Lets see some USMC Good Conduct Medals

DevilDan1900

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Here's a rim #'d WW1 GCM - # on the medal matches the one on the box. Interesting that it is also engraved (must have been done privately, but it was very professionally done).

Kurt

post-322-1269471847.jpgpost-322-1269471866.jpg

Hit a mother load today. Many things to follow. Numbered rim with box. Is this combination scarce? Thanks, Al.

post-12790-0-52819400-1353113659_thumb.jpg

You should request his album and confirm it's his, it would up the value

The last boxed rim numbered USMC GC I saw on eBay brought around $150 I believe

You should request his album and confirm it's his, it would up the value

The last boxed rim numbered USMC GC I saw on eBay brought around $150 I believe

Thanks for the reply Brig. I've not done that before. Can you tutor me on the process? I did not think that you could ID a medal with its number to the individual. Or would the paperwork show the medal number? Thanks again, Al.

Al,

Scott Smith published a monograph on Marine Corps Good Conduct Medals that contains a list of numbered medals to their recipients. Unfortunately it has less than 1% of the some 50,000 World War One medals that were issued. There is no other way that I know of to cross the number on those medals to the Marines that received them.

Now if the round dog tag you have goes with the Good Conduct Medal then you have what you need to fill out an SF-180 and send it to the NPRC in St. Louis and get his records. It will take several weeks and probably cost you $70.00.

Hope this helps.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

I have a copy of that book coming. However, I assume the tag goes with it. As Bruce said, the SF-180 is the way to go. On the line that asks for information requested, simply ask for a copy of his Discharge Certificate...often times GCM numbers were listed on the back of this document. For the document, it will be free. The $70 will come in if you want his full record, which involves lots of copies of the Muster Rolls and such that are accessible on Ancestry.com

If it is not his tag, I can check the book when it gets here, otherwise there is no list. Unless you get lucky and stumble on his original discharge document or his file in an actual NARA visit

This is a relatively early example, with the open catch on the top bar. Richardson was entitled to, but never claimed, the following medals; Dominican Campaign, Mexican Service, Expeditionary, WWI Victory (with Aisne and DS bars) and a Purple Heart. He was wounded June 13, 1918 while serving with the 18th Co., 5th Regiment.

post-10651-0-71651500-1353183739_thumb.jpg

Here is John R. Angstadt's Good Conduct Medal and a picture of him as Horse Marine in China. He is posing with Good Chance the horse he rode to win the silver "Horsemanship Cup", Peiping, China on 20 April 1937.

Dick

post-9487-0-29207800-1353260649_thumb.jpg

Here's another six digit with a slightly higher number and identical engraving. Gray served in engineer units on Guadalcanal and Okinawa during the war.

post-10651-0-14332300-1353355513.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Don't think I posted this one here yet. To Donald Rusk, Distinguished Rifleman, winner of the President's Cup and veteran of the 2nd Nic campaign

101_0872.JPG

Sadly, the enlistment dates on this were removed at some point. Thankfully, his name and number were not, so history is preserved!

$T2eC16V,!zUE9s38+!Z6BQtC!5B3Lg~~60_57.JPG

• 3 weeks later...