Lets see some USMC Good Conduct Medals

DevilDan1900

34 minutes ago, Bill_Carman said:

Here is a Good Conduct Medal awarded to Private Calvin I Matthews; he was wounded during the battle of Tientsin, July 13, 1900.

IMG_5443.jpg

IMG_5444.jpg

IMG_5445.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-01.jpg

13.jpg

16-1.jpg

@Dirk

Here is a nice three digit "Type II" Good Conduct Medal, No. 214.  The brooch has been replaced since the "C" clasp style was not too sturdy.  Walter Vincent was a Fifer on the USS Olympia.  Also pictured is his Dewey Medal, his Philippine (588) and Spanish (420) Campaign Medals are missing.

IMG_5449.jpg

IMG_5450.jpg

IMG_5455.jpg

IMG_5447.jpg

5 hours ago, Bill_Carman said:

Here is a Good Conduct Medal awarded to Private Calvin I Matthews; he was wounded during the battle of Tientsin, July 13, 1900.

IMG_5443.jpg

IMG_5444.jpg

IMG_5445.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-01.jpg

13.jpg

16-1.jpg

Very nice GCM.

Ken

2 minutes ago, Bill_Carman said:

Here is a nice three digit "Type II" Good Conduct Medal, No. 214.  The brooch has been replaced since the "C" clasp style was not too sturdy.  Walter Vincent was a Fifer on the USS Olympia.  Also pictured is his Dewey Medal, his Philippine (588) and Spanish (420) Campaign Medals are missing.

IMG_5449.jpg

IMG_5450.jpg

IMG_5455.jpg

IMG_5447.jpg

And again.

Ken

This Good Conduct Medal, a Type V, was awarded to Kay D Fenderson, he served only one enlistment 1910 -1914.  He was also a pretty good marksman on the rifle range.

IMG_5458.jpg

IMG_5457.jpg

IMG_5456.jpg

IMG_5459.jpg

IMG_5460.jpg

IMG_5461.jpg

This Good Conduct Medal was awarded to Charles P Bresnahan, it is a Type II with a flat "C" catch.  He also was awarded a Spanish Campaign (649) and a Sampson Medal with the USS Vicksburg bar.

I do appreciate all the comments these awards have received from Forum Members, I figured it was time to get them out of the safe and share them.  Thanks for looking.

IMG_5462.jpg

IMG_5464.jpg

IMG_5465.jpg

SampsonGroup_1.jpg

Here is a group to a Marine who earned an Air Medal in the Solomon Islands. He didn’t receive his A-Numbered 1943 dated GCM until 1948

IMG_1435.jpeg

IMG_1372.jpeg

IMG_1373.jpeg

IMG_1374.png

IMG_1375.jpeg

IMG_1376.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Bill, the name "Bresnahan" rang a bell for me. It turns out I'd researched the group many years ago. Fortunately I saved copies of the photocopied documents in my digital archive. These four documents were copies at the National Archives in DC, although I think they have since been relocated to St. Louis. I have higher resolution copies that I can send if you PM me.

bresnahan 04a.jpg

bresnahan 03a.jpg

bresnahan 02a.jpg

bresnahan 01a.jpg

• 4 months later...

So I showed this Bruce Linz in Nashville in November 2023 that I bought from a guys table. I found it late on Worthpoint!!

[https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/original-wwi-usmc-marine-corps-1930426371]

Anyway no clues there but this medal 21724 was close to a numbered Good Conduct Medal that I sold in a group in 2012 No. 21723 to Hugh D. Greer - 3 Greer Brothers all enlisted in Ohio on 4/19/17 - Reed, Hugh, and William - I had my researcher check and although the bars were added by a collector to the medal. My medal turned out to be for William Thomas Bell Greer.

William received the SS Citation and CdG with Bronze Star for Belleau Wood - Catlin in "With the help of God...." cited him on pg 364

"Conspicuous for his Bravery and coolness under fire Has rendered invaluable service to his company commander in delivery of messages under difficult circumstances."

He stayed in the regular MC until 1925 mostly recruiting and the Reserves until 1931.

In reviewing William's SRB there is no indication that he applied for a Silver Star Medal nor a Purple Heart Medal (He was gassed later in the war).

The first photos are from Worthpoint - I installed a proper WWI top assembly that I had as a spare.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg