Lets See Your Impressions!

FRISCAN

YankeeDiv26

Some really good advice, I've learned to to many of those things over the few tacticals I've been too.

-Pick up your enblocks, They cost .50-$1ea, also look around for ones other folks left. thumbsup.gif

-Learn to die. When in doubt, die. It's nice to lie down and take a breather for 10 minutes after running around all day.

-Be the bigger man and never argue with "hits". Don't resort to the "I HIT YOU!" arguement, you sound like a 5 year old if you do. if someone's not taking a hit, dont waste your ammo, it is impossible to kill an ego with a blank. thumbdown.gif

-Take note of items you used and items you didn't that day. It'll help you think about what you should pack next time.

-Carry advil, motrin, or tylenol in a ziploc baggie.

-Don't wear/bring anything you'd hate to lose or ruin.

What carbine? Looks like you're handling a Garand to me!

Rigger pouches - most of the guys in my unit have them for holding En Blocs, but once one is pulled out it becomes a pain to keep the rest in the pouch. I have 2 that I use to hold my spare socks/multi-purpose OD tube towels for easy access.

Tips for your first tactical:

1. Get some Dr. Scholl's inserts for your boots. Don't need anything fancy, just a little more padding because you're going to be on your feet ALOT. And bring spare laces.

2. Most of your "extras" should be left at camp, such as your M3 knife, shovel (if you have one and aren't allowed to dig foxholes), tie-on first aid kit, cricket (if you have one), and anything that's just there for decoration. No point in losing stuff unnecessarily. Keep your shovel cover on; it makes a great carry-all pouch for spent clips and extra ammo and lost gear you find lying around.

3. You may want to get clearance on the rank chevrons before you show up. Some units start you out without rank and let you earn it as you get more experience.

4. Bring about a gallon of water.

5. Replace the period Carlyle bandage tin with a modern first aid kit that will fit in the pouch.

6. Keep sunscreen, chapstick, and bug spray where you can reach it.

7. Bring a flashlight or a lantern.

8. Bring a sleeping bag. I prefer my down-filled mountain bag over my wool one. I also use a Therma-Rest self-inflating pad because I'm soft that way.

9. Bring your cellphone, with the ringer off. If you break your leg, you'll need to call for help.

10. Invest in the rain poncho from What Price Glory. In a pinch, it can be used as a lean-to.

11. Bring spare socks for night, and another pair for the 2nd day.

12. You're going to be wearing the same clothes all weekend, so make sure your undies will live up to the task.

13. Wear your leather gloves if the terrain is rocky and/or thick with brush.

14. When you take the field, dress so that you're slightly chilled. Once the day gets going and you're moving around, you'll warm up quickly.

15. Don't get pissed if someone "cowboys" like John Wayne, or doesn't take a hit like they should, or doesn't do proper soldiering. Just let it go.

16. Be thankful for the opportunity to participate. Tacticals are getting harder to stage.

17. Volunteer for gate guard duty. It's a great way to meet folks and see what everyone else is bringing.

18. Other than sleeping bag and tent, it is possible to pack most of what you'll need in your musette, if you utilize your pockets, too. Keep in mind that you probably won't be taking your musette into the field on ops, so just keep in it whatever you won't be needing for battle right away.

19. Invest in a folding wooden camp stool from Wal-Mart for $8, and then paint the whole thing Valspar Amazon Silt latex semi-gloss to "WW2 militarize" it. If you're really high-falootin', go with a wooden folding chair. After patrolling all day, it'll be nice to be able to sit down without getting your pants wet on the ground.

20. Let someone else make the command decisions.

That should be enough to get you started. Enjoy the experience!

Having been in the Army for 28 years in Infantry and Military Police, believe me, I KNOW how to survive in the field!!! A lot of this stuff is common sense for those who have lived the real thing for so many years.

1. Part of my Airborne Impression is going to be an M1A1 Carbine. I received the type I barrel Band today to replace my Type III with the Bayonet Lug, and the first of next month I'm going to get the stock.

2. Rule number two is STILL a good idea, even after all these years. NEVER EVER CARRY ANYTHING YOU DONT ABSOLUTELY NEED!!!

3. The Chevrons are already gone. I put them on there when I first got the uniform, but realized that I'd be starting out slick sleeve so off they came.

4. Already on top of that one. Three most important things to a soldier. Food, Water, and Ammo.

5. taken care of... I'll leave the Carlisle tin there for authenticity, but have other stuff available for use... Besides, what good is a medic if he isnt carrying bandages? LOL

6. Carmex, sunscreen and repellent already accounted for.

7. I have the modern angle head flashlight until I can get a TL-122

8. I have a wool sleeping bag with the cover. I may just go ahead and use the cover and a wool blanket... the weather is going to be in the 70s that weekend I think. I'll adjust with the weather report.

9. thumbsup.gif

10. already looking that direction... I have a shelter half just in case...

11. Always carry a minimum of four pair of socks for a two day patrol...

12. Ditto

13. Again, good army common sense...

14. Ditto

15. I spent 28 years playing MILES with the Army... Even with the beeper you would still get arguments. I'm more professional than that

16. I'm just happy to find a unit within a hundred miles or so of me... the other unit I was looking at is up in northeast Ohio... about oh... 400 miles away.

17. I may volunteer for Gate guard more as time goes on. This first tactical, I want to observe everything as best as I can.

