Modified Military Jackets

Nkomo

One of my very favorite Special Forces modification this one on a scarce NCED made, 2004 contract DCU. Chest pockets have been moved to sleeves and placed at a very slight angle. Four strips of early low pile tan velcro have been added horizontally to these pockets. The pockets are completely covered by three velcro strips to the body and one to the flap. The cargo pockets have been moved up onto the chest area. The button closurses for all of the pockets have been removed and replaced with velcro. There is also a very interesting modification to the sleeve cuffs which is described in greater detail below. No "ghosting" or other evidence of SSI or other patches ever having been applied. Another top that came from a source in North Carolina who prowls the shops near Fort Bragg.

post-3151-1293387900.jpg

post-3151-1293387919.jpg

Cuff modification as mentioned above. All of the buttons have been removed from the cuff area and replaced by a long strip of sewn velcro. Velcro has also been sewn to the area under cuff tongue flap. With this arrangement the cuffs can adjusted for tightness according to the operator's preference. First shot shows the cuff velcro modification open:

post-3151-1293388325.jpg

post-3151-1293388341.jpg

And in the photograph above the cuff adjustment is closed. In my experience this is a very seldom seen modification.

A couple of shots to show the unusual full velcro coverage modification to the chest pockets which have been moved to the sleeves. As noted above four strips of velcro have been horizonatally sewn to each pocket. Here closed ........

post-3151-1293388622.jpg

post-3151-1293388638.jpg

...... and in the bottom photograph open.

Very nice Special Operations Forces modification of a Golden Manufacturing Company, made BDU on their 1999 contract. Chest pockets have been moved to sleeves and are angled. Two greeen velcro rectangles of velcro have been added to the body only of these pockets. Flag sized velcro has been added to each shoulder area above the modified sleeve pockets. The cargo pockets have been moved up to the chest and are acutely angled (inward). All of the pockets retain their original button closures. Name and branch tape locations have been modified with added velcro strips. Of note in this case (unlike a previous example) the tape velcro is aligned with the top of the pockets. Also of note is the large size velcro added to the collar rank areas. There is also a small velcro square added to the reverse external area of the back collar. No "ghosting" or other evidence of SSI or other patches. Some collectors say these are Naval Special Warfare, SEAL or DEVGRU modifications. I do not know that to be true. This top came from a source in the state of California.

post-3151-1293392388.jpg

post-3151-1293392413.jpg

A similar modified top in DCU is shown starting with Post 129

Closer photographs showing the sleeve modifications ......

post-3151-1293392608.jpg

post-3151-1293392620.jpg

....... and the velcro square sewn to the back collar (turn down) area.

A fairly typical Special Forces modification of a Unicor, Greenville, Illinois DCU on their 1997 contract. Cargo pockets have been moved to sleeves and placed at an angle. A large velcro square has been added to only the body of these pockets. Note the O+ blood type annotation and ASP (Allergic Serum Penicillin) in black ink to the flap of the left sleeve pocket. Flag sized velcro has been added to each shoulder area above the modified sleeve pockets. The right shoulder has an odd four color desert American flag on velcro in place. The flag patch appears to be US made and is standard, not reversed. The chest pockets have not been modified except for the addition of velro closures although the buttons are still in place. The sleeve pockets also have this pattern of modified closure. Name and branch tape locations have been modified with added velcro strips. No "ghosting" or other evidence of SSI or other patches. This top came from a source in the state of Virgina.

post-3151-1293394563.jpg

post-3151-1293394580.jpg

Sorry for the flash wash!

Right side sleeve pocket to show detail of modified combination button/velcro closure. Here closed ......

post-3151-1293394929.jpg

post-3151-1293394943.jpg

and in the bottom photograph open.

• 2 weeks later...
kriegsmodell
I am trying to get an idea of all the variations of these modified shirts. Right now it looks like the streight lower sleeve pocket modification is the hardest to find. Horizontal sleeve pocket modifications are also tough. Most look to be high and low slant pocket modifications. Any body see any thing different? Charlie

Charlie et al,

I think you are making some sound observations on the scarcity of modified jacket variations. I would just add this based on my observations as well as the various examples in my collection: Many more examples are noted where the cargo pockets are moved to the sleeves versus the chest pockets moved to sleeves. Obviously the former variation only requires the removal and replacement of one set of pockets instead of two sets in the latter. If we are just talking about the most typically seen pocket modifications I would make these observations (in descending order more scarce to common) on the variations by type:

