A rare wing from today's flea market - Amico Sr Pilot and Beverlycraft gold pilot

pfrost

It has been a dry spell, but I finally found a couple of good wings.

This is a very rare senior service pilot wing made by AMICO. I suspect that this is a factory-made version, rather than a post-purchase modification made by a jeweler.

I've never seen an AMICO senior service pilot wing. This one has actually seen some use.

The service pilot rating was established in 1942. The requirements for being a service pilot was being physically and technically qualified pilot with previous civilian experience, passing a flight test/exam, and being recommended by a board of officers. The senior service pilot rating was established in 1944. The qualifications for the rating of senior service pilot was 1,500 hours flying with the military and 5 years experience (but I am not sure if that is military or civilian flight experience). Thus, it was possible that some WWII pilots were able to achieve the senior service pilot wing before the end of the war.

post-1519-0-76437600-1411338492.jpg

Just the one wing would have been nice, but I also ran into this one as well. Its a gilt Beverly Craft wing. Probably a flight instructor wing, but could also be a sweetheart wing. Sorry about the quality of the pictures, but my scanner is broken. This is the only gilt Beverly Craft pilot wing I have every seen (although I wouldn't be shocked if Russ pulled one out of his collection)!. :lol:

post-1519-0-65921700-1411339785.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
LegGrunt71

Just the one wing would have been nice, but I also ran into this one as well. Its a gilt Beverly Craft wing. Probably a flight instructor wing, but could also be a sweetheart wing. Sorry about the quality of the pictures, but my scanner is broken. This is the only gilt Beverly Craft pilot wing I have every seen (although I wouldn't be shocked if Russ pulled one out of his collection)!. :lol:

Sorry PFrost,

You've been helping me today with wings, but I have to bust your bubble! :blush:

post-158219-0-96349000-1430530500.jpg

post-158219-0-92637400-1430530518.jpg

• 1 month later...

Patrick,

I have come back to this thread a few times and the Beverlycraft wing is beautiful and unique but that Amico Senior service pilot wing is spectacular, from the placement of the star at the flush rear of the shield and the size of the star relative to the wing itself along with the service pilot "S", just harmonize in a fantastic martial beauty. The frosting on the cake though is the drop in catch with the correct partial opening pin. An awesome find my friend and an aesthetic treat to look at! Well done as always.....

• 2 months later...