18. Same as the modern ruck... I have to say though, a loaded Musette is a LOT lighter than a large Alice pack!!!

19. When you've been in as long as I have, you tend to learn the creature comforts... thumbsup.gif

20. Hey, I'm just a slick sleeve... what do I know? Just show me the Jerrys.... w00t.gif

Wayne

All good points, valid in even today's army. Believe me, I have had so much excess equipment over the years from picking up lost items on the battlefield...

I have plenty of enblocks, but no blanks... I havent been able to get ahold of Atlantic wall to get any... oh well... Bang Bang works good too... LOL

Wayne

Some really good advice, I've learned to to many of those things over the few tacticals I've been too.

-Pick up your enblocks, They cost .50-$1ea, also look around for ones other folks left. thumbsup.gif

-Learn to die. When in doubt, die. It's nice to lie down and take a breather for 10 minutes after running around all day.

-Be the bigger man and never argue with "hits". Don't resort to the "I HIT YOU!" arguement, you sound like a 5 year old if you do. if someone's not taking a hit, dont waste your ammo, it is impossible to kill an ego with a blank. thumbdown.gif

-Take note of items you used and items you didn't that day. It'll help you think about what you should pack next time.

-Carry advil, motrin, or tylenol in a ziploc baggie.

-Don't wear/bring anything you'd hate to lose or ruin.

For that modern anglehead, trim off the switch guard just to make it a bit more authentic. It won't be 100%, or even 90%, but at least it won't be obvious. I took a Dremel to mine, sanded it with some fine sandpaper, and it makes a convincing approximation compared to the real TL-122D I have as a display piece (the modern ones are a bit longer to accommodate a spare bulb, and have a wire hook that the TL's didn't).

For that modern anglehead, trim off the switch guard just to make it a bit more authentic. It won't be 100%, or even 90%, but at least it won't be obvious. I took a Dremel to mine, sanded it with some fine sandpaper, and it makes a convincing approximation compared to the real TL-122D I have as a display piece (the modern ones are a bit longer to accommodate a spare bulb, and have a wire hook that the TL's didn't).

The trick is to take off the extended head on it and install the reflector using just the lens, lens cap and seal. Like you said, unless someone looks real close, it looks just like a TL-122.

Wayne

When Mrs. Hotlead gets the erge to go to antique stores, I see old BSA anglehead flashlights in there all the time, $5-$15 usually. I think if you found one that works, but has a well worn finish, you could throw some OD on it and make a less obvious filler while not endangering the original USGI one.

Here's a couple photos of me at my first reenacting event at Ft. Campbell KY on March 1st.

101st Abn. Div. 506th PIR D Co.

l_0e65184c6e6b481cab221375ce22d2c9.jpg

2nd on the left

2419_1041275522628_1547760254_30349323_5794787_n.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Here's my impression, at our last reenactment.. Paul

post-512-1241838274.jpg

PL 1st platoon C/502nd

Paul,

Thats a great lookin pose!!! like the black and white tone you used to make the picture look vintage.Well done!!!

RD

Autopilot

So here's my 82nd Airborne impression:

ddayautopilot.jpg

Yeah.. still waiting for my garand, just used the thompson for the pic.

Greg Sebring
So here's my 82nd Airborne impression:

ddayautopilot.jpg

Yeah.. still waiting for my garand, just used the thompson for the pic.

A couple of grenades hanging off the "D" rings would look good too. My dad said they would slip the spoon through the rings and the grenades would stay there even when you run and take cover. How about a folding stock carbine ? Dad added that nobody really liked them but they came through a jump/glider landing well.

Just a thought...

thumbsup.gif

Greg

Autopilot

Great opinions, Greg :) thank you..

I shall buy some grenades, has for the folding stock carbine.. mm, maybe a little difficult to import to my country :( (Portugal).. anyway I do think, (with two other friends) this is the very first WW2 impression around here, lol.

Here is the Toledo squad of Able 506 at Torrance this year! I am on the left With Dirteater as Sgt.

Leave it to an officer to demote himself!

mpguy80/08

Here is a picture of my first tactical with my new unit... Co G 2/505th PIR (Pathfinders) 82nd ABN Division...

Left to right is Our unit commander, Junior, and myself, Camden Ohio,

Wayne

post-3743-1241949683.jpg

Here's a couple of photographs from our recent re-enactment activity last weekend. The C-47 itself is a D-Day and Market Garden vet too, and now is used to drop the Liberty Jump Team over Normandy.

10.jpg

6.jpg

Enjoy,

Ben.

Hey, nice photos guys. I am curious though, whats the deal with the carbine pouch attatched to the shovel cover?

How is it done?

I have never seen that done before, either in original photos or by reenactors. Not a slam, just curious. thumbsup.gif

055-2.jpg

EasyRed1944

It was done, only i can't remember where i saw it , i think in a book of Michel De Trez.

And how its done, i will ask my mate when i see him.

Look like a simple rigger mod to me. Sew a regular old carbine pouch to the shovel carrier, and presto. I think At the Front carries them, and probably has a few pictures to back up stocking the item in their inventory.

EasyRed1944
Nice pics Robin, like the choice of scenery and the black and white photo. Authentic looking :)

I hope the best is yet to come ;) , thanks!

Look like a simple rigger mod to me. Sew a regular old carbine pouch to the shovel carrier, and presto. I think At the Front carries them, and probably has a few pictures to back up stocking the item in their inventory.

Yeah, At The Front has these.

Yeah! that's the beauty of being a Col.,you can go incoqnito,lol.Nice pictures everyone,I really like the good action ones!!!Here's an ok one of our's........

post-4746-1242183093.jpg