon issued in bulk to be placed in the meat can (wasn't there a bag issued with the haversack for the bacon ration at some point?), and coffee and condiments issued either in bulk or in the cute little boxes as seen above. The haversacks up until 1910 were issued with small cotton bags to hold the coffee and condiments. The bacon tin and condiment tin came out in 1910.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Historyteacher

I found this article on this ration. It's in the center of the page, slightly to the right. The heading is "new haversack ration." It provides some details about the manufacturing process. Hope it is of interest! Dr_Rambow, congratulations on a nice find!

http://fultonhistory.com/newspaper%202/Buffalo%20Ny%20Morning%20Express/Buffalo%20NY%20Morning%20Express%201909.pdf/Newspaper%20Buffalo%20NY%20Morning%20Express%201909%20-%200956.PDF

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Found a picture of some Virginia National Guardsmen, pre-War, with our little Haversack Ration in prominent view.post-4378-0-59414100-1467163767.jpg