Modified Military Jackets

Nkomo

I have many more modified jackets in my collection. Actually, I have too many for any one man to own. It took me over 4 hours of picture taking, editing, and posting these pictures on here. I will eventually post more, but some other day perhaps. Remember, I am not an expert on modified jackets and I'm hoping members can add information and their own pictures to this thread.

If I had to rate these jackets from most common to most rare, it would go like this:

1. Woodland

2. 3-color DCU

3. 6-color Desert

4. ERDL and jungle jackets tie for rarest

5. RDF- RDF gets it's own category because I've never come across a set before. Not even sure they made one.

Thanks for everyones kind words so far!

Arch

This is a very interesting thread to read through. I've always found the more modern jackets to be more interesting than WWII Ike's. I like the flag you found in the pocket. I would keep it in there, too. If you want to share more "pocket finds" I'd love to see them, or just some more jackets!

This DCU came from a Navy SEAL. It is 100 percent legit as I know the Sailor. It is named.

I understand that this style of Modification DCU was quite common for SEAL Teams. It may have been done at unit level (as in the Rangers) and not the by individual.

Notice the slightly slanted chest pockets, they are in fact the bottom pockets which have been moved up.

The chest pockets are now on the arms. Notice the large amount of velcro on the sleeve pocket body and also above it.

Here is a pic of the exact same type of jacket in use by a SEAL.

PREV_NSW2623.jpg

Afbeelding050.jpg

Left arm

Afbeelding051.jpg

Right arm

Afbeelding052.jpg

A special forces DCU.

A lot of people have told me that name tapes are not used by SF in the field. Well here is a pic of an operator from 1st Bn 3rd SFGA in Afghanistan.

Notice he has tapes (he has put tape over his name), and that there are no qual badges (ie wings), or even a flag. He does not have sleeve pockets, but the pic does show why the bottom pockets were removed.

Pic taken 25th Aug 02.

1stBn3rdSFGA-stan25aug02.jpg

This pic shows operators of ODA 342 in Afghanistan on 19 Aug 02. The left had soldier is seen with his DCU tucked in and with sleeve pockets.

Notice he has an AK chest rig.

HMMWV3rdSFGODA342MangaraA19aug02.jpg

This pic taken in 03 shows the infinite styles that SF modified DCUs can come in.

We can see on the right, fully badged unmodified. Second from the right we see name tape, blood group and large pocket on sleeve. On the center operator we can see slanted chest pockets.

SECDEFwithSFsoldiers03.jpg

The SF modified DCU in my collection.

uniforms044-1.jpg

This last one is for Copran.

SF in Afghanistan with Tiger strip. Note sleeve pockets.

jimbo26hafezloej8.jpg

Ranger modified DCU.

Notice that they are done at unit level, not by the individual.

Note pin on rank, OD name tapes and black Velcro for large Solis flag on right sleeve and IFF retro reflective and tac sign on left sleeve. Sleeve pockets open by Velcro and not buttons.

Here is the one in my collection.

uniforms045.jpg

Rangers in Afghanistan all with this type of Modified DCU.

17dq5.jpg

16tk1.jpg

02iu9.jpg

bcfd50f7.jpg

ae46652c.jpg

173rd Airborne Bde DCU.

The DCU in my collection.

uniforms023.jpg

The DCU in my collection started out in the same configuration as shown below and was used in Iraq.

Unmodified with OD badges and IFF on the sleeves and SETAF small non reversed flag.

iraq-b-1-508-0001.jpg

It was then modified for use in Afghanistan, at unit level just as the example seen here.

ssggalvan.jpg

It must be noted that most 173rd modified DCUs show the SSI and Flag sewn to the sleeve pocket body unlike the example in my collection.

bravo_2_zero

Just to add a few notes.

I've seen ERDL Nam jackets with pants pockets sewn in place of the regular pockets, which were removed and placed on the arms.

I have only ever seen 1 RDF modded jacket being sold on eBay UK about 3 years ago.

I have 2 modded US jackets, 3-color desert 100% cotton 90's one and USAF PJ jacket in woodland with IRR squares attached.

I know Propper make a ready made off the peg modded jacket because i got 2 off eBay for $10 the pair.

Thanks for everyone's input so far. It is nice to see that I'm not the only one who collects modified jackets. It is interesting to see that most of the pictures avaliable of the modified jackets being worn are 2001 to the present. You don't see a lot of pictures of these being worn pre-9/11, even though they were extensively used before that time period.

As to who modified these jackets, I believe it was a combination of a unit and individual mods. I have seen several jackets that would lead me to believe that the person who sewed them on was less than profecient with a sewing machine! However, I do agree that most of the jackets I've seen are professionally done and look like they were modified at a unit level.

If you look at the pictures of the modified jackets that people have posted, most of them have angled pockets for ease of access and most of the pictures are post-9/11. There seemed to be a shift in the angle of these pockets about that time. I'm not sure why. Perhaps combat expereince made people change their minds about pocket placement.

Another little sidenote and this may be totally coincidental, when it comes to Ranger modified jackets, all the ones I've come across have black velcro on the sleeve pockets. I am not 100% sure why. Maybe a unit requirement. Usually, the other branches use tan or olive green velcro on the pockets.

As far as material for pocket closure, both velcro closure and button closures can be found. Granted, velcro is the most predominant, but buttons can still be found in use. This is especially true on some of the older modifications.