- BDU - Chest pockets moved to sleeves horizontal placement; cargo pockets moved to chest angled placement

- BDU - Chest pockets moved to sleeves straight placement; cargo pockets moved to chest angled placement

- BDU - Chest pockets moved to sleeves horizontal placement; cargo pockets moved to chest straight placement

- BDU - Chest pockets moved to sleeves angled placement; cargo pockets moved to chest angled placement

- BDU - Chest pockets moved to sleeves straight placement; cargo pockets moved to chest straight placement

- BDU - Chest pockets moved to sleeves angled placement; cargo pockets moved to chest straight placement

- BDU - Cargo pockets moved to sleeves horizontal placement; chest pockets placed at angle

- BDU - Cargo pockets moved to sleeves straight placement; chest pockets placed at angle

- BDU - Cargo pockets moved to sleeves horizontal placement; chest pockets straight (unmodified)

- BDU - Cargo pockets moved to sleeves angled placement; chest pockets placed at angle

- BDU - Cargo pockets moved to sleeves straight placement; chest pockets straight (unmodified)

- BDU - Cargo pockets moved to sleeves angled placement; chest pockets straight (unmodified)

- DCU - Chest pockets moved to sleeves straight placement; cargo pockets moved to chest angled placement

- DCU - Chest pockets moved to sleeves horizontal placement; cargo pockets moved to chest angled placement

- DCU - Chest pockets moved to sleeves straight placement; cargo pockets moved to chest straight placement

- DCU - Chest pockets moved to sleeves horizontal placement; cargo pockets moved to chest straight placement

- DCU - Chest pockets moved to sleeves angled placement; cargo pockets moved to chest angled placement

- DCU - Chest pockets moved to sleeves angled placement; cargo pockets moved to chest straight placement

- DCU - Cargo pockets moved to sleeves straight placement; chest pockets placed at angle

- DCU - Cargo pockets moved to sleeves horizontal placement; chest pockets placed at angle

- DCU - Cargo pockets moved to sleeves straight placement; chest pockets straight (unmodified)

- DCU - Cargo pockets moved to sleeves horizontal placement; chest pockets straight (unmodified)

- DCU - Cargo pockets moved to sleeves angled placement; chest pockets placed at angle

- DCU - Cargo pockets moved to sleeves angled placement; chest pockets straight (unmodified)

Again, please keep in mind that I am in no way suggesting that the BDU modified tops are more scarce than the DCUs. For simplicity they are grouped only by type (BDU or DCU) of jacket and pocket modification scaricity within that type. I'm not ready to take on a combined list at this point as I must admit I confused myself a time or two with these!

Note that chest pockets moved to sleeves horizontally are scarce on both jacket types. Straight placement of sleeve pockets is seen more commonly on BDUs than DCUs. As Arch has pointed out this is an earlier type modification. Placement of chest pockets at an angle are scarce for either version of top. Also keep in mind we are only talking about the most commonly seen pocket variations here, not including things like emergency beacon light pockets, one pocket modifications, velcro color and placement, closure variations, IR tab placements, front closure, collar, or cuff modifications, etc.

All of these variations are a part of the reason that these are fun (and addictive) to collect! There are other folks on this forum (Arch, Jeremy, Mike, Shane, Jason, etc) who have a great deal of knowledge on these tops and I'm sure that there may be differences of opinion and things that I have forgotten. Any and and all comments and opinions are solicited and hopefully this will stir some discussion .......

Charlie et al,

I think you are making some sound observations on the scarcity of modified jacket variations. I would just add this based on my observations as well as the various examples in my collection: Many more examples are noted where the cargo pockets are moved to the sleeves versus the chest pockets moved to sleeves. Obviously the former variation only requires the removal and replacement of one set of pockets instead of two sets in the latter. If we are just talking about the most typically seen pocket modifications I would make these observations (in descending order more scarce to common) on the variations by type:

- BDU - Chest pockets moved to sleeves horizontal placement; cargo pockets moved to chest angled placement

- BDU - Chest pockets moved to sleeves straight placement; cargo pockets moved to chest angled placement

- BDU - Chest pockets moved to sleeves horizontal placement; cargo pockets moved to chest straight placement

- BDU - Chest pockets moved to sleeves angled placement; cargo pockets moved to chest angled placement

- BDU - Chest pockets moved to sleeves straight placement; cargo pockets moved to chest straight placement

