unknown generals mini medal group

skipranney

Unknown generals mini medals please help with identifying him the one on the end is the order of danumbrook only give out afew times to allied commanding officers I feel this group is one of a kind

Thanks

post-104933-0-40327300-1410795529.jpeg

post-104933-0-46623900-1410795548.jpeg

post-104933-0-90415200-1410795575.jpeg

The only person I saw right now that might be possible is LTG William Knudsen. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_S._Knudsen ). He was from up your way. The only thing is he was commissioned as a LTG during WWII and didn't serve in WWI but he did get the DSM. I'm not sure about the other foreign medals though. It's a possibility, but I'm not completely sure on that one.

Mike

Hello,

Maybe Colonel Francis John Graling, Military Attaché to Canada, awarded the Legion of Merit and the Order of Dannebrog. USMA class of 1924. Can find him being awaded a DSM. He and his wife are buried in Arlington. Good luck.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

I don't think it was Graling's...his obit lists him with many more foreign awards...

Colonel Graling has been awarded the Legion of Merit and many foreign awards including Commander (Military Division) of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire; and high awards from Italy, Czechoslovakia, Chile, Greece, Egypt, Mexico, China, Brazil, Denmark and others.

From: http://apps.westpointaog.org/Memorials/Article/7555/

They might belong to Col Clifton Lisle (Robert Clifton Patton Lisle) from PA. He was born 27 Nov 1891 in PA, and died Aug 1966 in Chester Springs, PA. I confirmed he was awarded Knight grade of the Order of Dannebrog.

Lisle, Clifton (R.) 1946, (Silver Star x2—USA WW I), Col. US Army, Military Governor Austria, Germany 1945-46), (1892, 1966†), Chester Springs, PA

He was a 1st Lt in WWI. His Silver Star citation is below:

Silver Star Citation

Awarded for actions during the World War I

By direction of the President, under the provisions of the act of Congress approved July 9, 1918 (Bul. No. 43, W.D., 1918), First Lieutenant (Infantry) Clifton Lisle, United States Army, is cited by the Commanding General, American Expeditionary Forces, for gallantry in action and a silver star may be placed upon the ribbon of the Victory Medals awarded him. First Lieutenant Lisle distinguished himself by gallantry in action while serving with the 316th Infantry, attached to the 158th Brigade Headquarters, American Expeditionary Forces, in action at Nantillois, France, 28 September 1918, in carrying important messages through heavy enemy fire.
General Orders: GHQ, American Expeditionary Forces, Citation Orders No. 3 (June 3, 1919)

Action Date: September 28, 1918

Service: Army

Regiment: 316th Infantry, attached to the 158th Brigade Headquarters

Division: American Expeditionary Forces

He was a military governor in Austria and Germany in 1945 and 1946, which may account for the rest of the foreign awards.

The only problem with Lisle is that there's no SS on the bar. I'd also expect to see at least one star on the WW1 Victory medal...and there isn't one.

Thoughts?

Great grouping, but isn't the ribbon for the Occupation Medal reversed? Planchet is facing correct correctly. I guess the generals can get away with that. Thanks, Al.

I don't believe this belonged to LTG Knudsen.

The medals include the WWII Victory Medal and the WWII Occupation Medal. It appears that Knudsen was made a Grand Cross of the Order of the Dannebrog in 1946. The mini medal is that of a Knight. The Grand Cross ribbon has a rosette; however, the Grand Cross wears a breast star for formal occasions and I believe an occasion requiring minis would warrant a breast star.

Just my two cents, from a Freemason often saddled with wearing extraneous regalia...

I don't believe this belonged to LTG Knudsen.

The medals include the WWII Victory Medal and the WWII Occupation Medal. It appears that Knudsen was made a Grand Cross of the Order of the Dannebrog in 1946. The mini medal is that of a Knight. The Grand Cross ribbon has a rosette; however, the Grand Cross wears a breast star for formal occasions and I believe an occasion requiring minis would warrant a breast star.

Just my two cents, from a Freemason often saddled with wearing extraneous regalia...

Reading up on Knudsen, I agree...this can't be his. He had two DSMs and no LOM. Also, from his bios that I read, he never went to Europe, or at least long enough to participate in any campaigns.