Lets See Your Impressions!

FRISCAN

My couple impressions. No unit yet, I still have yet to join up in the "reenactment world"

M1928 Haversack and Garand/Springfield cartridge belt

http://s1295.photobu...html?sort=3&o=3

http://s1295.photobu...html?sort=3&o=2

Musette bag, pistol belt, and M1 Carbine ammo pouch

http://s1295.photobu...html?sort=3&o=1

http://s1295.photobu...html?sort=3&o=0

All original except the boots and M41. I'm also trying to pick up a t-handle somewhere.

Jacob,

What time frame are you portraying? The 43 shovel was a common issuance by Normandy. If doing a 42 or 43 time frame then the 1910 would be the right e-tool. If you are going to actually use your shovel then stick with the 43, so much better to use than the 1910 just doesnt sit as well on a 28 pack.

Mack

Jacob,

What time frame are you portraying? The 43 shovel was a common issuance by Normandy. If doing a 42 or 43 time frame then the 1910 would be the right e-tool. If you are going to actually use your shovel then stick with the 43, so much better to use than the 1910 just doesnt sit as well on a 28 pack.

Mack

I've been aiming for 1944. Thanks for the information :D

I've seen plenty of photos from WW2 of soldiers posing exactly that way. So knowing that, it's historically correct.

It's tough not to judge such things through the lens of modern military training, I know I've almost jumped on people for stuff that isn't done today when I have to recall that 'Sarge' jumped down your throat for all kinds of different things back then.

For example, it was common back then to yell at a private for drinking water, they didn't medically understand hydration the way we do today. Today, Sarge would yell at a private for not drinking water at every opportunity...

You are absolutely correct brother - my point is that historical accuracy when it comes to safety is another issue altogether. Food for thought.

• 2 weeks later...

I would probably ditch the flag and the chincup, I haven't seen any of the riders on D-Day using them. I maybe wrong for the 506th though.

Photos I have of 505 troopers riding:

505th59_NEW.jpg

505th58.jpg

505th57.jpg

505th54_0001.jpg

c-51.jpg

-Josh

Hangtough506th

The chin cup keeps it on my head (like a riding helmet) so it makes sense to keep it on just for safety really even though its not 100% acurate.

Pvt. Winowski

A Yokes were mostly cut off from liners after landing, so i'd tuck them inside of the Helmet. Also the Assault Gas Mask Bag's were discarded pretty soon after the landings. There are some D+ pictures of Troopers still carrying them but just in small numbers.

Ski

Hangtough506th

I have to disagree with you on the gas mask bag. About 80% of the pictures I've seen have had someone with a gas mask bag in them. Its not as awkward as you may think with it on your leg especialy if you've ditched the mask mask and kept the bag as a water proof storage place.

littlebuddy

i think you all look great !!! apart from one thing in my eyes and this is merely my opinion from when i was re-enacting in the early 1980's

everyone looks tooo clean !!!!!!!!!!!!! clean shaven no dust, muck or whatever you want to call it on your gear !!! but great impressions anyways guys !!!

LB

A yokes CUT OFF ?! SOP was that they (and chincup) were tucked up into the liner, between the crown surface and the suspension bands, when not needed.

I have to disagree with you on the gas mask bag. About 80% of the pictures I've seen have had someone with a gas mask bag in them. Its not as awkward as you may think with it on your leg especialy if you've ditched the mask mask and kept the bag as a water proof storage place.

Ben, no-one would willingly walk around with a gasmask bag on the ankle AFTER the jump. It's put there as temporary measure as there's no space around the waist on that particular person.

Yes, people still carried them, not all ditched them/turned them in. But not on the ankle.

And as John says, Pvt Winowski's info re the chincups isn't correct - the majority were tucked up for use next time, not cut off. That was the minority.

Cheers,

Glen.

Pvt. Winowski

8 of 10 Vets i spoke to stated that they cut them off. I'm just stating what i heard from them!

And i said that most did it not all!

Ski

8 of 10 Vets i spoke to stated that they cut them off. I'm just stating what i heard from them!

And i said that most did it not all!

Ski

Oh? Most we used to speak to over the years said that they just "tucked them up", as cutting them off was frowned upon as you wrecked the liner. Seen one where the guy had had the time to sew them up (just tack-sewn, so easy to use again).

Yes, it was done (you can see a few on here on a page from my old website: http://www.look-out-below.co.uk/uniforms/liners.htm ), but you must have had a skewed representation to have 8-out-of-10 liners being wrecked after each jump. I used the term "quite common" on that page, but only meaning as in it wasn't just a one-in-a thousand, but nowhere near 800-in-1000. Can you imagine the uproar from the QMC....!!

Cheers,

Glen.

PS might see if I can find that odd sweatband that was on that supposed-551st liner on that website page to check it again. It wasn't the same as a postwar French one, but it definitely wasn't a standard US one. I've seen that marking again on another sweatband, but forgot about this one to check against....

Pvt. Winowski

The Vets i spoke to represented different Divisions and different Regiments within those Divisions. And yes i can imagine that the QMC raised hell because of this. But...as mention, this is what i'd been told over the last couple of years, but as you know memories fade and maybe some can't remember clearly what they actualy did. I've seen Liners were the A Yokes were cut off, Liners were the A Yokes were cut off and new ones placed below the A Washers and yes i've seen Liners with their A Yokes untouched and still in place. And yes as a Re-enactor i too just tuck inside my Liner when not used ;)

Cheers

Ski

My friend and i (im on the left) at our first reenactment at atterbury!

Ryan

Hey!!!! I know these guys!!!! Welcome to the forum!!!

Wayne

Red Ball Express

LETS SEE SOME "PERIOD " HAIRCUTS WHILE WEARING THESE UNIFORMS !!!!!

Trust me, that was in morning i had a whole "field haircut" done like 10min after that photo was taken and it at least looked shorter.I have learned since that was my first reenactment. Now i keep it permanently period, the next day after i left Atterbury i went straight to the barber and they cut it short on the sides, trimmed up the sides, and then left my top a little longer. Then tim, on the right just had really bad bedhead, since that photo was taken as soon as we woke up.

Ryan

Red Ball Express

Hey!!!! I know these guys!!!! Welcome to the forum!!!

Wayne

Hey wayne! I got my whistle, it came in the mail today!

Ryan

Hey wayne! I got my whistle, it came in the mail today!

Ryan

I'm looking forward to seeing your MP Impression when you get everything together.

Wayne