- BDU - Chest pockets moved to sleeves angled placement; cargo pockets moved to chest straight placement

- BDU - Cargo pockets moved to sleeves horizontal placement; chest pockets placed at angle

- BDU - Cargo pockets moved to sleeves straight placement; chest pockets placed at angle

- BDU - Cargo pockets moved to sleeves horizontal placement; chest pockets straight (unmodified)

- BDU - Cargo pockets moved to sleeves angled placement; chest pockets placed at angle

- BDU - Cargo pockets moved to sleeves straight placement; chest pockets straight (unmodified)

- BDU - Cargo pockets moved to sleeves angled placement; chest pockets straight (unmodified)

- DCU - Chest pockets moved to sleeves straight placement; cargo pockets moved to chest angled placement

- DCU - Chest pockets moved to sleeves horizontal placement; cargo pockets moved to chest angled placement

- DCU - Chest pockets moved to sleeves straight placement; cargo pockets moved to chest straight placement

- DCU - Chest pockets moved to sleeves horizontal placement; cargo pockets moved to chest straight placement

- DCU - Chest pockets moved to sleeves angled placement; cargo pockets moved to chest angled placement

- DCU - Chest pockets moved to sleeves angled placement; cargo pockets moved to chest straight placement

- DCU - Cargo pockets moved to sleeves straight placement; chest pockets placed at angle

- DCU - Cargo pockets moved to sleeves horizontal placement; chest pockets placed at angle

- DCU - Cargo pockets moved to sleeves straight placement; chest pockets straight (unmodified)

- DCU - Cargo pockets moved to sleeves horizontal placement; chest pockets straight (unmodified)

- DCU - Cargo pockets moved to sleeves angled placement; chest pockets placed at angle

- DCU - Cargo pockets moved to sleeves angled placement; chest pockets straight (unmodified)

Again, please keep in mind that I am in no way suggesting that the BDU modified tops are more scarce than the DCUs. For simplicity they are grouped only by type (BDU or DCU) of jacket and pocket modification scaricity within that type. I'm not ready to take on a combined list at this point as I must admit I confused myself a time or two with these!

Note that chest pockets moved to sleeves horizontally are scarce on both jacket types. Straight placement of sleeve pockets is seen more commonly on BDUs than DCUs. As Arch has pointed out this is an earlier type modification. Placement of chest pockets at an angle are scarce for either version of top. Also keep in mind we are only talking about the most commonly seen pocket variations here, not including things like emergency beacon light pockets, one pocket modifications, velcro color and placement, closure variations, IR tab placements, front closure, collar, or cuff modifications, etc.

All of these variations are a part of the reason that these are fun (and addictive) to collect! There are other folks on this forum (Arch, Jeremy, Mike, Shane, Jason, etc) who have a great deal of knowledge on these tops and I'm sure that there may be differences of opinion and things that I have forgotten. Any and and all comments and opinions are solicited and hopefully this will stir some discussion .......

I think you did a pretty darn good job, sir.

• 4 weeks later...
Modified DCU to a Major in the Infantry. Velcro patch is for US Army NATO. Also not the Arabic name tape.

Waw this one is also amazing ! Great find !!!

Merc and Nkomo, you have both an amazing collection of modified jackets ! Good, really good !

Here is one of early modified DCU's I have in collection. Upper pockets moved to sleeves, lower pockets moved to upper area. It has been heavily used and is very dirty. I pulled this out after a long storage in the duffel bag. Upon a closer inspection, I noticed something I didn't notice when I first got it.....

-Crudely hand-sewn

-Bad stitching

-Noticable imperfection of sleeve pocket placement (one is more slanted than other)

It has a lot of flaws unlike to the professionally modified DCU's that are normally done by rigger or quartermaster with skill and proper sewing machine. It came to me with conclusion that this was done by a soldier himself.

00910.jpg

01010.jpg

01110.jpg

01210.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Modified Woodland BDU that has been cut and sewn directly to a 5.11 Tactical moisture wicking shirt. These can also be found in DCU configuration as well.

DSCN2109.JPG

Thanks for the compliments, fellers. I did recently pick up a nice Ranger mod, a USAF mod, and a Delta mod. I'll try to get pics of those up soon.

Ranger modified DCU. Black velcro on both arm pockets and also small piece of black velcro for glint tape or IR tape.

DSCN2117.JPG