Uniform cleaning

Stinger Gunner USMC

Stinger Gunner USMC

I have a number of WWII era Navy White items that have yellowed badly over the years. What, if any, would be the best way to get these items looking better?

James,

My wife recently cleaned a very yellowed WWII USN white uniform for me, and I would say that about 1/2 - 2/3 of the yellow stains came out, as well as the white brightened up considerably. This stuff did not bother the colors on the rate patches, either. She used "Rit White-Wash" Stain Remover & Whitener for Non-Bleachable Whites. She said that it's been around for years, and she made a believer out of me.

Stinger Gunner USMC
James,

My wife recently cleaned a very yellowed WWII USN white uniform for me, and I would say that about 1/2 - 2/3 of the yellow stains came out, as well as the white brightened up considerably. This stuff did not bother the colors on the rate patches, either. She used "Rit White-Wash" Stain Remover & Whitener for Non-Bleachable Whites. She said that it's been around for years, and she made a believer out of me.

Thanks for the tip!

jeremiahcable

Oxyclean does a bang up job as well but you have to bear in mind that most modern cloth whiteners or brighteners will make the material reactive to black light, to some extent.