who could restore this footlocker?

WW2JAKE

let me just start by saying i dont like restoring militaria especially if it is worn from military use. however this footlocker which i bought for $10 i bought with the intention of restoring it. it looked like a simple restoration until i got a good look at how bad the damage really was. if this isnt properly restored it isnt gonna make it much longer. if anyone knows anyone who can properly restore this for a decent price or if someone on here can properly restore it for fun or for cheap itd be greatly appreciated id hate to see this footlocker be lost to age...

post-125364-0-19149500-1411191048.jpgpost-125364-0-22438100-1411191050.jpgpost-125364-0-86825200-1411191051.jpgpost-125364-0-73418700-1411191053.jpg

Are you talking a complete restore to like new? That would involve relining with period paper, repainting and new leather handles. Rockler sells handle kits that are very much like these. I would drill out the center rivet on each end, replace the leather and replace with a like rivet. Painting would involve matching the color and masking the inside. Matching or similar paper can be found and applied with spray on adhesive.

Is the tray missing? I could build a replacement to match.

The real question is how much would it cost to ship the footlocker to and from Indiana.

How much are these worth after restoration?

I could restore for $100.00 plus materials and shipping. Or you could send it to American Restoration in Las Vegas. I would imagine they would charge $600-$800.

Not to be rude but due to cost would it be worth restoring? There are lots to be had for low prices many times. (I found one in the trash!). If it were mine I would do the restoration on my own to the best of my ability.

i know i could do it but as im getting better looks at it im noticing things, the outside has been repainted so you dont have to match anyway just repaint. the paper doesnt really make a difference because not all footlockers got a paper lining and if it got re-lined the exact paper wouldnt matter to me. the thing is i really dont have the patience to do it correctly which would likely require replacing some of the panels so removing every nail around the boarder then replacing it properly with the steel block to bend it (like trunks are correctly done) and i found a place who specifically works with military foot lockers so they might help

If you are nterested in doing the work yourself, I can help you source the parts. If you just want the leather done, you can send me a pattern and thickness measureand I can duplicate that for you.

toad

If you are nterested in doing the work yourself, I can help you source the parts. If you just want the leather done, you can send me a pattern and thickness measureand I can duplicate that for you.

toad

Well all that isn't original and couldn't be fixed is the leather and the things that hold the lid open the rest is there and can be fixed with some simple work it just would be time consuming and very repetitive