Let me make this statement, there are no absolute rules for modified jackets. I have seen so many combinations of pocket placement, types of pocket closures, velcro color, etc. that saying that anything is emphatically this way is impossible. Most of these garments were either unit modified or individually modified, so the variations are many. The variety is why I like these jackets so much. Every time you buy one, there may be some small subtle difference than the one you bought last time. Thanks for everyone's replies and keep them coming.

Arch

p.s. Mr.X- NICE collection!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Arch thumbsup.gif

Here is a pic of a 25th ID DCU modified to be similar to a CCU.

This one was used in Afghanistan.

uniforms046-1.jpg

Just to add a few notes.

I've seen ERDL Nam jackets with pants pockets sewn in place of the regular pockets, which were removed and placed on the arms.

I have only ever seen 1 RDF modded jacket being sold on eBay UK about 3 years ago.

I have 2 modded US jackets, 3-color desert 100% cotton 90's one and USAF PJ jacket in woodland with IRR squares attached.

I know Propper make a ready made off the peg modded jacket because i got 2 off eBay for $10 the pair.

Thanks for the information. Do you recall how much the RDF jacket sold for on Ebay? I'd bet it went off in the $50-$75 dollar range. I seriously have never seen a modified RDF set and I'd love to examine one first hand to look at the stitching and how it was constructed.

When you get around to it, would you post pictures fo your modified sets? I'd really like to have various pictrues for reference. My ultimate wish is that this thread get pinned on here so others can use it as a reference as well.

Modified ERDL sets are extremely rare. I've only seen a couple in my years of collecting and the prices people want for them are astronomical. As with anything Vietnam, you have to pause and ask yourself if what you are buying is 100% authentic. I would bet money that there are some unscrupulous dealers who are cranking mod. ERDL sets out to fool unsuspecting buyers.. As far as thigh pockets on the sleeve, I have seen that modification in pictures and believe it to be a real modification.

Thanks Arch thumbsup.gif

Here is a pic of a 25th ID DCU modified to be similar to a CCU.

This one was used in Afghanistan.

uniforms046-1.jpg

Very mice set!!!

bravo_2_zero
Thanks for the information. Do you recall how much the RDF jacket sold for on Ebay? I'd bet it went off in the $50-$75 dollar range. I seriously have never seen a modified RDF set and I'd love to examine one first hand to look at the stitching and how it was constructed

If i rightly recall the RDF one was late 70's or early 80's type. It had the lower pockets moved to the chest and the upper on the arms. The upper ones has also been angled like old jungle cammies.

I think the final bid was £35 or $70'ish I think i did even bid on it but lost it as i was at work when i ended.

bravo_2_zero

Propper factory made raid jacket, also seems to be issue due to the DLA numbers DLA100-94-C-8801. The seller had Woodland and Desert for sale at 2 jackets for $10. I have the other still with white stock tag attached.

All pockets are Velcro closed, elbows have USMC style holes on the inside for foam pads.

n551878025_623159_5818.jpg

n551878025_623163_7201.jpg

n551878025_623162_6858.jpg

Modded PJ Jacket. I got this off a guy who had a shipment of flight helmets, the jackets were thrown in for padding to protect the helmets.

This is 3rd part modded jacket with glint squares sewn on to the Velcro. All pockets are Velcro closed.

n551878025_623160_6160.jpg

This is a Vintage 1990 cotton BDU jacket ( the loose fitting type), no insignia sewn, pockets machine sewn by 3rd party. All pockets are button closed.

n551878025_623161_6519.jpg

Thanks for your posts and your pictures. I kind of figured that the RDF jacket might have sold for about that amount. If you remember correctly (All those months ago), did it look like it was a legitimate piece or a fabrication for air-softers or paintballers? Probably really no way to tell.

bravo_2_zero
Thanks for your posts and your pictures. I kind of figured that the RDF jacket might have sold for about that amount. If you remember correctly (All those months ago), did it look like it was a legitimate piece or a fabrication for air-softers or paintballers? Probably really no way to tell.

It looked odd. It had no insignia on it or ever on it, The jacket looked too clean as you would think modded = field use. it may have been bought from the Hong Kong seller who i think makes repro Nam/RDF jackets from unmodded ones and resold.

Do you guys know where I could get velcro tapes and panels, tan color ?

I have two modified DCUs which have some velcro missing and I would like to do restoration.

I have looked in the various surplus shops around Ft. Knox and in my area. I have been unable to find any at all. Maybe USCAV.com may have some.

Arch

The torso length has bee altered. Velcro hook on the right sleeve is for a flag only. On the active SSI side, it is large enough to put any SSI available. This time an-incountry made SOCOM.

post-467-1214743553.jpg

usmc-collector

Nice original 1994 dated (contract number DLA 100-94-C-8801) Black Combat BDU Jacket. It seems it had removed bottom pockets (no visible sign, but I suppose it had four pockets) and has velcro on collar, so it can be worn as closed standing collar. Nice not very common type of BDU coat. JAROSLAV

post-31-1215386720.jpg

• 1 month later...

OK guys, some interesting ones I picked up today. It's cool how these have thier own unique story. 2 out of 3 are ones with pockets on the sides, and the other one has a ton of velcro. My hope is to one day restore them to thier former glory.

Andrew

All of these were under $2 each and found near Bragg.

Number One (With sleeve pockets and velcro):

post-889-1219196520.jpg

Modified Pockets:

post-889-1219196560.jpg

Number Two (Modified, velcro only for name tape and Army tape and button closure on side pockets, unlike Number One that had velcro):

post-889-1219196748.jpg

Modified Pockets:

post-889-1219196798.jpg

Unfortunatly this one has rust stains, and I hope I can get it to come out... crying.gif