Lets See Your Impressions!

FRISCAN

YankeeDiv26

Very good groundwork but I think it could use some minor tweaking to be 100% spot on.

1. Get dirtier

2. Move the F/A kit off of your helmet, the 82nd started doing that in significant numbers during Market Garden, not Overlord. I suggest tying it to your suspender straps.

3. I'd go with un-reinforced jumpsuit. I haven't researched the 82nd heavily, but from what I know, most use regular jumpsuits.

4. Wear a wool shirt under your M42 Jacket

5. add a bayonet if you dont have one already.

6. You've been up for the better half of June 4th, 5th, and 6th. look tired, not tough.

I think do a few of those things and you'll have a spot on impression.

-Tim

Very good groundwork but I think it could use some minor tweaking to be 100% spot on.

1. Get dirtier

2. Move the F/A kit off of your helmet, the 82nd started doing that in significant numbers during Market Garden, not Overlord. I suggest tying it to your suspender straps.

3. I'd go with un-reinforced jumpsuit. I haven't researched the 82nd heavily, but from what I know, most use regular jumpsuits.

6. You've been up for the better half of June 4th, 5th, and 6th. look tired, not tough.

I think do a few of those things and you'll have a spot on impression.

-Tim

Okay... I'll answer these line by line here.

1. I have just recently been able to find a unit to reenact with, so this uniform is pretty much virgin. I have a tactical coming up in April, so hopefully I'll be able to get it dirtied up a bit.

2. Gotya... too much BoB I think... :blink:

3. Right now this is the only one I have... My next pruchase is most likely a rigger modified '43 set for Market Garden and after.

4. I actually DO have a '37 wool shirt under this jump suit.

5. I have a 1943 Pal Mod OL Bayonet behind my left arm. I should have taken better pictures...

6. You definitely have a point there... I'll try to get a few pictures at the tactical and see if I dont look a lot better.

It took me the better part of six months to finally get all this together. Hopefully I can get this broken in and looking a little more battleworn...

Thanks for the input...

Wayne

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

1. Get dirtier

That'll come with time.

I agree. Just put the kit on your straps, belt or ankle.

Reinforced is GTG. The 82nd AB wrote the book on reinforcing their uniforms based upon experience in the MTO.

For the jump all troopers wore their wools underneath. Most of them removed the pants after landing.

yup

As time passed the uniform became dirtier, face unshaven, the gas masks dropped, souvenirs hanging off of packs etc.

One picky little thing that bugs me about Normandy Airborne re-enactors is that they seem to have ignored the matter of records that 90%+ of the M1942 jump suits were ORGANIZATIONAL equipment -- "free issue" -- ISSUED FOR THE SPECIFIC PURPOSE of the OVERLORD jumps and had been sprayed with stinky, sticky anti-gas treatment.

While I have seen re-enactors wearing spray-paint camo'd uniforms (Pathfinders), I cannot recall seeing ONE wearing the stick-stinky outfits.

This was done to impart: 1. a camouflage effect, darkening the khaki that stood out in springtime foliage and at night; 2. some water repellancy. And also to mitigate the effects of chemical agents, which were a serious consideration then.

This is why in contemporaneous photos the jump suits seem dark -- they WERE. On maybe 20% of the troops they will look mottled, because some guys so disliked the goop they laundered their duds while in the marshalling areas.

The 10% or less that were NOT coated were concentrated in the officer ranks. They had more choice in wearing the treated ones or not.

That said, photos taken on 7 June and later show more and more untreated, lighter (plain khaki) uniforms. This is because each paratrooper's musette, by order/load list, was to contain a spare uniform -- EITHER a second set of M1942s OR HBTs -- and many troops switched out of the smelly ones at the first opportunity.

Almost ZERO of the treated uniforms survived, as when the troops were withdrawn from the frontlines they piled the well-used, ripped, muddy and tattered gear in big heaps, and -- the gear NOT EVEN being slavagable for Combat Servicable use -- the heaps were then set afire. This was done in some units/cases while still in France and in others once back in the UK.

Darktrooper

DSCF1113.jpg

this is me.

62nd MP Company, ca. 1958

In the photo I went off of to make this impression, the MP's are not wearing name tags, qual badges, or ribbons, just DUI's.

