Lets See Your Impressions!

FRISCAN

Portrait1.jpg

The above two are of me as a captain in the Regular Army (Cavalry, to be precise) seconded to training troops stateside circa 1917. Can anyone identify the campaign ribbons? :-)

Hi Adam,

-- China campaign, Phillipine campaign, and Mexican service. For a Great War campaigner, you're wearing the official "OF" grouping. (I know, because I've got the same salad on my uniform!)

--Brian

oskar_2ndchev
Hi Adam,

-- China campaign, Phillipine campaign, and Mexican service. For a Great War campaigner, you're wearing the official "OF" grouping. (I know, because I've got the same salad on my uniform!)

--Brian

Yep! :thumbsup:

10th Armored in the Bulge

Me_Bastogne.jpg

Some one discovered one lighting, the current fad in commercial photography. Very interesting, impression looks good, grime is where grime should be and not all random and cosmetic looking, thank you for that!

-Sarah

Okay, I've gotten yet another Impression up and running, but I havent had the chance to try it on for size so I recently did the next best thing... I displayed it from a hanging half mannequin at a recent Living History display I conducted on Veteran's Day. I still need one more canteen set, and am waiting on medium and small Carlisles to complete the innards of the bags. I'll open everything back up this week and sdo a lay out to show what's in the bags... Let me know what you think!

Wayne

post-3743-1289796967.jpg

Grizzly Adams
post-2104-1289340991.jpg

US Navy 1864, Living History Shaker Village Historic Site, South Union Kentucky, Nov 6 2010.

Steve Hesson

Looks pretty sharp, Steve. :)

Hi Adam,

--Brian

A bit hair cream wouldn't go a miss... :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

post-2104-1291405775.jpg

Hammock mattress. It is pretty thin but works great with the hammock. I have spent a week sleeping in this aboard USS COnstellation. This mattress helpes insulate against the cool night ir (it was in October in Maryland). Actually, a great weeks sleep.

Steve Hesson

post-2104-1291406003.jpg

A pair of reproduction CW Navy blankets. Each Sailor was issued one hammock, one matress and either two single or one double blankets. In the Western Rivers, most Sailors got Army blankets (I am using one as a back ground for these photos. I did the blue blanket stitch across the raw edge and embroidered my initials into the blankets. This was commonly done by the Sailors to improve their gear and to ID it.

Steve Hesson

post-2104-1291406200.jpg

Close up of blanket stencil. This is based on a blanket that floated up from the wreck of USS Cumberland after the battle of Hampton Rhodes, March 1862 (Monitor and Merrimack/Virginia)

Steve Hesson

post-2104-1291406327.jpg

This is a shot of the nettle line. The nettles (thin lines that support the hammock wre rove through the grometts and secured to a thick line on the outside of the hammock with a sliding Taught line hitch. This way, the nettles can be loosened, line removed and all nettles off of hammock so it can be scrubbed. Not all hammocks were rigged like this, but it was common enough.

Steve Hesson

post-2104-1291407808.jpg

This is the basic rig for a Sailor who is part of a boarding party. The boarding axe was used to destroy specified portions of the boarded ship. The ax men would have assigned targets and and partners to cover them.

post-2104-1291407984.jpg

Close up of axe. Notice it is actually just a 19th century hatchet. The tangs were just a method of keeping the head on. The Navy had these specifically made by Ames, but any hatchet was pressed into service.

post-2104-1291408090.jpg

Belt hooks of the modle 1841 style Naval waist belt. This belt was actually replaced in 1860 with a friction buckle belt, but these continued in service until the late 1890s.

Steve Hesson