ROTC Superior Cadet Medal Set

Allan H.

And now for something a little bit different- this is the Superior Cadet Medal, ribbon bar and lapel pin.

The Superior Cadet Medal is actually an award authorized by the Department of the Army. The medal is only awarded to Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC) cadets in their MS IV (Senior) year. It is the second highest award given Specifically to ROTC cadets with the highest being the Medal for Heroism. These medals really aren't commonly seen as they are only awarded to the top cadet in a school's Senior ROTC program.

The medal pendant is the same as the Junior Superior Cadet medal given to the top cadet in a high school program. The difference is that the ribbon colors are reversed with the field being blue with red stripes on Junior ROTC version of the award.

These medal sets come in the standard US plush case and come complete with a certificate that comes in the green vinyl folders like other military awards.

Allan

post-151-0-48011100-1411395988.jpg

post-151-0-39280900-1411396004.jpg

post-151-0-18547000-1411396022.jpg

There are actually 4 medals of this sort:

Then one Allan posted is:

Army ROTC Cadet - Superior Service Medal - Senior Division

The other three are:

Army ROTC Cadet - Superior Service Medal - Military Schools Division

Army ROTC Cadet - Superior Service Medal - NDCC (National Defense Corps Cadet)

Army ROTC Cadet - Superior Service Medal - Junior Division

All with the same reverse as show on Allan's example:

Army ROTC Cadet - Superior Service Medal - Military Schools Division

post-135-0-13956100-1411401744.jpg

Darrell,

Thanks for posting the other examples. I vaguely recall one of the ones that I posted being awarded when I was in ROTC, but I can tell you that I sure wasn't even in the running for it. I obviously knew about the Junior ROTC example but had no idea about the Military Schools Division or the National Defense Corps Division awards. Can you tell us more about them? Are they relatively new? Honestly, I have no idea what the National Defense Corps is either.

Allan

Allan, not sure I have any info as to exactly what they were awarded for. I will check my info at home to see if I managed to get any details when I got them years and years ago.

Allan

Excellent example....I think this is a vastly under-appreciated award that speaks volumes about the type of leadership qualities we recruit and instill in our future leaders...

And now for something a little bit different- this is the Superior Cadet Medal, ribbon bar and lapel pin.

The Superior Cadet Medal is actually an award authorized by the Department of the Army. The medal is only awarded to Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC) cadets in their MS IV (Senior) year. It is the second highest award given Specifically to ROTC cadets with the highest being the Medal for Heroism. These medals really aren't commonly seen as they are only awarded to the top cadet in a school's Senior ROTC program.

The medal pendant is the same as the Junior Superior Cadet medal given to the top cadet in a high school program. The difference is that the ribbon colors are reversed with the field being blue with red stripes on Junior ROTC version of the award.

These medal sets come in the standard US plush case and come complete with a certificate that comes in the green vinyl folders like other military awards.

Allan

I fully expected to see the back of this medal engraved A.L.H. or similar! You sure this isn't yours Big Al?

John,

My claim to fame while in ROTC was that I had two double time cadences that made fun of the Professor of Military Science. He was not my biggest fan. My greatest contribution to the Jayhawk Corps was to switch name tags on the class A uniforms of our resident prior service Special Forces Staff Sergeant (Master para, Ranger, scuba, foreign jump wings etc) and our class' biggest jerk. I did it on official military photo day and nobody noticed until after photos were taken. I was particularly proud of myself for that one.

No, there were no Superior Cadet medals for me. If there had been an "Inferior Cadet" medal, MAYBE.

Allan

Here is another ROTC Medal I have in my collection.

ROTC Medal for Heroism

ROTC cadets who distinguish themselves by acts of heroism performed on or off campus. Act must result in accomplishment so exceptional / outstanding as to set cadet apart from others in similar circumstances and must involve acceptance of danger or extraordinary responsibilities exemplifying praiseworthy fortitude and courage.

post-135-0-61243300-1411652774.jpg

Darrell,

I think that medal deserves its own thread. The Medal for Heroism is the ROTC equivalent of the Soldiers' Medal for US Army personnel, but they are very rarely ever awarded.

Thanks for sharing it.

Allan

When I was in ROTC on college, nobody was awarded this medal (I looked at my senior year award program, which I still had tucked away). The superior cadet was awarded an engraved Army saber instead.

We didn't take awards like that seriously, especially our senior year, because we rarely ever wore our class As and our award ceremony was the last day we ever wore our kay-det class As, so none of the seniors who were awarded medals ever took them out of the case and never got to wear the things.

I was given an award for the stufy of military history, which was a book on soldier statesmen with a nice bookplate on the inside saying what it was for and my name. I still have it in my book case (which is where that awards program was tucked away at) and it was nicer in the long run than any kay-det medal.

Darrell,

I think that medal deserves its own thread. The Medal for Heroism is the ROTC equivalent of the Soldiers' Medal for US Army personnel, but they are very rarely ever awarded.

Very rarely, indeed. I think they had to be signed off at the Brigade level. We had two cadets who pulled a family out of a burning car on a highway once, and the cadre decided not to press for the medal for either of them.

Saw it plenty of times on active duty, too, but anyone's who has ever served could say the same.

Medals. Meh.