Lets See Your Impressions!

FRISCAN

post-2104-1291408237.jpg

Naval pattern pistol cartridge box shown open, showing integral precussion cap pouch. Naval pattern cartridge boxes were generally made with the cap pouch as part of the box so as to cut down on "loose gear".

post-2104-1291408409.jpg

Personnal effects were kept in a water proof bag inside the ditty bag. These would include a wallett. Most Sailors rarely had money, but kept their papers (such as previous discharge papers, pay receipts, vouchers for items drawn from the Paymaster), in the wallet. When discharged at the end of each cruise, their discharges listed skills and skill leval which would be presented when they went to sign abaord their next ship so they could get a high paying berth. Also, small note book, pencile and knife with sharpening stone. And, tobacco products.

Steve Hesson

post-2104-1291408828.jpg

Contents of sewing kit. Sailors mae much of their own clothing and repaired all of it. Note the sinuew for repairing leather items, bag of butons and patching materials. Larger sections of fabric would ba also carried in the ditty bag.

post-2104-1291408957.jpg

Sailors shaving/toilet kit. Sailors were required to wash daily and bath weekly. The Navy had less that one tenth of one percent deaths due to dease, while the Army had 33% deaths due to desease. The Navy understood that maintaining a clean ship and clean Sailors helped keep them healthy (they didn't know why, just that it did).

Steve Hesson

post-2104-1291409108.jpg

Shoe shine kit (pretty familuer) Sailors were inspected every day with a formal inspection on Saturday mornings. If they were found lacking in cleanlyness or appearance, they could be punished.

post-2104-1291409234.jpg

A look down inside the ditty bag with everything back in its bags/rolls. Only about half the space is taken up in the bag. There would of course be writting materials, photographs and books. These items would generally be in a "Ditty Box" which would then fit into the ditty bag. This bow would either be made of pasteboard (card board) or more commonly wood. Need to work on that yet.

post-2104-1291409386.jpg

Sailors mess gear. Sailors were issued these items and carried them with them. Most Sailors scratched their initials in the bottoms of their gear. They used "Mess Pans" (shallow bowels) instead of plates since most of what they ate was soups or stews (easier to prepare) and which do not work well on flat plates on a rolling ship. The utinsils are original.

post-2104-1291409523.jpg

This is looking down into the sea bag. t is 36 inches tall and 12 inchs across. There are 6 uniforms, two sets of drawers and undershirts, four pair of socks an extra pair of shoes, the ditty bag and mess gear in this bag.

post-2104-1291409624.jpg

In order to fit all their stuff in the bag, Sailors would roll their clothing and "Stop" (tie) it with clothes stops. This method is first written down in a book called the "Kedge Anchor" in 1846. It was the fore runner of the Blue Jackets Manual and describes many things for the new Sailor. This method of folding, rolling, and stopping clothing remained in use in the US Navy into the 1950s.

Steve Hesson

Steve,

You should have this in a separate thread, It is an absolute primer for the period. Also we used some clothes stops in boot camp in 77. Seems to me that crapy rain coat was one item I had stowed that way for a long time.

John

Steve,

You should have this in a separate thread, It is an absolute primer for the period. Also we used some clothes stops in boot camp in 77. Seems to me that crapy rain coat was one item I had stowed that way for a long time.

John

Thanks John. Still working on getting the rest of the stuff together for a full bag. Yeah, we were still using clothes stops for odds and ends in '73. But I know they were still rolling and stopping clothes in the 50s.

Steve

• 1 month later...

HOLEY CRAP Steve!! THAT'S AWESOME!!! One question, where do I get a hold of some clothing Stops (small ropes)? i AM as you know building my Navy stuff up and need those. Thanks!

Scott

Steve,

I concur with John in that your information (along with the photos) is absolutely fantastic! Truly deserving of it's own thread.

Thanks. I try. My thing is the life of the American Sailor. I refer to it as the "Material and Social Culture" to make it sound interesting. As for the clothes stops, I made my own. Karen and I validated and conserved a set of whites for a colector and the trousers had clothes stops in them. So, I copied them. As for modern ones, the only ones I have ever seen are tied around clothes. It is amazing, in boot camp, all of us had to buy a bundle of them, maybe 50 to a bundle times 80 some guys times howevermany guys went through boot cam before they stoped using them (I think we still used them when I was pushing boots in the mid 80s for the raincoat.), That's got to be millions of them. They should be every where.

Steve hesson

chiefharlock

Here is me 'n my shepherd the day after I got home on R&R back in July. The kit had been sitting in a box waiting for me to open it for a couple of weeks before I left Northern Afghanistan. Mad props to my fiance for snappin the pic!!

post-21341-1294473790.jpg

Here is me 'n my shepherd the day after I got home on R&R back in July. The kit had been sitting in a box waiting for me to open it for a couple of weeks before I left Northern Afghanistan. Mad props to my fiance for snappin the pic!!

--Good looking dog! (Your impression looks great, too!) Is the Shepherd trained for service?

chiefharlock
--Good looking dog! (Your impression looks great, too!) Is the Shepherd trained for service?

LoL...ummmmm we're working on it.... sorta? LoL! He's still a young dog, so we're still working witha lot of stuff.

• 3 weeks later...
Corpsmancollector

Steve,

Your navy impression is amazing! The amount of detail is just crazy, I've never seen anything like it. Really blown away!

You should definitely start a separate thread with all the pictures and info for others to see

Will