Lets See Your Impressions!

FRISCAN

This was a last minute throw together for a living history display at The Battle of Aiken in Aiken S.C. last weekend. We showed up in support of a former 39th Scout Dog Plt member (kneeling with his current dog in modern clothes).

I am the tall guy with the tiger stripes and "ol' skool" belt.

post-110867-0-15925400-1362111272.jpg

Pvt. Winowski

Biggest flaw are the modern glasses B) ...But why are you wearing an M36 Musette?Sure everybody who could get his hands on a Musette Bag was happy to discard his uncomfortable and unpractical M28 Haversack but in the mass it was only worn by either Armored Infantry, Airborne Troops or Officers. I'd wear a M6 Bag since it was heavily used by all kinda troops in this late stage of war. And last but not least it seems that your helmet is missing it's webbing chin straps? But on the other hand nice lookin' gear!

Cheers

Ski

A few things I noticed, since you asked:

• Biggest flaw are the modern glasses
    Yeah, that's a big thing for me.
  • Is that 'M-1' some sort of wood sculpture? It's not a rifle, that's for sure.
  • Darken up the liner connecting strap on your helmet. Those repros don't really get the color right, the originals look more like the color of the leather of a pair of jump boots...

Overall, though, you're well on your way!

Hello,

This is my 2nd ID Company Aidman impression, winter 1944/1945. Pictures were taken at home but you could find my field pictures on USMF too.

Any comments are welcomed!

Thanks

Regards

medic_44

post-111454-0-17901500-1363038127.jpg

Hello,

This is my 2nd ID Company Aidman impression, winter 1944/1945. Pictures were taken at home but you could find my field pictures on USMF too.

Any comments are welcomed!

Thanks

Regards

medic_44

Very nice job....I'm envious only because the search for the gear is frustrating but I'm sure it took patience on your part to put it all together. It really looks great.

Pvt. Winowski

Very nice and detailed impression Medic44!

I guess all the web gear is original except for the medic yokes and bags?

Cheers

Ski

Very nice and detailed impression Medic44!

I guess all the web gear is original except for the medic yokes and bags?

Cheers

Ski

Yep, good eye :excl: I was biddig several times original yokes and bags on eBay but prices went sky-high (I almost choked myself when I saw that minty yokes went for over $200 add two bags for over $100 each and you'll have ... ) well, some other small things like m43 boots, helmet liner (1952), shell chin strap, liner chin strap, dog tags and... me :) are post-war or repro too. The rest is original.

Glad you like it!

Thanks guys!

medic_44

Here are three of mine:

20thKS.jpg

Photo taken at the 150th Anniversary Ceremony of the KS National Guard, KS NG Museum, Topeka. Our Span-Am unit portrays Company I, 20th Kansas Infantry, "Fighting Fred" Funston's outfit. I'm the second from left.

FOSMSAW1_zps42351152.jpg

Yours truly & my "junk on a bunk" display at a timeline program at Ft. Smith National Historic Site, Ft. Smith, Arkansas, circa 2003.

14thIowa_zps1b37ec85.jpg

Portraying the 14th Iowa Infantry at the Battle of Pilot Knob, Missouri at Ft. Davidson State Historic Site, circa 1999. (Yes, I know -- we're far too clean in this photo. <grin>

T.

I have a short film project coming up for this summer involving MACV advisors in 1964, and now I'm in the gear piling stage for that at the moment. Anyway, in order to showcase the look we're going for, here's a picture of one of the impressions I've put together. In the coming months when I can get the cast together I'll take some pictures of them actually wearing their uniforms, but for now, here's your's truly....

photo55_zpsf980491a.jpg

photo54_zps9525616d.jpg

Kitlist:

-1st Pattern OG-107 Sateens, Jacket Dated 1962, Trousers?

-Repro Okinawa Boots (one of the best buys I've ever made if I might add)

-Brass Roller Buckle Belt

-M1 Helmet

-OD Undershirt

Web Gear:

M56 Horizontal Weave Pistol Belt

M56 Canteen Cover, Canvas Trim

M1910 Canteen

M1923 Bandage Pouch

M56 Compass/First Aid Pouch

2nd Pattern M56 Suspenders

M56 Pistol Ammo Pouch

M1916 Holster

Also need to add the proper weapon and ammo pouch for this kit, still deciding on what to get for it.

Anyway, thanks for looking, hope this satisfies.

-Brent

(Info on the movie here: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-divide-vietnam-murder-mystery-short-film/x/372711)

As I'm the Captain with the M1A1 SMG in these pics, one of whihc shows me carrying it across my left arm, I can safely say that it's just a comfortable way of carrying it for me, not something picked up in the British Army, nor copied from there either. Just find it comfortable, that's all. You'll also see me carrying it in both hands, or just in my right. On long treks with unslung weapons, I tend to move it around a lot to ease the load, that's all.

