Lets See Your Impressions!

FRISCAN

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

Two US Army Infantrymen take a break and discuss plans during a training exercise in West Germany.

Yes, I know neither of us have slings on our rifles. We had only one of the correct slings at the time between the two of us and it was on another rifle we were live firing earlier in the day. We didn't realize until after the photos had been taken and uploaded that they were missing. Next time the slings will definitely be present!

You guys do a good job. Your uniforms are worn properly and you look like soldiers. Many soldiers in the 1970's and 1980's did NOT use a sling in the field. Many used a "come along" cord, a piece of para cord, or sometimes none at all. Many or most of us removed the original slings because they were useless except parades.

Rock

Pogranichnik92

You guys do a good job. Your uniforms are worn properly and you look like soldiers. Many soldiers in the 1970's and 1980's did NOT use a sling in the field. Many used a "come along" cord, a piece of para cord, or sometimes none at all. Many or most of us removed the original slings because they were useless except parades.

Rock

Thanks for the info! I always heard the British and Canadian troops did that with their rifles, but I never new GI's did it. Well that certainly helps the impression! Haha!

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

It was learned in Vietnam to use one piece of Paracord to keep the rifle attached to you. Most LRRP/Recon Teams simply didn't use slings in the traditional sense and many of my instructors and senior NCO's were from those teams. What they learned, they passed on to us. Many of us did use slings but we jerry rigged them mostly for comfort. Slings for Urban Combat (the M60 Sling) was a good one to use because you had to sling your rifle to climb into windows and such. Also it helped when rappelling down the side of a building into a window.

In Forest or Junge environments the use of a sling was less necessary.

Rock

USAAF waist gunner in flak gear. Just need the lower apron portion of flak vest.

attachicon.gif1441342_10151763864883479_354719469_n.jpg

attachicon.gif577474_10151763864928479_367994389_n.jpg

nice to see some more USAAF in here !! what jacket are you wearing ? i cant make it out on the photo

My bad , just noticed the epaulettes a B10 , original or reproduction ?

LB

I know it sounds pidly but the boot lace thing is a big deal. Soldiers always tucked in the boot laces and anything sticking out was considered a "gig" and you would be punitively treated. Sounds inane and nit picking but when you're on a fast movement in the field and your bootlace comes untied because it catches on something, then your boots get loose you can get blisters, slow the team down and cause unnecessary delays. Tie, maybe double tie them in a double knot and stick them down inside the top of the boot between your sock and the boot top.

The hair- many folks putting on unforms in the post WWII era have civilian hair, which is a complete giveaway and most of us don't nitpick. After Korea many Army NCO's shaved the sides of their head pretty clean but not always. The hair on the back of the neck and ears was usually short enough to separate a soldier from a civilian. Most Marines had shaved high and tights up toward Vietnam. Look at the Marines in Hue, they look like Marines.

Rock

Rock, believe me, I don't take this as nitpicking. I want to do my impression as well as possible, so if I can get it down to the details I try to. The boot-laces tip will not be underwritten.

As far as the hair goes, I actually sport a WWII-style crew cut, however these photos were taken at a time when my hair had grown a little too long. Rest assured, my hair has been cut and is back in 40's/50's regulation.

-Brent

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

Rock, believe me, I don't take this as nitpicking. I want to do my impression as well as possible, so if I can get it down to the details I try to. The boot-laces tip will not be underwritten.

As far as the hair goes, I actually sport a WWII-style crew cut, however these photos were taken at a time when my hair had grown a little too long. Rest assured, my hair has been cut and is back in 40's/50's regulation.

-Brent

I've seen pictures in yearbooks from the 101st Airborne Division in the late 50's, early 60's and many of them are sporting longer hair similar to WWII haircuts, just not down the back of the neck or on the ears. I'm sure you know what to do and have done it.

The boot laces are completely invisible. Nothing hangs outside the top of the boot. Actually the laces at the top hole are placed from the outside through the hole and then tied. The remaining bow and ends are tucked in between the tongue and the boot so that nothing shows. They will usually stay put there as the side of the boot holds them out of sight.

Every soldier I ever knew took care to hid his/her laces as it is a sloppy look with unwanted side effects in the field. Many Reenactors take it personal when they receive constructive criticism however soldiers are soldiers, especially from the 40's to now. Many of the manuals haven't changed much.

Good work, keep it up.

Rock

nice to see some more USAAF in here !! what jacket are you wearing ? i cant make it out on the photo

My bad , just noticed the epaulettes a B10 , original or reproduction ?

LB

Yep, B10 jacket. At The Front repro. The QAC harness and jacket are the repro items. My original QAC harness stays on my bomber mannequin for display purposes.

Thanks for the compliment!

• 1 month later...

US Army ETO, Winter 1944-1945.

Obviously not perfect, to be honest I just wanted to take advantage of the snow. Will post an improved version in two-three days time. ;) Merry Christmas!

IMG_3747_zps56abdf0a.jpg

IMG_3748_zps797a1456.jpg\

-Brent

Medic attached to the 1st ID, 18th IR, Co. B, Late December 1944

I just go the jacket the other day so I still have yet to get it dirty.

post-111154-0-11291400-1388255326.jpg

Medic attached to the 1st ID, 18th IR, Co. B, Late December 1944

I just go the jacket the other day so I still have yet to get it dirty.

