Fixing Zippers?

Government Issue

Government Issue

Hi Everyone!

Quick question as the title states: Anyone have a good method for fixing a zipper? I'm looking at picking up a field jacket that has a stuck zipper. Any successful methods on how to get it working again?

I did some research online and came across some interesting methods that supposedly work, just not with 70 year old field jackets! I might try one and let you guys know. But until then, I want to hear some of tried and true ways you guys have fixed a zip.

Thanks,

GI

• 2 months later...

This is pretty standard advice, but for the most part, a stuck zipper can only have its symptoms treated - and likely gets progressively worse with use. The most common advice you'll hear is to wax the zipper teeth (with candle wax), and that's said to help alittle. I have never done this (the wax treatment), but my experience with old vintage jackets (2 USN N1s, and a few 40s jacket with Conmar bell zippers), I find it helps to learn the "personality" of the zipper and learn the nuisance that zips and unzips it - i.e. pull the tab so that it leans to the left/right/front/back all the way through as you zip up/down, or hold the zipper side taught, etc.

If it is too troublesome, you might want to source NOS or repurposed period zippers on the 'bay - they seem to come and go frequently, but can be expensive. I once found an old sunburst style Conmar zipper used on old bomber jackets at an estate sale, and sold it at a 100$ BIN within the day - so, case and point. Hope this helps some!

Oh, and if you see some teeth sagging or jarred upwards (loosing it's integrity to the zipper's own fabric) that may be a sign to avoid any further attempts at zipping and/or unzipping - and go the restoration/replacement route.

What type of field jacket are we looking at anyhow? If you're talking one of M65 field jackets chunky zippers, I'd give you the heads up that that's almost characteristic of that zipper type.