Lets see some USMC Good Conduct Medals

DevilDan1900

I've always had an affinity for the USMC Good Conduct medal, especially when they are engraved and attributed to an individual Marine. Here is a close up shot of a WW2 era Good Conduct Medal I have. Does anyone out there know what year they went from the engraved style bars which read "First Enlistment, Second Enlistment," etc, to when they went to the raised lettered bars, such as this one, which read "first Award, Second Award," etc? Unfortunately this six bar example is not named, as was increasingly common towards the WW2 era and later. I really wish I knew more about the service history of it's owner, obviously a career Marine. I know it is not period correct, but I display it on my WW1 era blues because I find it reminiscent of the multi barred Good Conducts many of the old career Leathernecks, such as Dan Daly, sported during this period.

***COLLECTOR NOTE***

All collectors should note that the individual who initially started this post has been banned and his posts are now being reviewed for authenticity.

Our main interest at USMF is making sure collectors are aware and can learn about period pieces. And, having non-original pieces as guides does a disservice to all. The administration encourages members having detailed information regarding the item being a fake, reproduction, and/or put together to come forward and post it here or in other threads.

For more information regarding the user “DevilDan1900” and the cause for this review, please see below link:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=15227

post-156-1169953374.jpg

Here some old pics of a Marine GC I've had in my collection for quite some time...I haven't really researched this Marine so if anyone out there has some on him info I'd much appreciate it !!

Thanks,

Vic

post-352-1170002612.jpg

And the engraving...the pics are old and I have to re-shoot and crop em but I thought this was quicker to post the pics...

Thanks,

Vic

post-352-1170002811.jpg

Super nice engraving on that 1905 example. Interesting to note the difference in both engraving style and quality between the two pieces listed.

I've always had an affinity for the USMC Good Conduct medal, especially when they are engraved and attributed to an individual Marine. Here is a close up shot of a WW2 era Good Conduct Medal I have. Does anyone out there know what year they went from the engraved style bars which read "First Enlistment, Second Enlistment," etc, to when they went to the raised lettered bars, such as this one, which read "first Award, Second Award," etc? Unfortunately this six bar example is not named, as was increasingly common towards the WW2 era and later. I really wish I knew more about the service history of it's owner, obviously a career Marine. I know it is not period correct, but I display it on my WW1 era blues because I find it reminiscent of the multi barred Good Conducts many of the old career Leathernecks, such as Dan Daly, sported during this period.

Dan,

Based upon what I have researched from my collection of 35+/- USMC GCM's, I think actual engraving and stamping of GCM's were resumed afetr the end of WWII...approximatly August 1945. Occasionly you fing a backdated GCM to 1942, 43 or 44. I think that that engraved "second enlistment" bars were from the 1945-48 time period. From 1948 to 1950 I see the stamped Navy style bars as shown in your picture. The use of stars begins in 1950 with official engraving/stamping ending in 1951.

Bill

Thanks for the info. 35+ GCMs, impressive collection! Could you perhaps share some photos? I would be interested to see your earlier examples. Here is a shot of an engraved example I have still mounted to the original PFC's blues.

***COLLECTOR NOTE***

All collectors should note that the individual who initially started this post has been banned and his posts are now being reviewed for authenticity.

Our main interest at USMF is making sure collectors are aware and can learn about period pieces. And, having non-original pieces as guides does a disservice to all. The administration encourages members having detailed information regarding the item being a fake, reproduction, and/or put together to come forward and post it here or in other threads.

For more information regarding the user “DevilDan1900” and the cause for this review, please see below link:

post-156-1170113443.jpg

The engraving:

***COLLECTOR NOTE***

post-156-1170113508.jpg

Dan,

Based upon what I have researched from my collection of 35+/- USMC GCM's, I think actual engraving and stamping of GCM's were resumed afetr the end of WWII...approximatly August 1945. Occasionly you fing a backdated GCM to 1942, 43 or 44. I think that that engraved "second enlistment" bars were from the 1945-48 time period. From 1948 to 1950 I see the stamped Navy style bars as shown in your picture. The use of stars begins in 1950 with official engraving/stamping ending in 1951.

