Modified Military Jackets

Nkomo

Here's an unusual mod I picked up today at a thrift shop near base. Top pockets have been moved to sleeves, bottom pockets have been moved up and pointed OUT rather than the more common inward facing modification.

Can anyone provide the reason behind the unusual pocket angles?

Can anyone provide the reason behind the unusual pocket angles?

The idea with these outward facing pockets is that you can (in theory) reach through the arm holes of your body armor and get into your pockets. With the inward facing pockets you have to open your vest to get into the pockets.

Vance

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got this one from ebay few months ago, it looks like this guy is a worried guy and wanted to carry as much ammo as he could, there are 16 pockets/pouches front and back

p1050516.jpg

p1050517.jpg

• 1 month later...

Picked up some new modifieds over the last little bit and thought I'd revive this thread.

I was able to pick up two tan modified jackets. These are either USAF or US Army used. These are identical to the tan modifieds being worn by the SEALs, even down to the velcro patch under the collar.

015.JPG

Modified DCU jacket with velcro on the chest for name tape and BOS tape. Glint tape has been sewn onto right sleeve pocket.

016.JPG

FINALLY.....I was able to find a used modified desert tiger stripe shirt! All the pockets (except the pen pocket) have been removed from this jacket. I have seen this done on several other modifieds and I think it was done because when the armor is worn, the pockets become useless.

017.JPG

A modified Blackhawk ITS (Integrated Tourniquet System) HPFU (High Performance Fighting Uniform) in AOR-1 pattern. This is definitely a non-standard issue piece, but this piece has been used and has had extra velcro added to the areas above the chest pockets. This is a US Army or USAF used item.

018.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Here arethe two modified uniforms that I have.First Woodland

DSCI0620.jpg

DSCI0630.jpg

DSCI0628.jpg

DSCI0623.jpg

The last pic you can just make out the shield shaped patch ghost with tab, it also has a ghost of a flag on the right arm just above pocket.

The chest pockets are unmodified.

• 1 month later...

Here is a set of modified black BDU's that were SEAL used in the drug wars down south circa 1990's. The jacket has take up pieces on the side, which would indicate a early manufacture.

001.JPG

Pants and jacket together. Pants are a little more faded than the jacket, which is very common.

004.JPG

A little photographic evidence of the modified black BDU in use with a SEAL. Also interesting to note are the GSG-9 Addida assault boots being worn.

DEV_Sniper_SAW.jpg

Sweet one Arch!

Btw, why isn't this thread pinned?

Doug,

I tried pinning this topic, but the darn pin put a hole in my screen and now I think I my computer monitor is broken! ;):lol:

• 4 months later...
This DCU came from a Navy SEAL. It is 100 percent legit as I know the Sailor. It is named.

I understand that this style of Modification DCU was quite common for SEAL Teams. It may have been done at unit level (as in the Rangers) and not the by individual.

Notice the slightly slanted chest pockets, they are in fact the bottom pockets which have been moved up.

The chest pockets are now on the arms. Notice the large amount of velcro on the sleeve pocket body and also above it.

I picked up one like this today with provenance to a SEAL (see http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...howtopic=153818 )

8.jpg

10.jpg

• 1 month later...

Picked up a ton of modified DCUs and BDUs this weekend. I am just posting a few of the more exotic ones I was able to bring home. Any comments are welcome.

1. This is a modified DCU combat shirt.

011.JPG

2. This DCU was part of LARGE uniform grouping that belonged to a Major in the US Special Forces. This is the only modified DCU that I own that has a sewn blood type tape on the chest. Kriegsmodell identified the blood type tape as being a 3rd SFG modification.

019.JPG