Lets See Your Impressions!

FRISCAN

BriansBricks

Why would being young ruin your impression? The men we portray were 18-into their 20's.

As far as your impression, I think it looks good! I'm no expert on WWI US but if I'm not mistaken patches weren't sewn on until post-war. Otherwise, everything else looks very good!

Regulation SSI's weren't, but I'm quite sure that handmade ones were seen during the late months of the war.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/99408-ww1-patches-non-bullion/

Thanks guys, I'm glad being underage for service (sixteen at the moment) doesn't take away from the overall impression.

4kte.jpg

l5i7.jpg

16th IR, 1st Infantry Division, Omaha Beach, Normandy, 6th June 1944

pgby.jpg

s874.jpg

551st PIB, Ardennes, January 1945

The only note I have is with your 551st PIB Impression. I see the bayonet on the rifle so you could probably ditch the M3. M3's were issued normally issued to Soldiers who had a weapon that didn't have a bayonet issued with it. M1903 and M1 users would have the cut down M1905E1 or M1 Bayonets by this time so the M3 wouldn't have been issued. M3's were normally issued to Soldiers with Carbines, M1, M1A1, M1928 or M3 sub Machineguns and Machinegun crews not issued the M1903 or M1 Rifle. Other than that, excellent job! You don't often see those overshoes, nor a 43 jacket over the cold weather ensemble trousers (misnamed tanker bibs).

Corpl. Cleaver

I threw this together last week. At this point it is a generic Merrill's Marauders impression.

It has not been fully researched and narrowed down to one of the teams within the marauders.

I pulled it on to see how it looked and how it felt, this impression is not ready to be worn for an event yet.

Boots and HBT trousers are reproductions, everything else is original including haversack and pocket contents.

Questions, comments, ideas etc... are welcomed.

Tyler

1173871_558755744190899_1253353791_n.jpg

934706_558755710857569_1873637352_n.jpg

redjoshman- the pic where i wear the assualt jacket was based on a pic from the book "spearheading d-day" in which i saw GI's embarking with additional blankets and some of them put blankets under the shovel. I agree that they didn't land with such a bulky arrangement of the equipment. thanks for the note on lifebelt..actually i thought a lot about that cause i saw as well lots of lifebelts under the vest but was not that sure..

mpguy80/08- thanks for the hint about the m3 knife.

and thanks a lot to you all for your appreciation!

124cav, Thank you very much. And I won't argue with you on the skinny part, haha

I say its ready for wear!

nice work and a rarely put together impression ! that can easily double up for any ground troops in the PTO as well

• 3 weeks later...

Saipan, 1944. 4th Marine Division.

qUvtwl4.jpg

vklp06R.jpg

4s4k77x.jpg

ibBy5Ze.jpg

Original, WWII
P41 Jacket, UNIS marked to Ordance Co. 4th Marine Div.
M1941 Pack Upper
M1941 Pack Lower
M1941 Suspenders
Reversable Poncho
Leggings
M1 Helmet
Seamen's Paper Co. Liner
2nd Pattern Helmet Cover
US Rifle, Cal. 30, M1
M1910 Canteen and cover
3rd Pattern "dog eared" Canteen and cover
Eyeglasses
M1 Bayonet
M1910 Entrenching tool and cover
Post-War
M1923 Cartridge Belt - Greek production
P41 Trousers - Korean War
Chicken, Golden Comet,
M2012 Child
Reproductions
Boondockers - WWII Impressions

horsecavalry
Below is a link to photos of some of my US impressions.
I've blurred the faces of the person in the photos at the link. Most photos are of me and I'm just too shy to have my goofy mug plastered all over the Internet. Some photos are of other persons wearing one of my uniforms and I wanted to respect their privacy. Thanks for understanding.
I don't have photos for every impression I can do or have done as I have often forgotten to get a photo taken when at an event or, in many cases, I have yet to scan the older, hardcopy photos from days gone by.
This selection ranges from 1872 to 1991 and includes Army, Navy, Air Force and Marine impressions. There are a number of mounted impressions as well as dismounted; trumpeter / bugler, infantry, coast artillery, and military police are included.
I found some nice, clear photos of my 1944 cavalry impression with horse and his M4 gas mask (I recall that when I tried to get him to wear the mask for a photo op, he thought it was a feedbag and wanted to nibble the mask ---- I decided I'd better not try that again).
Here's the link:
Regards,
Scott

Here are two more of my 37th Division impressions. Portraying my great uncle of F/145th at a local Honor Flight. This is my Class A impression of what he would have worn before shipping off to the Pacific in May 1942. I had the honor and the privilege of meeting this 129th Regiment veteran who served in all 3 campaigns the 37th was with. The icing on the cake is that he actually knew my great uncle during the war, he told me he was surprised he made it out.

My other impression is of my great uncle when he was a machine gun squad leader in Manila in February 1945. I'm currently working on my New Georgia and Bougainville impressions, as he was a machine gunner in both of those campaigns. Thankfully I've been able to find a 1917A1 to borrow for when I do it. Will post those impressions when they're completed.

