SB2C Helldiver gunners training bases/stations early-mid 1944.

northcoastaero

northcoastaero

I am doing some research on Curtiss Helldiver gunners and would like to know where they received their

simulation and actual gunnery training in the SBD-5 Dauntless, SB2C-1C, and SB2C-3 during early-mid

1944. Any help would be appreciated. Thank-you.

Just to get at least something out there for you, I think that many or most gunners went through the NATTC at Norman, Oklahoma. I have had several USN aerial gunner things where the men's indicating Combat Aircrew training there. This might help a little:

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/ref/USN-Act/OK.html

I think the Oklahoma training was specific to all all gunners and not just SBD and SB2C gunners.

I have seen some things and mentions from NAS Banana River, FL too, but that may have been more for the multi engine patrol aircraft.

MW

• 2 years later...
Helldiver son

I am doing some research on Curtiss Helldiver gunners and would like to know where they received their

simulation and actual gunnery training in the SBD-5 Dauntless, SB2C-1C, and SB2C-3 during early-mid

1944. Any help would be appreciated. Thank-you.

I just joined this portal. I stumbled across your posting. If you are still interested in the answer, a large contingent of radio Navigators for the SB2C trained at College Station, Texas (Texas A&M now). I know this as My father taught radio training there to crews for 16 weeks which probably kept him alive before he shipped over with the Marine Scout Bombing Squadron VMSB-151 AliBaba flying the Helldivers. He was a radio/navigator/gunner. I say "saved him" as the rudder issue killed a number of the crews as they could not pull out of a dive. The engineering changes were coming fast to theater. Out of his Paris Island platoon of 72 Marines only four came back alive. The only reason he made it was he was standing on the wing and a mechanic accidentally gunned the engine and he fell off and broke his leg. Many stories.

northcoastaero

Helldiver son,

Thank-you for the information on the USMC Helldiver radio/navigator/gunner training school. Probably not well known info. My primary focus is on the WWII USN Helldiver radio/gunner training schools. I guess that I should

have been more specific on the previous posts. I do appreciate the input.