29th Infantry Division German Helmet

Spike423

Just moved into my recently deceased grandfathers house. He was into a lot of Nazi stuff including knifes, uniforms, and old photographs. Most of it was gone by the time my family and I moved in but just yesterday my step father found and gave me this gem. The stamp inside the helmet is too faded to tell what year and model it is unfortunately so if someone could identify at least the model, I would be grateful. Tell me what you think!

(pictures linked down below)

Please use the forum to host your photos...no outside image hosting allowed.

That's a sweet looking helmet, and yes, its an M42. The heat stamp 'D314' is indicative of those manufactured by Vereinigte Deutsche Nickelwerke (NS). :)

Joe

PFC Jack J. Finazzo, SN 33001418, C Company, 175th Infantry Regiment.

His enlistment record: http://wwii-enlistment.com/record/33001418/

He was reported as a non-battle casualty on 12 July 1944, and dropped from the 175th Infantry's rolls on 16 July. He returned to duty with HQ, 29th Division on 28 July.

Real nice helmet you've got!

Did anyone see the one that was just on eBay...?? Had to have been done by the same guy.

Punch in item number 191279876116

Yes, I did. Indeed a very similar helmet, very likely painted by the same hand. However, Spike423's helmet is superior in many ways. Of particular interest to me is the American G.I.'s last name in pencil on the inside of the helmet. Thank you B229 for your "detective work" to unveil the identity of this long-forgotten soldier!

And here's another 29th Div vet bringback German helmet---It's from a private collection in Virginia and we used it in our book "Let's Go!; The History of the 29th Division from 1917 to 2001" as an example of the "perfect" 116th Infantry Regiment souvenir---

Al

Great helmet! Thanks for posting viewable pics! Bobgee

post-2235-0-05098700-1412203940.jpg