Lets see some USMC Good Conduct Medals

DevilDan1900

Here's the entry in Burns' service book, showing the approval of the award in Jan 1939. There was no explanation as to the reason for the 30 year delay in issuing the medal. My guess is that in 1909 he didn't have the necessary marks to qualify for the medal at that time. But by 1939 the requirements were much more relaxed and he became eligible under the new rules. However he would have had to apply for the medal at that time; the review would not have happened automatically.

post-10651-1269478368.jpg

Here's an amusing entry in Burns' service book. "Caught in a raid on a 'disorderly house' and "detained as a witness'".

Witness to what???? I'm sure there was a story there and that it was retold many times over the years...

"I.H.C.A." = In Hands of Civil Authorities = detained by civilian police.

post-10651-1269478652.jpg

Here’s an interesting one. (Or rather an unusual one that turned out to be very interesting.)

This is an authentic USMC Good Conduct Medal, engraved on the reverse “No. 97252 / Harold S. Moulson, Jr. / 2nd Enlistment / 1931 – 1935”. The engraving is in the proper format and the number is in the correct range for the date, but something about it just doesn’t look “right”. The is engraving is too plain for 1935, it looks more like the engraving found on the post-war GCMs with the “No. A---“ that are dated 1945 or 1946. Also the medal itself isn’t correct for a pre-war award. The finish is wrong, as is the machine stitched ribbon.

But it turns out that the medal is 100% authentic, it’s just a replacement issue for an original that was lost. Normally replacement medals are much less desirable but with this medal I don’t think that’s the case. The documents below tell the full story, which is actually pretty neat. I scanned these documents from Moulson’s Marine Corps service file in St. Louis. There was a similar document for his Navy Good Conduct Medal in his USN service file, as he transferred to the Navy after his second USMC enlistment.

post-10651-1269742700.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
FrankEaton01
I have one Good conduct with number on rim 45319. Is it WW2 ???

thank you

Lubos

Hi Lubos,

Rim numbered USMC Good Conduct Medals should have an "No." prefix, and they were issued shortly after WWI.

Hi Lubos,

Rim numbered USMC Good Conduct Medals should have an "No." prefix, and they were issued shortly after WWI.

Thank you for informaation

• 2 weeks later...

Got a couple more GCM's in a trade (thanks, Stategist!). If anyone has info on these Marines that would aid me in researching them, I would be very appreciative.

post-297-1271892594.jpg

Brooks E. Forester

1st Enlistment

1934-1940

This one is also my first "B" numbered GCM

I was told that the three I posted above appeared to be China Marines, but have not yet found any documentation to confirm or deny.

G

• 4 weeks later...

great 1910 medal that went for a song at 103. Would have added it to my collection, but the power died and stayed out for 6 hours before I could bid :crying:

_BtfOrK__mk___KGrHqEOKikEvMhnK7BJBL8KQdRGTQ___3.jpg

_BtfOsQQEWk___KGrHqMOKkEEvOPSvwvCBL8KQgfgrw___3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
VolunteerArmoury

Hope the link attached itself but I don't know USMC Good Conduct medals that well. Is this a re-strike/reproduction?

post-373-1282240690.jpg

Chad,

I believe the USMC Good Conduct Medal in question is a modern reproduction.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

nice one that brough $177 last month, arguably a steal as it's 1905-1909...seems as if someone tried to remove the dates and enlistment number for some reason...

_C_GYoWgBGk___KGrHqV__k0Ez_4c2S6_BNBttq349g___3.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
teufelhunde.ret

Very scarce three digit MGC sold last night on ebay for $800, despite missing its bar and drape. I understand finding a period "C" clip bar being nearly impossible to locate... Frank A. Roche enlisted in 1884, a career Private, he served 30 years, the vast majority of his time was aboard ship. He did participate in the Span-Am Campaign, could not determine if he served in the Boxer or Philippine Campaigns. Finally, 24 years later, made Corporal in 1908 only to get busted to Private within a few months. He retired in Jan 1912, having been promoted to Corporal the month prior.

DSCN_23880.jpg

DSCN_23879.jpg