Nonabrasive Cleaning Method for Dusty Canvas?

josegarcia8578

josegarcia8578

HI guys,

I have WW2 canvas backpack that is very dusty, I was wondering if any of you guys had a good advice to get rid of the dirt/dirt?

Thanks!
-Jose

Try using quilters soap. You mix a small amount of soap with enough cold water to submerse and soak the item for a couple of hours. Gently knead the item once in a while. Then rinse a couple of times with a cold water soak and let air dry. You can stuff with crumpled wrapping paper or tissue paper to maintain shape if necessary. I would not recommend newspaper because of the soy based inks now used.

Orvis Quilters soap is what my wife uses to clean old quilts. This soap is very gentle on fabrics and colors so there would be no fading

I've used the compressed gas for dusting electronics with some success on WWI web gear. There are some guys that use Woolite to clean their gear, it's just not a method or idea I'm fond of. But I have never tried it and shy away from the thought of soaking any of my items. There is a thread around on the forum somewhere that gives some ideas on cleaning your gear. I will see if I can locate it and post a link for you.

Mike

• 2 months later...

I agree on the compressed air and light bristled brush. I've made many a mistake and lost good stencil markings off canvas using the washing method. Air and brush are perfect. Make certain that you bleed your tank prior to ensure you don't get water or water/oil mixture from the hose.

Jim