Bill

Hey Bill

I agree with this statement. I have seen transmittal letters from the post WWII time period transmitting hand engraved A and B prefix #'d GCMs.

Kurt

post-123-1170014530.jpgHi Guys,

Here is one to Carl Fox- B.Co.,1st.Raider Bn.Thanks,Robert

Robert,

Not some of the nicest engraving I've seen on USMC GCM's, but am I ever so happy to see your Fox medal.

I have one engraved to Roy R. Gregory, Medal Number 85726, 1st Enlistment - 1924-1929 (that's right, 5 year enlistment) with 3rd Enlistment bar with matching engraved medal number 85726 and 1933-1937.

When I first acquired this medal grouping about 7 years ago, I said to myself, "now that's some ugly engraving!" All medals in this grouping came from the same source in the Chicago area and were from the same estate sale. They came from a very close, reliable collecting friend, so I've never had doubts about it and knew I'd come across another engraved medal by the same hand. I've also shown this medal to several fellow collectors and they have no problems with it, stating that this hand shows up on USMC GCM's from the 1920's and 1930's from time to time. It is old engraving and wasn't done recently.

BTW - Both 2nd Nic. and Yangtze are rim numbered, so as soon as I do some basic research on this group, I'll be able to find out if the three medals belonged to Gregory, of which I'm sure they did.

I have a fairly nice engraved USMC GCM collection and will try to get some photos taken and add to this thread in the near future.

Gary

P.S. Any more medals by this engraving hand??

post-84-1170134589.jpg

post-84-1170134604.jpg

I had another scan already done, so thought I'd resize and post it.

This is one I just acquired a couple of months ago from Andrew Lipps and I'm very happy with it.

Aubrey R. Watson, No. 8246, 1st Enlistment, 1914-1918 with engraved 2nd Enlistment Bar, No. 8246, 1919-1920.

Hoping this Marine has an interesting WWI history when I get him researched.

Gary

post-84-1170135465.jpg

post-84-1170135479.jpg

Hey Bill

I agree with this statement. I have seen transmittal letters from the post WWII time period transmitting hand engraved A and B prefix #'d GCMs.

Kurt

Kurt,

I agree with your above statement. I have a GCM # A13XXX (George Harris mentioned in 1990 that he did not think that these ran higher than 10000) which was a late issue to a 1905 Marine along with his Expeditionary Medal with the dated transmittal letter from 1951. I think that the stamping/numbering post WWII depended on the Headquarters requesting the medal.

Bill

Thanks for the info. 35+ GCMs, impressive collection! Could you perhaps share some photos? I would be interested to see your earlier examples. Here is a shot of an engraved example I have still mounted to the original PFC's blues.

Dan,

I have posted 2 on the "Good Conduct Medal" thread

Bill

Dan,

I was looking at my December 1919 National Geographic showing Daly with his medals on. He looks like he only has 2 bars besides the top bar. I thought he retired in 1929, I'm guessing that he rated 4 bars by the time he retired.

Bill

On the USMC Gcm's....note that these were issues approximatly 1910 with 2 different styles of engraving and formatting (specific date vs. date span) I think that this is interesting since it seems that engraving styles overlapped.

Bill

post-248-1170194890.jpg

post-248-1170194908.jpg

Here is an image of then Gunnery Sgt Daly with his medals take from that same approximate time frame, c. 1919 when he was placed on inactive status with the Reserve following the War. He retired officially as a Sgt. Maj. in 1929 and died in 1937. I am currently working on a biography of the Sgt. Maj. (three years and counting) and have also met with one of his few living family members. It appears from this image that he is wearing 3 bars on his good conduct at this point, strange as he had enlisted in 1899.

post-156-1170209477.jpg

Sgt. Thomas Condon USMC 1900-1905, GCM awarded (not replacement) Awarded August 31, 1951 (died 7/20/51). Applied for on 12/4/50.

post-248-1170211720.jpg

Dan,

Correction: 55+, I guess I bought more that I thought

Bill