Appropriate Background you choose, Fall 1944 I would say, the Huertgen Wald, or early to mid December Ardennes, juust as the German Offensive kicked off.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
DeltaRecon226

25th Infantry Division, 27th Infantry Regiment Cambodian Incursion 1 May 1970

Kit List: (All Items Except for airsoft weapons and accessories are Vietnam Dated)

Uniform:
(2x)3rd Pattern Tropical Combat Shirt (One in ruck)
3rd Pattern Tropical Combat Pants (In Ruck)
3rd Pattern ERDL Tropical Combat Pants
M65 Field Jacket Liner (In Ruck)
GI Socks and Towel (In Ruck)
Panama Sole Jungle Boots (Repro)
OD Boonie(In Ruck)
M1 "Low-Dome" Helmet with Bug Juice

Webgear, Weapons, and Ammo:
G&P M16A1 Colt Licensed Airsoft Electric Gun
2x M16 20rd 5.56mm Magazine Bandoleer
13x M16 20rd 5.56mm Magazines
2x M16 30rd 5.56mm Magazines (In Ruck)
2x M61 Fragmentation Grenades
1x M67 Fragmentation Grenade

Rucksack:
P68 Lightweight Rucksack
3x 1qt canteens and covers
Canteen Cup
M67 2qt canteen and cover
M61 buttpack
M56 Ammo pouch
Mess kit
US DoD Survival Manual (1970 edition)
M17 Gas Mask, Decon kit, and bag
Lightweight Rubberized Poncho
ERDL Center Seam Poncho Liner
Shelter Half, Stakes, and Pole
Various Vietnam era toiletries and personal items

13316390745_ae2d85720b.jpg

13316557043_d7f164d205.jpg

13316392065_4d42cfd6f5.jpg

13316765674_d61f984309.jpg

Bandoliers were a disposable item, I wouldn't think someone would go to the trouble to do that much artwork on one in country...

Even if it is only a prop weapon or so .... NEVER keep your finger on the trigger .....

I have zero problem with that if he's in a combat pose, which clearly that was the intent.

Don't want to get into discussion, but this does not look like a combat pose to me.

Combat pose or not, it is all about gun safety.

What if later he is standing there with a real gun?

I saw the result of a pose like that several years ago ...... that guy turned his leg into a hamburger.

That's why I cringe when I see people walking (or posing) with fingers on the trigger.

Erwin

Edit: Btw, for the rest it is a pretty good representation.

CHASEUSA11B

Great impression DeltaRecon, you clearly put in a lot of work especially with the extra effort in filling your ruck. I also like the extra canteens which is one of the first things you notice in period photos.

As for he finger in the trigger well I have to agree with Jeeper- a definite no no and one of the fundamental rules of weapon safety. I'm sure you can find pics of guys in Vietnam doing that but it's never a good idea and shows a lack of experience.

decontrol215

DeltaRecon has an airsoft weapon and while I agree they should be treated as the real deal I must point out there are plenty of pictures of grunts with their fingers on the triggers. I know DeltaRecon from another forum and I'm sure it was his intent to emulate that. I've also been told by many veterans that they often kept their weapons safed but had their fingers on the triggers while on patrol.

Capa, lookin good, especially like that the boonie is shaped rather than the floppy modern style.

I guess I'll hop on the 'Nam bandwagon and share one of mine as well:

E2 of the 2nd Battalion 7th Cavalry circa May 1970. In the background is the replica 'Satans Li'l Angel'. The original was destroyed in an ambush on 20 Feb 1971.

3fd5f3ae-b81c-4da8-9bf7-dc5a1cee0097_zps

da7fc824-2af2-4bc9-b35d-eb31c1277425_zps

2a9a6b12-4974-4c9a-a371-b31a6a71e96d_zps

536cde88-113d-48a0-97b9-247357f1e03e_zps

There should be 2 More canteens on the ruck hanging off drings but I forgot to clip them on.

DeltaRecon has an airsoft weapon and while I agree they should be treated as the real deal I must point out there are plenty of pictures of grunts with their fingers on the triggers. I know DeltaRecon from another forum and I'm sure it was his intent to emulate that. I've also been told by many veterans that they often kept their weapons safed but had their fingers on the triggers while on patrol.

Exactly what I was thinking. It's not like the guy had it pointed at anything.

Besides, what exactly do some of you think happens at a re-enactment? They do point weapons at people at those things, you know...

CHASEUSA11B

Exactly what I was thinking. It's not like the guy had it pointed at anything.

Besides, what exactly do some of you think happens at a re-enactment? They do point weapons at people at those things, you know...

Again, you can find many period pics of soldiers with their fingers on the trigger so as far as that goes its fine.

The point was that it was poor weapons safety and a poor habit to get into. The argument that he was not pointing it at anything is irrelevant as one of the fundamental rules of any weapon handling (air soft or real) is to keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to fire-also known as the master grip.

If you are actively engaged in reenactment of course you point your weapon when you have a target, that's something difficult together.

If you're going duck hunting you're going to shoot at things eventually but you sure as heck better not walk round with your finger in the trigger well until you have a target.

Either way I think the original impression is a good one and shows a lot of effort. We'll done.