I also know the Vinyl white MP cap is incorrect. I have not found any cotton topped ones that will fit my noggin.

Looks pretty good, you kinda remind me of the M.P.'s of my time, the '70's, when they wore the short sleeve khaki shirt, but "I think" they had white bootlaces, didn't they? It's been a couple years since then.

I always kept a respectable distance from them. ;)

DSCF1113.jpg

this is me.

In the photo I went off of to make this impression, the MP's are not wearing name tags, qual badges, or ribbons, just DUI's.

I also know the Vinyl white MP cap is incorrect. I have not found any cotton topped ones that will fit my noggin.

How big is your noggin?

The other thing is; is that a USAF SP cap? I noticed no green and gold cord on it?

T-Bone

Darktrooper

T-bone, it is a one of the Green/ Gold Trimmed MP caps, but I took off the green/ gold trim to appear as one of the older caps.

7 3/4ths is my hat size.

Hi Wayne,

You're off to a DAMN good start, but a few pointers.

I second the dirtier uniform. I don't wash my combat uniform between events, and it now looks dead authentic (smells it too, but hey, we all have to make sacrifices ;) )

Your carbine: Ditch the bayonet lug, and try and get some flip sight and WW2 woodwork.

Infantry only carried knives on their legs VERY infrequently. It's not a great thing to do, and a pain in the rump as well!

Bayonets: Get rid of the carbine one. If you've got an M1 one, great, but it isn't essential. They were frequently ditched.

Good job on the bandoliers. Extre ammo = good. Don't see enough of those over here in the UK.

Definitely ditch the FAK on the helmet for airborne. Not done for Normandy. See loads on suspenders (left side, you shoulder your weapon on the right ;) ), and sometimes even on ankles/boots and arms. Anywhere BUT the helmet!

Try and hide the white T Shirt, or where a singlet so it doesn't show.

Webbing: Suspenders are only rarely attached the the first eyelet nearest the buckle. Much more common to wear it on the second eyelet back instead.

With infantry, not uncommon to see the haversack worn as a backpack and unattached the belt entirely. Quicker to ditch if you need to patrol, or scoot in a hurry!

Fill them pockets trooper!

Unreenforced vs Reenforced: About 1/4 might have been unreenforced, so sitck with the reenforced. Definitely good to have unreenforced for early A/B impressions though.

For 82nd, you also need a small gauze flag on your right arm.

Leg ties would also need to be changed to dark green for 82nd.

Have you thought of getting an M7 gas mask bag?

Other than that, great impressions. You've got most of the basics covered, and some good uniforms and gear.

See you on the DZ!

Possum

Hi Wayne,

You're off to a DAMN good start, but a few pointers.

I second the dirtier uniform. I don't wash my combat uniform between events, and it now looks dead authentic (smells it too, but hey, we all have to make sacrifices ;) )

Your carbine: Ditch the bayonet lug, and try and get some flip sight and WW2 woodwork.

Infantry only carried knives on their legs VERY infrequently. It's not a great thing to do, and a pain in the rump as well!

Bayonets: Get rid of the carbine one. If you've got an M1 one, great, but it isn't essential. They were frequently ditched.

Good job on the bandoliers. Extre ammo = good. Don't see enough of those over here in the UK.

Definitely ditch the FAK on the helmet for airborne. Not done for Normandy. See loads on suspenders (left side, you shoulder your weapon on the right ;) ), and sometimes even on ankles/boots and arms. Anywhere BUT the helmet!

Try and hide the white T Shirt, or where a singlet so it doesn't show.

Webbing: Suspenders are only rarely attached the the first eyelet nearest the buckle. Much more common to wear it on the second eyelet back instead.

With infantry, not uncommon to see the haversack worn as a backpack and unattached the belt entirely. Quicker to ditch if you need to patrol, or scoot in a hurry!

Fill them pockets trooper!

Unreenforced vs Reenforced: About 1/4 might have been unreenforced, so sitck with the reenforced. Definitely good to have unreenforced for early A/B impressions though.

For 82nd, you also need a small gauze flag on your right arm.

Leg ties would also need to be changed to dark green for 82nd.

Have you thought of getting an M7 gas mask bag?

