29th Infantry Division German Helmet

Spike423

Al, there is another 29/116th vet bringback stahlhelm not far from me, still in the family. If I get good pics of it sometime I'll give you a shout...

Saw this one at Rock Island Auction last July, looks like it sold for 690.00 (despite having the wrong number on it). Do you think this is the rare first helmet painted of the bunch?

post-5941-0-64797100-1412805378.jpg

Dave--You are right--it is cool but the helmet we used that I liked the best was the 29th Division helmet that had been overpainted by the Dutch underground fighters with the orange lion---I'd never seen one like that before---I'll try to post some shots of it tomorrow when I have some time...Al

Al, that is a Masterpiece, Better than anything in any art museum. That 26 lets go helmet cracks me up.

-Dave

I'm sure painting helmets was just as much a cottage industry amongst the civilian population as "trench art" was at the end of WWI. That would explain the similarity in styles and also the "26 Let's Go!", since no actual member of the division is going to screw that up.

Sorry this took so long but other projects took priority--yeah I know---but here is my favorite of all the 29th Division helmets we looked at while we were doing the book---It came from Paul Reijinders' personal collection and is the most unique I've seen---an orange block overlaying the 29th symbol and an orange lion on each side..worn by Dutch volunteers who joined the Allies in late 1944---incredible piece of history...

Al

Dave--You are right--it is cool but the helmet we used that I liked the best was the 29th Division helmet that had been overpainted by the Dutch underground fighters with the orange lion---I'd never seen one like that before---I'll try to post some shots of it tomorrow when I have some time...Al

post-2235-0-60955200-1413227792.jpg