Modified Military Jackets

Nkomo

Nice mods Arch. I want to also thank the moderating team for pinning this thread.

The top shown in 412-14 is a very early Special Forces modified DCU. The large rectangular velcro patch on the left side works for the "Triple Canopy" or "Tower of Power" SSI (SF/Airborne/Ranger/SF long tab). The right side has velcro for the US flag. The earliest SF or SOCOM mods will not exhibit any velcro on the pockets or sleeves (sometimes not even name or branch). As far as your example starting 412, have seen these in 3d and 7th SFG(A) groupings. A very similar example from my collection is posted earlier in this thread. Very nice piece!

You sure got some great stuff there Arch. Thank you sir for posting it all for us to se.

Also thanks to Lance for the info.

Best regards

// Martin

You sure got some great stuff there Arch. Thank you sir for posting it all for us to se.

Also thanks to Lance for the info.

Best regards

// Martin

Martin,

You are more than welcome, sir.

• 1 month later...

This is an October 2001 dated SEAL modified tan jacket. As you can tell from the various holes and stains, this jacket has been heavily used.

Sleeve pocket.

Sleeve pocket.

003.JPG

004.JPG

008.JPG

Nice top, Arch! The white stains looks like it came from sweating?

That would be my thoughts as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Found this modified set yesterday. This is a modified set named to a soldier in the 52nd Ordnance Group. Has Staff Sgt rank and Master EOD qualification badge.

011.JPG

I picked this one up not too long ago from a surplus store. Not sure if it was used by any SF teams, but still makes a cool jacket.

IMG_6057.jpg

IMG_6098.jpg

IMG_6099.jpg

Here is another one I picked up.

IMG_6091.jpg

IMG_6092.jpg

kriegsmodell

You still need to create one more monster! B)

Ha! Monster of a different type! ODA patches in your case!!

This is a modified Navy DCU from the Naval Special Clearance Team-One. This is a specialized unit comprised of SEALs, Navy EOD, Marine Recon, and SWCC qualified personnel. According to one article I found, this group is tasked to "conduct low-visible underwater mine and obstacle reconnaissance and clearance operations from over the horizon to to the seaward edge of the surf zone".

Interestingly enough, NSCT-1 is also responsible for training and overseeing of dolphins specefically trained to detect underwater mines.

There isn't a tremendous amount of information out there about this unit, but I have provided links to several articles about them.

Link: http://www.minwara.org/Meetings/2005_05/Proceedings/23-NSCT%20ONE%20MINWARA%2005%20Brief.pdf

Link: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/Uncle_Sams_Dolphins.html

Link: http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA498163

Sleeve pockets, unit patch, and reversed US IR flags.

Velcro patch underneath back of collar.

001.JPG

002.JPG

004.JPG

003.JPG

• 1 month later...

This jacket was made prior to the introduction of the US Army Combat Shirt (ACS) by a US Special Forces soldier. These shirts were made and worn to lessen the heat while on patrols/operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.

011.JPG

_mg_2412.jpg

_mg_2413.jpg

Here is a 1999 dated DCU I just found in Bangkok. Is there a way to link the alterations to a specific unit or era?

Modified DCU with no known drug allergies (NKA)and blood type written on pocket sleeves.

Close up of writing on pocket.

014.JPG

015.JPG

Modified DCU with blood type written on velcro rectangle on sleeve pocket.

Close up of the penned blood type.

016.JPG

017.JPG

Beezman,

In answer to your question posted above, in some cases there are ways to ascertain time period and unit that a modified jacket is from. Most of the time though, that information has been lost to time.