Lets see some USMC Good Conduct Medals

DevilDan1900

FrankEaton01

This one's not named or numbered, but I like it because it's the latest production example I've seen with a top bar. Both the pendant and bar are hallmarked by Volupte, Inc., and the box is dated 12/63.

18570f05.jpg1bc0eeb1.jpg

d7d3680d.jpg

6a8c3c4e.jpg

e9fca022.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Ive always been interested in the first style USMC CG medal but always get outbid or find them at shows for alot of money. Im mostly a patch collector but I am branching into the medal field amongst many others. What are realistic prices for the flowowing;

Pre WWI USMC CG Medal?

WWI USMC CG medal?

Interm eriod USMC CG medal?

WWII USMC CG medal?

Post WWII/pre 2nd style USMC CG medal?

I know that enlisment bars add to the value as well as moany other cariables but I'm just looking for a general ballpark figue since I want to add at least one to my collection (hopefully more).

Thanks,

Drew

Pre WWI USMC CG Medal?- You will only find these engraved. the Lower the number, the higher the value. Keep in mind that 99% of these named GCs are researchably through the muster rolls, so his service will also add to the value. I'd expect to pay a minimum of $250 for one of these, I'd say a fair estiamted range is 250-400

WWI USMC CG medal?-Named? harder to find, since they stopped issuing named medals for drafted Marines and started issuing medals with Rim Numbers and not named. These are much harder to research, and I'd say a fair estimate for a rim-numbered medal is about 60-80 bucks. again, the lower the number the more valuable

Interm eriod USMC CG medal?-Engraved, I'd say $150 on a really good day up to $300 is a fair range estimate

WWII USMC CG medal?-Depends on if it's numbered, stamped, and if the number is A or B stamped. These often bring more money than many interim period. I'd say $150-$250

I've gotten lucky so far and haven't paid over $150 for one. that's about my cap, being more of an EGA guy myself

Pre WWI USMC CG Medal?- You will only find these engraved. the Lower the number, the higher the value. Keep in mind that 99% of these named GCs are researchably through the muster rolls, so his service will also add to the value. I'd expect to pay a minimum of $250 for one of these, I'd say a fair estiamted range is 250-400

WWI USMC CG medal?-Named? harder to find, since they stopped issuing named medals for drafted Marines and started issuing medals with Rim Numbers and not named. These are much harder to research, and I'd say a fair estimate for a rim-numbered medal is about 60-80 bucks. again, the lower the number the more valuable

Interm eriod USMC CG medal?-Engraved, I'd say $150 on a really good day up to $300 is a fair range estimate

WWII USMC CG medal?-Depends on if it's numbered, stamped, and if the number is A or B stamped. These often bring more money than many interim period. I'd say $150-$250

I've gotten lucky so far and haven't paid over $150 for one. that's about my cap, being more of an EGA guy myself

Thanks!

Drew

• 2 weeks later...

I have been reading with interest the posts on this topic. I just recently bought my first GCM and when I get it, I will post it. In the meantime, I saw this other one being auctioned on eBay with good pictures that I thought everyone would enjoy.

post-70-1241975336.jpg

post-70-1241975347.jpg

post-70-1241975358.jpg

post-70-1241975369.jpg

post-70-1241975385.jpg

saw that, too. seems like the man had his rim-numbered medal privately engraved with his initials...and then reenlisted after his draft time was up

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I thought I had seen one similar on ebay lately, was that it? I recall the one I saw like that said "original box." If that's the same, the box is not original, for any issue of that medal.

G

Here is my Belleau Wood PH group including the recipiant's GCM that I got off the forum not too long ago. It is unnamed and numbered as issued. The group includes a 1942 letter verifying the number!

-Ski

post-3043-1265170795.jpg

• 1 month later...

GCM from a group to Leonard A. Booker. He was killed on Tarawa on 20 Nov 1943. The photo was scanned from his service file in St. Louis.

Does anyone know the location of his Purple Heart? It's the only medal missing from his group.

post-10651-1269120780.jpg

post-10651-1269121928.jpg

Entry in the service book for the medal to Haggerty shown above. This was scanned from his service file in St. Louis.

post-10651-1269208912.jpg

Service card for the medal shown above. Note the entry for the Good Conduct Medal at the bottom.

post-10651-1269209018.jpg

Another type 3. Richardson was WIA on 12 June 1918 while serving with the 18th Co., 5th Marines.

post-10651-1269209271.jpg