Other than that, great impressions. You've got most of the basics covered, and some good uniforms and gear.

See you on the DZ!

Possum

As stated in earlier posts, I have my first tactical this month. The boots have already received a lot of brown polish, and will get a good work out this month I'm sure.

As far as the Carbine, I'm working on this as we speak. I've finally nailed down the fact that I have a mil-spec type carbine, so my next major purchase will be the M1A1 Stock. I also have my eye on a type II barrel band and flip sight. Keeping in mind that this is only a quick fix anyway as I am attempting to get my hands on an Inland for better historical accuracy.

Once the bayonet lug leaves the room, the bayonet will as well. Wouldnt need the M4 with an M3 on my ankle or belt already anyway.

I have the Musette bag attached to my gear, but its not evident by the photos... (I really must do more photos after all the changes...)

I'm trying to stay away from the Air Corps Pouches... Everything I've seen on them, they weren't very well liked and could spill your mags or clips if not completely full at all times. NOT a good thing.

I'm in the process of putting together some K Rations... not totally accurate, but as close as I can get them with modern foodstuffs.

Thanks for the pointers!!!

Wayne

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo
As stated in earlier posts, I have my first tactical this month. The boots have already received a lot of brown polish, and will get a good work out this month I'm sure.

As far as the Carbine, I'm working on this as we speak. I've finally nailed down the fact that I have a mil-spec type carbine, so my next major purchase will be the M1A1 Stock. I also have my eye on a type II barrel band and flip sight. Keeping in mind that this is only a quick fix anyway as I am attempting to get my hands on an Inland for better historical accuracy.

Once the bayonet lug leaves the room, the bayonet will as well. Wouldnt need the M4 with an M3 on my ankle or belt already anyway.

I have the Musette bag attached to my gear, but its not evident by the photos... (I really must do more photos after all the changes...)

I'm trying to stay away from the Air Corps Pouches... Everything I've seen on them, they weren't very well liked and could spill your mags or clips if not completely full at all times. NOT a good thing.

I'm in the process of putting together some K Rations... not totally accurate, but as close as I can get them with modern foodstuffs.

Wayne

KRats from Hogans QM. You only need one for a saturday lunch in the field. I've home produced Drats, candy bars, soap, CRats (medium grade repro) and other sundries that look authentic. I sold them for about two years but now that I'm out of reenacting they just sit in the KRat boxes in my army closet. Mayve someday if I go out I'll have a nice display again.

Rock

Getting an Inland? Now that's dedication! I love getting all the little details sorted. It's what makes an impression!

Good luck, I look foward to seeing more photo's of your impression in the future!

Possum

KRats from Hogans QM. You only need one for a saturday lunch in the field. I've home produced Drats, candy bars, soap, CRats (medium grade repro) and other sundries that look authentic. I sold them for about two years but now that I'm out of reenacting they just sit in the KRat boxes in my army closet. Mayve someday if I go out I'll have a nice display again.

Rock

I make all my own D Rats... I found that the 9 cell mini bread pans, filled about half way makes a bar just the right size. I purchased a D Ration and K Ration label kit, and use the originals to reproduce the packaging on my computer, then wrap my creations. I'm currently looking for a heat sealer to make the packaging for the K Rat accessory kits. See the attached photos for my K Ration replica. The Boxes were obtained from England over Ebay, the Main dish is a can of Tuna, painted green, the Accessory kit is filled with graham crackers, sugar cubes, a nutragrain bar in period wrapper, a Chesterfield cigarette box, wooden spoon and gum. As I get better at this, I'll adjust the packaging to fit.

I got the mid war box set from a seller on ebay named couldstreamguard, the K ration label kit came from WWII Ration technologies. Its time consuming to make them, but hey, it lends a lot of authenticity to the impression.

Wayne

post-3743-1239596214.jpg

post-3743-1239596240.jpg

DSCF1113.jpg

this is me.

You can order the cotton tops seperatly from PXs I'd try Navy or Marine PXs as they are more likely to have them then others. They're pretty cheap too I think somewhere in the range of 5 or 10 bucks. You get that and then just slip the vinyl cover off your frame and slip the cotton one on and presto good to go.