As for the uniforms, Josh, they're good from the research we put in to this - if we'd turned up like we'd just jumped into Southern France, that would be wrong, same way as if we'd turned up in fur-trimmed parkas too. I regret not having a few Mackinaws here and there, as the 551st Motor Pool had a pile of them available for the riflemen to take in the Ardennes. The "Tank Suits" (as they called them) are correct, as are the M43's (and no leg pockets on the trousers). Most of the 551st helmets were repainted before the Ardennes, so plain OD in the main is correct, with re-stencilled palm trees or not.

Cheers,

Glen.

Well said (as usual!) Glen - if you look at photos of the 551st in the Maritime Alps Sep-Nov of 1944, the 551st were already wearing a mix of M42, M43 and GI issue uniforms. By the "Bulge," webgear & helmets that were camo'd for Dragoon had faded or worn off thru continuous use, etc.

This photo is show PFC Robert "Booty" West (on the right) & PVT Wood of B Co 551st in the Maritime Alps in late 44

West1.jpg

Always great to see your insight Glen & hope to make it to Belgium someday!

ATFW!

Chris

@ Jungle Rot

I like the early 'nam jacket and trousers. I picked that same pair up last summer at a flea market, unfortunatly, I don't know much about them. Being utility uniforms, would they still be used in combat? (They were worn by the US troops in We Were Soldiers, don't know if that wasa accurate or not). Also, what type of footwear would an advisor in Vietnam earlier in the war wear?~Thanks, Lancer

@ Jungle Rot

I like the early 'nam jacket and trousers. I picked that same pair up last summer at a flea market, unfortunatly, I don't know much about them. Being utility uniforms, would they still be used in combat? (They were worn by the US troops in We Were Soldiers, don't know if that wasa accurate or not). Also, what type of footwear would an advisor in Vietnam earlier in the war wear?~Thanks, Lancer

Hey Lance,

They were referred to as "Utility Uniforms", but they were the issued combat uniform until the jungle fatigues became standard. For boots, there were a lot of different things used. You would see the all leather boots (Corcoran, M1949, or MacNamara boots), "Okinawa" boots like I'm wearing in the photos, or early jungle boots.

Here's a good website for reference if you're interested:

http://www.vietnamgear.com

Thanks,

Brent

Always great to see your insight Glen & hope to make it to Belgium someday!

Thanks Chris, and you're welcome to come over with us at any time - we're also going as 551st to Southern France in August too.... ;)

Cheers,

Glen.

Hey Lance,

They were referred to as "Utility Uniforms", but they were the issued combat uniform until the jungle fatigues became standard. For boots, there were a lot of different things used. You would see the all leather boots (Corcoran, M1949, or MacNamara boots), "Okinawa" boots like I'm wearing in the photos, or early jungle boots.

Here's a good website for reference if you're interested:

http://www.vietnamgear.com

Thanks,

Brent

Did individual U.S. army special forces units fall under the control of MACV in Vietnam, or did it have it's own individual troops under it's command? The information is greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Lancer

Did individual U.S. army special forces units fall under the control of MACV in Vietnam, or did it have it's own individual troops under it's command? The information is greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Lancer

I'm actually not entirely certain on this, but I'm pretty sure the USSF in Vietnam operated on their own until MACV was formed, and then took orders from them. If I'm wrong here, somebody please correct me!

-Brent

The 5th SFGA was a subordinate of US Army Vietnam, not MACV. However, the CG of MACV was also the commander of USARV. And the creation of MACV was before there was a USARV. MACV was in place before any US combat Divs or Spt Gps, etc. arrived. As the "footprint" expanded, MACV delegated control of the US TO&E forces, to USARV, and kept anything to do with the advisory effort, spec ops and "oddball stuff". MACV was also, technically, a JOINT Command, with USAF and USN elements organic.

That said, SOG was directly subordinate to HQ MACV and had no chain-of-command relationship to the CO of the 5th Gp.

It's a bit like asking who is your PARENT? Mom, or Dad?

Ahhh my favorite - "Hand over the muzzle " reenacting....
I've seen plenty of photos from WW2 of soldiers posing exactly that way. So knowing that, it's historically correct.

It's tough not to judge such things through the lens of modern military training, I know I've almost jumped on people for stuff that isn't done today when I have to recall that 'Sarge' jumped down your throat for all kinds of different things back then.

For example, it was common back then to yell at a private for drinking water, they didn't medically understand hydration the way we do today. Today, Sarge would yell at a private for not drinking water at every opportunity...