Desert Storm Era PASGT

JeremyJ

Found this PASGT at a local antique mall and decided to pick it up. The helmet is dated 1986 and is a size medium. It also has a nice staff sergeant rank stitched to the cover. I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about the foam piece in the top of the helmet?

post-104775-0-03568500-1410806347.jpg

post-104775-0-35671700-1410806353.jpg

post-104775-0-65464800-1410806359.jpg

post-104775-0-13617800-1410806366.jpg

We used to purchase those foam pieces at local stores or the PX to provide additional padding; pretty common, but if you are wearing the helmet a lot, they flatten and get stained. If the helmets are stored where it's dry and hot, the foam will break down and so you don't tend to find them in PASGT helmet today. My old helmet has a grey piece of foam still in it from Desert Storm, but it's somewhat fragile.

What Thorin wrote could have been written by me. The "donuts" were purchased through Clothing Sales. The older ones were just grey foam. The tan one with the holes is one that probably dates to the mid 1990's. Anyone who has ever worn one of these helmets can fully appreciate how much nicer they are to wear with the foam piece inside. I know a few guys who actually bought two- one for between the web and the pot and the other between the web and the scalp.

Allan

Yippers, those pads were nice. I blame my bald spot on all the years of wearing helmets. Steel pots, Kpots, ACH, and CVC's. My personal Desert Storm Kpot still retains one of the pads.

• 2 weeks later...