Lets see some USMC Good Conduct Medals

DevilDan1900

• 5 months later...

Here's a nice five bar that's part of a campaign medal group covering 1917 to 1947. The 3rd through 6th are all engraved on the reverse. The 7th Enlistment bar was probably issued post WWII and is blank on the reverse. Holton's first enlistment was in the Army, with combat service in the AEF. He was at Pearl Harbor on 7 Dec 41.

post-10651-0-43612600-1533232019_thumb.jpg

Here's a nice five bar that's part of a campaign medal group covering 1917 to 1947. The 3rd through 6th are all engraved on the reverse. The 7th Enlistment bar was probably issued post WWII and is blank on the reverse. Holton's first enlistment was in the Army, with combat service in the AEF. He was at Pearl Harbor on 7 Dec 41.

A rare medal indeed...thanks for sharing the images!

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Heres my contribution acknowledging the service of one obviously patriotic Marine. With beginner's dumb luck i was able to adjust the lighting so that the engraving stands out: the patina is actually a dark chocolate toning typical of the era (evidenced by the rifle, which is tilted at a different angle in this photo).

post-152102-0-09024100-1562242203_thumb.jpg

aerialbridge

Maybe not born on the 4th of July, but he got his good conduct on the 4th of July. Beautiful medal. .

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

As you probably know rim numbered, World War I, USMC Good Conduct Medals were rarely official named. These medals, No. 20000 through about No. 70000, were almost always issued unnamed. I have observed several examples like yours that have the Marine's initials engraved in script on the reverse. Do you have a name associated with this medal? Its a beauty, thanks for showing it.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

Here is a GCM to Private Minnie Evangeline Wright United States Marine Corps. During WWI the Marine Corps experienced many casualties in Europe. Men were working at Marine Corps offices in the United States who could be sent overseas, their jobs could be filled by women. When the Marine Corps announced that women would be allowed to join to help “free a man to fight,” the response was overwhelming. In New York City over 2000 women showed up at the recruiting office. The greatest need was for stenographers, bookkeepers, accountants, and typists. Since there would not be time to train the women, the recruits had to be able to demonstrate their abilities and underwent rigorous exams. Two-thousand women applied in New York City only five were accepted. The 305 women selected for enlistment into the Marine Corps had unusually high speed and accuracy as stenographers and typists. Pvt. Minnie E. Wright was one of those 305 woman Marines.

post-9487-0-73348800-1578175852_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-70106600-1578175861.jpg

post-9487-0-95214500-1578175872_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-91761700-1578175893_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-20826200-1578175900_thumb.jpg

Hello,

As you probably know rim numbered, World War I, USMC Good Conduct Medals were rarely official named. These medals, No. 20000 through about No. 70000, were almost always issued unnamed. I have observed several examples like yours that have the Marine's initials engraved in script on the reverse. Do you have a name associated with this medal? Its a beauty, thanks for showing it.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

Sorry but no name.

Here is a GCM to Private Minnie Evangeline Wright United States Marine Corps. During WWI the Marine Corps experienced many casualties in Europe. Men were working at Marine Corps offices in the United States who could be sent overseas, their jobs could be filled by women. When the Marine Corps announced that women would be allowed to join to help “free a man to fight,” the response was overwhelming. In New York City over 2000 women showed up at the recruiting office. The greatest need was for stenographers, bookkeepers, accountants, and typists. Since there would not be time to train the women, the recruits had to be able to demonstrate their abilities and underwent rigorous exams. Two-thousand women applied in New York City only five were accepted. The 305 women selected for enlistment into the Marine Corps had unusually high speed and accuracy as stenographers and typists. Pvt. Minnie E. Wright was one of those 305 woman Marines.

Outstanding and very RARE group! Thanks for sharing. Semper Fi Bob

aerialbridge

Beautiful group, special enough, but having the period cabinet photo really ices it. Thanks for sharing, Dick and Happy New Year, AB

• 2 weeks later...

Earl Albert Peiffer No. 3292. Good Conduct for 2nd enlistment... Earl was my Great Uncle and I have his paperwork for USMC Good Conduct, War Service Letter and a photo. Unfortunately, I don't have the medal itself... Contact me if you come across that number, I suspect it is out there somewhere...

post-154058-0-57052800-1579537300_thumb.jpg