B15A Jacket

cosmicgreen

Hi Im new here great forum I recently received this as a gift my question is..Is this jacket authentic. Looks Vintage but the condition is very very good to be from 1940 era. Any help would be appreciated.

post-154312-0-80838400-1410972243.jpg

Find an Irish pennant (a dangling loose length of extra thread) on the inside of the jacket, Alot of garments have them. Carefully snip off the thread with a scissors. After taking the thread section to a safe place, do a burn test on the thread length with a Bic or match. If it bubbles into a hard little black ball at the tip, its synthetic and likely post war. If it burns smooth and even, and disolves into dust it's organic (cotton or silk) and likely WW2 era mfg. Running organic thread through modern machnes is kinda a pain in the rump and not generally done. All this according to my wife, who has a B.S. in Clothing and Textiles. She helps me do alot of forensics on old uniforms with a high degree of accuracy.

BTW, I thnk it looks like a good WW2 era jacket, as well. If your satisfied with it you can forgo the above testing.