Is this a military Baseball parachute?

Manchu Warrior

Manchu Warrior

I picked this up at the flea market today. It was in a WWII dated waterproof bag under a table I did find out that it is called a Baseball parachute because of its shape and also that the company did make parachutes during WWII but not much else. Is this WWII or even military? The printed part isn't as flat as I thought it was when I took the photo. It says Baseball G.T.M. AAF45- 285 208 and it is 24 feet across.That is a pair of size 12 Desert Boots down in the left hand corner. And I hope that AAF stands for the obvious choice. Thanks!

post-1412-0-20539200-1411171271.jpgpost-1412-0-15619300-1411171282.jpg

WWII Parachutist

It does indeed look like the baseball parachute. These first examined by the AAF in 1941 and were tested throughout the war. They were ultimately deemed unsatisfactory, as shaped canopies like the baseball chute did not equally distribute opening shock loads, and took an excessive amount of time to open. The serial number corresponds to fiscal year 1945. This is most likely an experimental sample.

Manchu Warrior

It does indeed look like the baseball parachute. These first examined by the AAF in 1941 and were tested throughout the war. They were ultimately deemed unsatisfactory, as shaped canopies like the baseball chute did not equally distribute opening shock loads, and took an excessive amount of time to open. The serial number corresponds to fiscal year 1945. This is most likely an experimental sample.

I guess it was worth the $5.00 that I paid for it, correct? The information is also much appreciated. Thanks!

WWII Parachutist

I guess it was worth the $5.00 that I paid for it, correct? The information is also much appreciated. Thanks!

Indeed! You did very well on it.