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo
I make all my own D Rats... I found that the 9 cell mini bread pans, filled about half way makes a bar just the right size. I purchased a D Ration and K Ration label kit, and use the originals to reproduce the packaging on my computer, then wrap my creations. I'm currently looking for a heat sealer to make the packaging for the K Rat accessory kits. See the attached photos for my K Ration replica. The Boxes were obtained from England over Ebay, the Main dish is a can of Tuna, painted green, the Accessory kit is filled with graham crackers, sugar cubes, a nutragrain bar in period wrapper, a Chesterfield cigarette box, wooden spoon and gum. As I get better at this, I'll adjust the packaging to fit.

I got the mid war box set from a seller on ebay named couldstreamguard, the K ration label kit came from WWII Ration technologies. Its time consuming to make them, but hey, it lends a lot of authenticity to the impression.

Wayne

Here's a KRat box filled with some of my junk. Please ignore the barcodes on the bottom of the cracker jacks :blink:

closet12038.jpg

I make my own DRats in the four ounce size. I use a sized wrapper and then wax the whole shebang. It works well and is hard when cool. When they're warm they get soft but don't melt. I rewrap my Hershey's bars, soap, and rewrap two ouncy Hershey's into Tropical chocolates. Most of my stuff looks very good. I use gold flecked paper for canned CRats and consider those a medium grade replica.

Here's a KRat box filled with some of my junk. Please ignore the barcodes on the bottom of the cracker jacks :blink:

closet12038.jpg

I make my own DRats in the four ounce size. I use a sized wrapper and then wax the whole shebang. It works well and is hard when cool. When they're warm they get soft but don't melt. I rewrap my Hershey's bars, soap, and rewrap two ouncy Hershey's into Tropical chocolates. Most of my stuff looks very good. I use gold flecked paper for canned CRats and consider those a medium grade replica.

Awesome collection... How do you wax your boxes??? I have a double boiler for making my D Rats, but am hesitating on using it for just melting the wax... Also, what kind of wax to you use? Candle wax? Gulf Wax? I'm at the point where I am making my own D RAt boxes... but the font doesnt look right... What Font do you use?

Wayne

Just a note to the moderators... Would it be possible to start a thread on Reproduction rations, and have it pinned? If so, what section would it be under? I'm getting creative with making my own stuff here, and would like to have a thread where those of us who make our own rations can post our creations and our ideas for others.

Thanks!

Wayne

Just a note to the moderators... Would it be possible to start a thread on Reproduction rations, and have it pinned? If so, what section would it be under? I'm getting creative with making my own stuff here, and would like to have a thread where those of us who make our own rations can post our creations and our ideas for others.
That’s not a bad idea!

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

"Awesome collection... How do you wax your boxes??? I have a double boiler for making my D Rats, but am hesitating on using it for just melting the wax... Also, what kind of wax to you use? Candle wax? Gulf Wax? I'm at the point where I am making my own D RAt boxes... but the font doesnt look right... What Font do you use?

Wayne "

Wayne,

Join this group and you'll get all of the labels you need thumbsup.gif

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/doc_hoovie/

I used their label PDF but resized it to fit the wrappers I made. My DRat mold is just soap mold. I wrap the DRats in wax paper and foil for freshness. I use regular brown paper sack paper (large sacks) and just cut it to size and then print the label on the paper. I make sure that the corners are sharp and then glue it shut. Regular old Parfin wax in a double boiler. Dip them in one time and they look like originals.

Rock

"Awesome collection... How do you wax your boxes??? I have a double boiler for making my D Rats, but am hesitating on using it for just melting the wax... Also, what kind of wax to you use? Candle wax? Gulf Wax? I'm at the point where I am making my own D RAt boxes... but the font doesnt look right... What Font do you use?

Wayne "

Wayne,

Join this group and you'll get all of the labels you need thumbsup.gif

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/doc_hoovie/

I used their label PDF but resized it to fit the wrappers I made. My DRat mold is just soap mold. I wrap the DRats in wax paper and foil for freshness. I use regular brown paper sack paper (large sacks) and just cut it to size and then print the label on the paper. I make sure that the corners are sharp and then glue it shut. Regular old Parfin wax in a double boiler. Dip them in one time and they look like originals.

