Lets See Your Impressions!

FRISCAN

Are these shots from filming of Fury?? Very cool indeed.

Juan, I invited you to our next big thing in 2014. PM me if you've changed your mind! Nothing else on the planet like a 2nd Armored trip. also anyone else from the US interested, feel free to PM me and I'll set you up

Tom Bowers

US coordinator 2nd Armored in Europe

audacia cum prudentia

Juan, I invited you to our next big thing in 2014. PM me if you've changed your mind! Nothing else on the planet like a 2nd Armored trip. also anyone else from the US interested, feel free to PM me and I'll set you up

Tom Bowers

US coordinator 2nd Armored in Europe

As Tom said, the invitation to attend next year's 2014/70th anniversary trip in the ETO is open to anyone who passes muster. Contact Tom if within the CONUS, and myself if outside the USA.. No re-enactment will ever be the same afterwards though, I warn you.

post-7941-0-42436300-1382263084.jpg

post-7941-0-82296000-1382263138.jpg

audacia cum prudentia

post-7941-0-34977100-1382263220.jpgpost-7941-0-42802700-1382263239.jpg

As Tom said, the invitation to attend next year's 2014/70th anniversary trip in the ETO is open to anyone who passes muster. Contact Tom if within the CONUS, and myself if outside the USA.. No re-enactment will ever be the same afterwards though, I warn you.

439th Signal Battalion

9th Infantry Division RTO, Vietnam war 1969.

uynb.th.jpg

89ff.th.jpg

fhlq.th.jpg

aa0u.th.jpg

Nice impression, Old Reliable.

Some RTO's would often carry the PRC-25/77 inside the lightweight rucksack (which was attached higher on the frame) to disguise the fact that they were carrying the radio!

Thanks so much! I've already hear that, indeed even putting equipment over the radio had the same purpose. We are working to make our impressions even better, stay tuned!

Nice impression, Old Reliable.

Some RTO's would often carry the PRC-25/77 inside the lightweight rucksack (which was attached higher on the frame) to disguise the fact that they were carrying the radio!

Some, but not all. There are plenty of period photos that show radios. Attaching gear to the outside is a natural-the ST-138 (for example) has plenty of straps.

I think your impression looks great as is.

Some, but not all. There are plenty of period photos that show radios. Attaching gear to the outside is a natural-the ST-138 (for example) has plenty of straps.

Gear carried and how it was carried was not the same from one area of Vietnam to another. Guys in the 9th Division, Delta, operated in wet muddy conditions, went on lots of Eagle Flights, and returned to base camps fairly regularly. They did not carry near as much extra gear as troops that operated in triple canopy areas that were inserted and remained on patrol for several weeks at a time. As far as Vietnam field troop gear is concerned no two Divisions were likely to need the same equipment loads nor had the same habits of how they carried whatever they did take to the field. It all was predicated on how a unit operated and where it operated.

post-6574-0-50497900-1383148158.jpg

Since I have the day off, I decided to take a photo of a few of my impressions.

US Army Transportation School Instructor, Mid 1950's.

The Jacket is original and has original patches (except for the nametape, which I added temporarily). I don't plan on wearing this impression to an event anytime soon, as I'm too young to properly portray a Master Sergeant.

USArmyTransportationSchool1956_zps5e3214

US Army MAAG Advisor, Vietnam 1963

One of my favorite areas in collecting and research is the US advisory effort in Vietnam. The jacket is an original Vietnamese - made utility shirt. The poncho is also In-Country made.

MAAGAdvisor1963_zps676e09a2.jpg

I don't currently reenact, though I would love to. I'd like to find a unit in the Northern VA area, anything from WWI to Vietnam. Travel isn't too much of an option for me unfortunately.

Hope you like what you see. Comments/Critiques welcomed.

-Brent

Looks good!

Two points:

• TUCK IN THOSE BOOT LACES!
  • This doesn't have to be an instructor, could be any permanent party NCO on a training post, or perhaps going through a 1950s version of ANOC...

US Army Transportation School Instructor, Mid 1950's.

USArmyTransportationSchool1956_zps5e3214

Thanks Willy, I'll be sure to keep that in mind! Again, I don't plan on fielding this impression, but regardless I should know how to wear it right and definitely know what's behind the uniform.