2ns6kh4.jpg

25iox8h.jpg

Here are two more of my 37th Division impressions. Portraying my great uncle of F/145th at a local Honor Flight. This is my Class A impression of what he would have worn before shipping off to the Pacific in May 1942. I had the honor and the privilege of meeting this 129th Regiment veteran who served in all 3 campaigns the 37th was with. The icing on the cake is that he actually knew my great uncle during the war, he told me he was surprised he made it out.

My other impression is of my great uncle when he was a machine gun squad leader in Manila in February 1945. I'm currently working on my New Georgia and Bougainville impressions, as he was a machine gunner in both of those campaigns. Thankfully I've been able to find a 1917A1 to borrow for when I do it. Will post those impressions when they're completed.

2ns6kh4.jpg

25iox8h.jpg

A very interesting choice of background, La Ciudadela de Intramuros no doubt.

Intramuros no

A very interesting choice of background, La Ciudadela de Intramuros no doubt.

Intramuros no

This was at a local museum that I volunteer at. I did presentations for a school group that day and that was probably the best backdrop there. It was the closest I could get to the huge post office that F/145th fought at in Intramuros.

This was at a local museum that I volunteer at. I did presentations for a school group that day and that was probably the best backdrop there. It was the closest I could get to the huge post office that F/145th fought at in Intramuros.

Too bad you couldn't of spread some debris around, Intramuros as we know was unfortunately quite the pile heap during the battle, it's once mighty walls pocked marked and all.

Too bad you couldn't of spread some debris around, Intramuros as we know was unfortunately quite the pile heap during the battle, it's once mighty walls pocked marked and all.

I'm well aware....

Hey 2nd Div, how come your not wearing the 37th Div patch, according to this painting of the Battle of Manila it was worn by the Buckeyes :lol:

post-34986-0-57513000-1381271415.jpg

He is wearing the 37th division patch on his Class A's? The Buckeyes are the 37th Division? Unless I am missing something.
Wearing SSI on HBT's was not seen that often as it was a fatigue uniform.

He is wearing the 37th division patch on his Class A's? The Buckeyes are the 37th Division? Unless I am missing something.

Wearing SSI on HBT's was not seen that often as it was a fatigue uniform.

Voodoo, it's depicted in the painting above, a painting of the Battle of Manila, the artist painted the men in this painting with the Division patch on their fatiques (fatiques in this case for WWII in the Pacific being the M43 OD HBT), not accurate as you stated this wear of shoulder patches in the pacific. It was by me a jibe, as to play off this painting, that 2nd Div should have had the 37th Div's patch on his field uniform as well.

I have yet to see a unit patch on HBT's during WWII. I've only ever seen one picture of stripes being worn on HBT's. Oddly enough, it was a S/Sgt. from the 145th Regiment. However, it was a picture taken at the surrender of Japanese forces in Luzon.

I have yet to see a unit patch on HBT's during WWII. I've only ever seen one picture of stripes being worn on HBT's. Oddly enough, it was a S/Sgt. from the 145th Regiment. However, it was a picture taken at the surrender of Japanese forces in Luzon.

YES YES, :lol: I was being funny guys, compairing YOUR accurate impression of a Buckeye Div GI at Manila, to the modern day painting of the battle, where the artist took very liberal license in portraying the troops of the Buckeye Division wearing....... shoulder patches, this being wholly inaccurate.

Below is a link to photos of some of my US impressions.
I've blurred the faces of the person in the photos at the link. Most photos are of me and I'm just too shy to have my goofy mug plastered all over the Internet. Some photos are of other persons wearing one of my uniforms and I wanted to respect their privacy. Thanks for understanding.
I don't have photos for every impression I can do or have done as I have often forgotten to get a photo taken when at an event or, in many cases, I have yet to scan the older, hardcopy photos from days gone by.
This selection ranges from 1872 to 1991 and includes Army, Navy, Air Force and Marine impressions. There are a number of mounted impressions as well as dismounted; trumpeter / bugler, infantry, coast artillery, and military police are included.
I found some nice, clear photos of my 1944 cavalry impression with horse and his M4 gas mask (I recall that when I tried to get him to wear the mask for a photo op, he thought it was a feedbag and wanted to nibble the mask ---- I decided I'd better not try that again).
Here's the link:
Regards,
Scott

Top stuff,Scott.

I think we have met online before,i'm the Australian dude that collects ww2 US hrse and mule stuff.

Your Cavalry gear is great.

Regards

Sam

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the kind words. Haven't been doing much horse cavalry in the past years, but sure do love it.

Have many other saddles and gear but no pix for them. Especially want to equip and take pix of my US 1912 experimental saddle. It's in really good (maybe excellent?) shape....i.e. no broken sidebar hinges. My cav pardner has 98% of the equipments that go with that saddle, but we don't have the doughnut ring belt or the rifle "bucket".

Also want to do some mounted shots of my Constabulary setup as well as Coast Guard beach patrol (can actually do this on one of the stretches of West Coast beach where this happened during WWII).

The one pix I really, really want to get is of my cav pardner and me doing early 1940s cavalry with full equipments, horse gas masks (my pard has the M5 type for his horse) and the pack horse (with the 1926 Phillips pack saddle) and our M1917A1 MG packed on the Phillips. Just been tough to coordinate schedules....

I do recall your posts from the WW2 Reenactors forum and the Society of the Military Horse site. I always enjoy seeing the incredible range of cavalry related photos you share.

Regards,

Scott