Rock

If you have a hobby lobby around where you are, try looking in the candy making section... they have these 9 cell aluminum pans that resemble a mini bread pan. They are just the right size for the bar, and all you have to do is fill the cell to the proper thickness of the bar (about 7/8'' thick). The original 4 oz bars were 3-7/8" Long x 2-1/4" wide x 7/8" thick. The 2 oz pars were 3-7/8" Long, x 1-1/8" wide x 7/8" thick.

I wrap mine in either white bond paper or parchment paper, and copy the sleeves from the D Ration diy kit. I had purchased a few boxes, but now use card stock from hobby lobby and print them from a pattern I drew up based on the measurements from the purchased boxes. Drawing up the line sketch of the pattern, I can then go into my editing software and add the print on the boxes.

Thanks for the website... I'll check it out...

Wayne

One picky little thing that bugs me about Normandy Airborne re-enactors is that they seem to have ignored the matter of records that 90%+ of the M1942 jump suits were ORGANIZATIONAL equipment -- "free issue" -- ISSUED FOR THE SPECIFIC PURPOSE of the OVERLORD jumps and had been sprayed with stinky, sticky anti-gas treatment.

While I have seen re-enactors wearing spray-paint camo'd uniforms (Pathfinders), I cannot recall seeing ONE wearing the stick-stinky outfits.

And you probably never will. Some of us care too much about our health to get exposed to that level of toxicity, nor to expose our mates or the general public.

Wayne

What carbine? Looks like you're handling a Garand to me!

Rigger pouches - most of the guys in my unit have them for holding En Blocs, but once one is pulled out it becomes a pain to keep the rest in the pouch. I have 2 that I use to hold my spare socks/multi-purpose OD tube towels for easy access.

Tips for your first tactical:

1. Get some Dr. Scholl's inserts for your boots. Don't need anything fancy, just a little more padding because you're going to be on your feet ALOT. And bring spare laces.

2. Most of your "extras" should be left at camp, such as your M3 knife, shovel (if you have one and aren't allowed to dig foxholes), tie-on first aid kit, cricket (if you have one), and anything that's just there for decoration. No point in losing stuff unnecessarily. Keep your shovel cover on; it makes a great carry-all pouch for spent clips and extra ammo and lost gear you find lying around.

3. You may want to get clearance on the rank chevrons before you show up. Some units start you out without rank and let you earn it as you get more experience.

4. Bring about a gallon of water.

5. Replace the period Carlyle bandage tin with a modern first aid kit that will fit in the pouch.

6. Keep sunscreen, chapstick, and bug spray where you can reach it.

7. Bring a flashlight or a lantern.

8. Bring a sleeping bag. I prefer my down-filled mountain bag over my wool one. I also use a Therma-Rest self-inflating pad because I'm soft that way.

9. Bring your cellphone, with the ringer off. If you break your leg, you'll need to call for help.

10. Invest in the rain poncho from What Price Glory. In a pinch, it can be used as a lean-to.

11. Bring spare socks for night, and another pair for the 2nd day.

12. You're going to be wearing the same clothes all weekend, so make sure your undies will live up to the task.

13. Wear your leather gloves if the terrain is rocky and/or thick with brush.

14. When you take the field, dress so that you're slightly chilled. Once the day gets going and you're moving around, you'll warm up quickly.

15. Don't get pissed if someone "cowboys" like John Wayne, or doesn't take a hit like they should, or doesn't do proper soldiering. Just let it go.

16. Be thankful for the opportunity to participate. Tacticals are getting harder to stage.

17. Volunteer for gate guard duty. It's a great way to meet folks and see what everyone else is bringing.

18. Other than sleeping bag and tent, it is possible to pack most of what you'll need in your musette, if you utilize your pockets, too. Keep in mind that you probably won't be taking your musette into the field on ops, so just keep in it whatever you won't be needing for battle right away.

19. Invest in a folding wooden camp stool from Wal-Mart for $8, and then paint the whole thing Valspar Amazon Silt latex semi-gloss to "WW2 militarize" it. If you're really high-falootin', go with a wooden folding chair. After patrolling all day, it'll be nice to be able to sit down without getting your pants wet on the ground.

20. Let someone else make the command decisions.

That should be enough to get you started. Enjoy the experience!