USAAF and USN WW2 era WINGS hallmarks

pfrost

Thanks,

and yes, I would say classic WWII style AMICO wings.

Patrick

Thanks Patrick. It looks like those had the clutchback and not the pin (hard to say though as they were cut). Was in common in WWII?

• 1 month later...

Here are a couple of post WWII Balfour/LGB marks I've found on navigator/observer wings with attribution. I've marked them with the dates I think they were made...any arguments with those dates?

Has anyone seen a Master Navigator/Obs with the 1947 mark? Or even a pilot, sr. pilot, or cmd. pilot with the 1947 mark?

Wonder if the relatively common Pilot wing we often attribute to WWII might have been used extensively (burning through leftover stock) during the post WWII period? I've seen 1-B marked on these pilot badges, but not the earlier mark.

PS

post-3515-1289370361.jpg

Here are a couple of post WWII Balfour/LGB marks I've found on navigator/observer wings with attribution. I've marked them with the dates I think they were made...any arguments with those dates?

Has anyone seen a Master Navigator/Obs with the 1947 mark? Or even a pilot, sr. pilot, or cmd. pilot with the 1947 mark?

Wonder if the relatively common Pilot wing we often attribute to WWII might have been used extensively (burning through leftover stock) during the post WWII period? I've seen 1-B marked on these pilot badges, but not the earlier mark.

PS

Andrew Lipps just sold a Sr. Pilot in the original box today with an LGB mark that looks like yours, Paul.

post-4502-1289958257.jpg

post-4502-1289958269.jpg

PS

Hi Paul,

Sorry for the late reply but I am very busy these days with life... I feel that the mark actually pre-dates 1947 based on the finish and the mark itself. This is not to say is was not used later as well... To make a long story short I have seen other items made by Balfour with the same type of marking and "frosted" finish on a lapel pin engraved to someone in 1944 and a medal dated 1935. My gut feeling is that some wings may have been produced from late war on with the LGB mark and the same finish.

I need to find the photos and IIRC I think I bought the medal but not sure of its current location.

Cheers

John

• 1 year later...

Ok bringing this thread back from the dead becuase I was reviewing the background on the LGB S mark and reread my last post that I said i would pos that photo. Well I know I am really late with this but here you go. As you can see it has the same mark Paul has pegged @ 1947 and later but from the engraving on this pin it points to a slightly earlier date.

Although this is not proof positive in my mind it tips the scales for those interested in the Balfour hallmark and wings in specific relation to the frosted finish and the larger font. :)

Cheers

John

post-227-1323220684.jpg post-227-1323220731.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Gus Fox Co., as best I can tell. It has been described as an oval with crossed swords behind it, but those don't look like crossed swords to me. Looks more like scrolls.

post-133376-0-03334400-1478193568.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
On 11/10/2010 at 1:26 AM, Paul S said:

PS

post-3515-1289370361.jpg

wings i just got the balfour is the middle wing pic.

002.JPG

001.JPG

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 8/12/2022 at 1:30 AM, MightyMo said:

Found a couple wings at work the other day. One I'd heard of (Angus & Coote) and one I hadn't till I found it on here (Fox).

20220804_155106.jpg

20220804_155128.jpg

20220719_152309.jpg

20220719_152336.jpg

20220719_152344 (2).jpg

the gustave fox wings would be sterling

On 11/3/2016 at 1:20 PM, Grant S. said:

Gus Fox Co., as best I can tell. It has been described as an oval with crossed swords behind it, but those don't look like crossed swords to me. Looks more like scrolls.

post-133376-0-03334400-1478193568.jpg

it's an X THEN THE O AND F

• 9 months later...