OPINIONS ON RECENT VIETNAM UNIFORMS

stahlguy

Hi Guys:

I recently picked up this Vietnam Uniform grouping and wanted to get some opinions on at least the jacket for now, I plan to sell these in the future but I wanted to make sure I sell legit, authentic stuff and not junk. I have several shirts and pants all with the name walsh on them, additionally I also have a named bronze star that came with this stuff. Opinions and comments are appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

post-133452-0-69856300-1411043851.jpg

post-133452-0-60476000-1411043852.jpg

post-133452-0-09357600-1411043855.jpg

post-133452-0-93691600-1411043855.jpg

post-133452-0-50004700-1411043857.jpg

post-133452-0-10985400-1411043859.jpg

Vietnam Veterans Database

Name: WALSH THOMAS A JR Branch: ARMY Rate: O02 Rank: 1ST LT MOS: 1542 MOS Title: Infantry Unit Commander Entered: 6908 Discharged: 710721 Service Number: State: NEW JERSEY Race: CAUCASIAN

Looks good overall.

The ghost patch on the left shoulder would have been the 23rd Infantry Division, which has been moved to the right shoulder as a combat patch.

The 196th Infantry Brigade patch would have been worn as a pocket patch. For some reason the infantry brigades assigned to the 23rd wore these as pocket patches when I think they were originally intended to be shoulder patches for independent brigades.

The only thing I would take a hard look at is the Ranger and Airborne tabs on the left shoulder. If they have been on the uniform for sometime, and through subsequent washings, they should leave an impression on the reverse side of the fabric. If they were added to spice up the uniform, they would not leave much of an impression.

The airborne wings would have been sufficient to tell anyone that the officer was jump qualified. So I am not sure why the airborne tab would have been added. The Ranger Tab may have been correctly positioned above the previous 23rd ID patch.

However the airborne tab may have been from a subsequent assignment. It was not unusual for officers to wear their uniforms on later assignments and just switch out insignia.

If you have several uniforms all done the same way, it speaks to their authenticity. So again, I'd say these are probably fine.

OK Gents, here are several more photos, there are 3 green cotton sateen shirts, 1 of them I don't think was ever laundered or washed as it's still kind of stiff, also 1 shirt is slightly different with the blue "follow me" patch, this one has the attached white tag with a number on it. Also is 1 pair of green pants with a belt, and lastly is a khaki pair of pants and a shirt with a ranger patch, I don't think these were worn either, the pants have walsh inked on the top portion.

Thanks,

Kevin

post-133452-0-47126600-1411128833.jpg

post-133452-0-09245500-1411128836.jpg

Thanks for the additional photos, so it's a safe bet that a SF Arrowhead patch was under the RANGER and AIRBORNE tabs, and was for some reason removed, just like one of the fatique shirts where we see one was removed. The Tropical coat was most likely woreby him in Vietnam, and he brought it home and wore on other duty assignments later on. Interesting he kept the 196th Inf Bde pocket patch on it, but thats Ok. On the other two shirts with CIB, there is an Americal combat patch without any 196th Inf Bde on the pocket correct?

Hi Patches:

Yes I believe your correct about the other 2 shirts, although I don't have them in front of me right now to be certain.

Kevin