WWII Thompson M1A1 find

oldabewla

A long ways away friend of mine thats sets up at flea markets and is into all kinds of selling of hunting and military stuff told me a wile back his brother picked up a M1 Garand and a dummy Thompson M1A1 SMG up at a garage sale.

I ask if his brother wanted to part with the Thompson M1A1 dummy SMG because I need one for my WWII WLA Harley and he told me he would ask? Well this is what was brought into the flea in the trunk of the car?

A IMA parts kit with all GI parts except the dummy receiver and only $200 can't beat that!

Craig

post-7997-0-13791300-1411427065.jpg

post-7997-0-60971100-1411427092.jpg

post-7997-0-47314700-1411427122.jpg

Wow. Awesome find. Are you going to drive around town with your harley with the thompson on your back? :)

Nope US DOG,

In the WLA scabbard and I hope they don't run me into jail. This isn't my bike but it has a M1 carbine stored in the WLA scabbard which were ment for the Thompson.

Craig

post-7997-0-74349000-1411430187.jpg

Infantry Grunt

So I'm confused as to how the IMA receivers work... Do they come in 3 separate parts and have to be welded together? I'd imagine a weld being very ugly, so how does this work?

So I'm confused as to how the IMA receivers work... Do they come in 3 separate parts and have to be welded together? I'd imagine a weld being very ugly, so how does this work?

The receiver on this one I purchased is a machined soild aluminum and can not be cocked or made into a shooting gun as this is the way to own one and get by the machine gun ownership laws. The ones on the IMA web site are the three pieces demilled US GI and will need to be weld back together in a fixture to get it to the correct size again.

I've seen them weld back together and look great and even work again but you will also need the bolt as well. You'll will also need to check with your state laws as if you need a class III machine gun licence or permit to legally own it when done? or not! depending all on your state laws!

Even if I would make this thompson into a simi automatic gun with a new non SMG receiver the barrel is the other problem on these because it's too short and will not pass the ATF rules as it's still considered a machine gun and a long barrel would have to be used to replace the short one and that's why all the new made simi autos all have the longer 24" barrels to pass the ATF rules.

Craig

Craig

You may be able to register one as a SBR...Short Barreled Rifle.(as long as its semi auto)

I spoke to a dealer at a show with a semi auto auto ordnance and I was curious if a real thompson barrel would fit.He said that if a shorter barrel was used you have to register it as a SBR.A lot of red tape it sounds like to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Even if I would make this thompson into a simi automatic gun with a new non SMG receiver the barrel is the other problem on these because it's too short and will not pass the ATF rules as it's still considered a machine gun and a long barrel would have to be used to replace the short one and that's why all the new made simi autos all have the longer 24" barrels to pass the ATF rules.

Craig

Nice find Craig! But I'd note NFA rules require a minium of a 16" barrel to avoid the NFA and and a total firearm length of 26" or greater for the firearm (if the stock folds or collapses the length is measured with the stock fully extended).

You can build a semi-automatic with a barrel shorter than 16"; you'll just need to submit for a tax stamp for a Short Barrel Rifle (SBR) to the BATF ($200). Providing, of course, your state doesn't have stricter requirements (some do). Contact your local NFA dealer for details on the process.

• 1 month later...

Craig, you need to sell your triples and quadruples of field gear and use the $$$ to just go big and buy yourself a real M1A1 Thompson!

Yes, you can own them in the Gopher State, no, it's not a big deal to buy one or own one, it's actually very surprisingly easy to do.

There was a decent one at the LaCrosse show last spring, I think it was $15k, it could have been transferred to you in Minnesota.

Short barrel rifles are the same as the full auto stuff. Really easy, really simple, and totally legal in Minnesota. I think there was one on Gunbroker recently for about $1300, although it was a newer made one of course, and semi auto as well.