Ruptured Duck Tie Clasp

Found this at a local flea market while digging through someones booth filled with boxes of stuff. Just thought it was cool. I know that this duck symbol has something to do with discharge, but what exactly does it mean? I've seen a few small pins online. Just curious!

post-151812-0-55765200-1410794182.jpg

Very nice find. I have some ruptured duck pins but not a tie clasp.

The Honorable Service Lapel Button sometimes called the Honorable Service Lapel Pin was awarded to United States military service members who were discharged under honorable conditions during World War II. The award is sometimes colloquially called the Ruptured Duck. Sculptor Anthony de Francisci designed the award.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honorable_Service_Lapel_Button

...Kat

Thanks so much for the information! I didn't know what the real name for the emblem was or the real purpose. I just recognized it and thought it would be a fun dollar to spend. I appreciate your help! I looked for any markings on the entire thing, but couldn't find any. I don't often find anything to do with WWII military around here. I don't think our family has anyone who would have worn one of these sadly. Besides, they never seem to have kept much! ;)

Yes, he was an Engineer/Gunner on heavy bombers in Alaska. However, he died in 1943 during a bomber raid, so I am assuming that he wouldn't have had one, as the page I read didn't say anything about it being a posthumous award. My other Uncle served March 1946 - Dec 1948, so he wouldn't have had it either. I think I'll have to find another military hero . . . ;) What I need to adopt is a Navy hero! My sister and I love WWII Navy (actually, any Navy if you want to get technical), but noone in our family ever served in the Navy as far as I've ever been able to find. -sigh-

I see you like the Seabees. I read a book about them and they are fabulous! I got a 1943 (I think) piece of sheet music that is the "Song of the Seabees" with their patch on the cover. I like finding WWII military themed sheet music.

What I need to adopt is a Navy hero! My sister and I love WWII Navy (actually, any Navy if you want to get technical),

If you want to read about some Navy heroes, you need to read "We Band of Angels" about the Army and Navy nurses who served on Bataan and were POW's. Now they were some heroes!

...Kat

Yes, he was an Engineer/Gunner on heavy bombers in Alaska. However, he died in 1943 during a bomber raid, so I am assuming that he wouldn't have had one, as the page I read didn't say anything about it being a posthumous award. My other Uncle served March 1946 - Dec 1948, so he wouldn't have had it either. I think I'll have to find another military hero . . . ;) What I need to adopt is a Navy hero! My sister and I love WWII Navy (actually, any Navy if you want to get technical), but noone in our family ever served in the Navy as far as I've ever been able to find. -sigh-

I see you like the Seabees. I read a book about them and they are fabulous! I got a 1943 (I think) piece of sheet music that is the "Song of the Seabees" with their patch on the cover. I like finding WWII military themed sheet music.

I think you are right then that neither one would have received the "ruptured duck" as a KIA is not "discharged". I believe the latest ones given were in Dec. 1946?

There are plenty of Navy heroes out there.. maybe you can find an item or group that has a sailor you can "adopt".

I have the same piece of sheet music.. I originally intended to frame it but I am running critically low on display room.

-Brian