-Brent

Okay I'll play, might as well as long as everyone else is. Let 'er rip and don't pull no punches.

The Poser

1450247_10151978406032072_1226245779_n_z

BAR live fire!

999591_10151979663602072_200151616_n_zps

I'm the one in front...

PA260017_zps1be48196.jpg

...and again

PA260016_zps6b0ef9d3.jpg

Standing

PA260019_zps85d04f39.jpg

And the short one in the rest

1395236_743914652290005_728185974_n_zps9

RiverOverlook_zps243a6cbf.jpg

Looking good! Where you located at?

Thanks Scott. I live in Florida but these were taken at Ft. Hood during the "Mounted Warfare Historic Vehicle Rally" that is held on the last weekend of October every year. For more info you can check the web site, http://mountedwarfarerally.weebly.com/. Not everyone kits up for it but I think it helps to add to the experience.

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

Thanks Willy, I'll be sure to keep that in mind! Again, I don't plan on fielding this impression, but regardless I should know how to wear it right and definitely know what's behind the uniform.

-Brent

I know it sounds pidly but the boot lace thing is a big deal. Soldiers always tucked in the boot laces and anything sticking out was considered a "gig" and you would be punitively treated. Sounds inane and nit picking but when you're on a fast movement in the field and your bootlace comes untied because it catches on something, then your boots get loose you can get blisters, slow the team down and cause unnecessary delays. Tie, maybe double tie them in a double knot and stick them down inside the top of the boot between your sock and the boot top.

The hair- many folks putting on unforms in the post WWII era have civilian hair, which is a complete giveaway and most of us don't nitpick. After Korea many Army NCO's shaved the sides of their head pretty clean but not always. The hair on the back of the neck and ears was usually short enough to separate a soldier from a civilian. Most Marines had shaved high and tights up toward Vietnam. Look at the Marines in Hue, they look like Marines.

Rock

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

Okay I'll play, might as well as long as everyone else is. Let 'er rip and don't pull no punches.

The Poser

1450247_10151978406032072_1226245779_n_z

BAR live fire!

999591_10151979663602072_200151616_n_zps

I'm the one in front...

PA260017_zps1be48196.jpg

...and again

PA260016_zps6b0ef9d3.jpg

On this picture (above) notice that a soldier is standing in front of an opening in the wall. You learn in urban combat not to take for granted that the building is secure, even if your guys are inside. It often changes hands mid stream and that opening exposes you to fire from the inside. Soldiers always learned to duck all openings and windows for this purpose. You cannot see what's inside but they can see you. Do not silhouette yourself. Just a pointer.

Same thing below. Also when you stick your rifle and part of your body into the open you will get hit.

Rock

PA260019_zps85d04f39.jpg

And the short one in the rest

1395236_743914652290005_728185974_n_zps9

RiverOverlook_zps243a6cbf.jpg

Pogranichnik92

Well, I thought I'd try a few photos of my own here! Most of my impressions are European or Warsaw Pact, but I do have plenty of in the works US GI ones, as well. These here are just a select few. I'm having to upload these one photo per post since it won't let me put them all in the same post (despite how small I resize them) for some reason...

First up in US Marine Corps Corporal. P1958 Sateen Utilities.

post-142026-0-34588600-1384386951.jpg

Pogranichnik92

Next up:

US Army Infantryman, Early/Mid 1980's and Grenada. Everything in this impression is dated 1983 or earlier. Took a nice long while to track down some actual "M1983" Woodlands that early!

post-142026-0-84360000-1384386993.jpg

Pogranichnik92

Two US Army Infantrymen take a break and discuss plans during a training exercise in West Germany.

Yes, I know neither of us have slings on our rifles. We had only one of the correct slings at the time between the two of us and it was on another rifle we were live firing earlier in the day. We didn't realize until after the photos had been taken and uploaded that they were missing. Next time the slings will definitely be present!

post-142026-0-16970800-1384387297.jpg

Great shots of the flak gear. The funny thing was I was looking at the photo and didn't notice who'd posted them. I recognized the Jeep by the plate # and I said out loud, "Hey, I know that Jeep!"