Modified Military Jackets

Nkomo

Here is what I term a text book "Ranger Mod" of a Unicor, Manchester, Kentucky 1997 contract DCU. Cargo pockets moved to sleeves at a near horizontal angle. Both have black velcro "flag size" rectangles added to the pocket body. The pockets retain button closure. Left side has black velcro IR tab square added pocket flap. All of the insignia is US made BDU subdued. Interesting addition on this top is the veterans blood type AB+ inked under the left side sleeve pocket. No "ghosting" or other evidence of SSI or other patches. The real deal here!

post-3151-1292891647.jpg

post-3151-1292891664.jpg

post-3151-1292891727.jpg

Closer view of the inked blood type annotation to the left sleeve pocket's inner flap. I have a number of these "Ranger Mods" and this is the only example with this addition.

I have a grouping of uniforms from this soldier and here are two examples with some very interesting modifications. Both are badged DCUs from the 1999 American Apparel contract. First of all note that both chest pockets have been removed although the pen loop to the left side remains extant. One of the chest pockets has been sewn to the left sleeve at an angle. The button closure of this pocket has been retained. The remaining chest pocket was apparently discarded. The cargo pockets remain in their original configuration. All of the insignia is US made and sewn on to the top. For the earlier example the insignia is all subdued BDU while the other is all DCU. Interesting to note that the modifications are exactly the same for both tops. There is no "ghosting" or other evidence of other patches. These tops came from a source in Florida.

post-3151-1292893178.jpg

post-3151-1292893191.jpg

Closer photographs of both tops to include greater detail of the modifications. Note the single sleeve pocket and the pen/pencil loops left in place. First the top with subdued BDU insignia:

post-3151-1292893346.jpg

post-3151-1292893357.jpg

And the later version, same modifications but insignia is DCU desert. Last ones for tonight. Many, many more to post if there is interest.

Classic, textbook example of a Special Forces Operational Detachment Delta (SFOD-D) modified Woodland BDU. Do not have the maker or contract information for this one as the tag has been worn away. The chest pockets have been moved to the sleeves. Note the extreme angle which almost appears to point downward but is actually horizontal to the operator when worn. These pockets have green velcro affixed to the body and flap. A glint tape square has also been sewn to each sleeve pocket. The pocket buttons have been replaced with velcro. The cargo pockets have been moved up to the chest. These pockets retain their original button closure. Name and branch tape locations have been modified with added velcro strips. There is "ghosting" at both shoulders which looks to be flag size/shaped. Have seen video of Delta/CAG operators wearing BDUs or DCUs with only American flags at each shoulder (on modified tops flags are on sleeve pocket velcro). Note the extreme wear to the garment which is often the case with SFOD-D tops. The size tag has the operator's intials and his team name is inked to the collar. I have scrubbed this information. Some collectors will also call this a "D-Boy" or Delta Force modification.

post-3151-1292956229.jpg

post-3151-1292956239.jpg

Two closer views of the sleeve pocket placement, velcro, and glint tape. Note the unusual extreme angle positioning of the pocket.

post-3151-1292956408.jpg

post-3151-1292956413.jpg

Also note the heavy wear and the "ghosting" from the removal of a rectangular patch; upper edge is just above the edge of the pocket.

This modified Woodland BDU is grouped with the Special Forces Operational Detachment Delta (SFOD-D) example above. Again, the size tag has the same operator's intials which I have scrubbed. The top itself is by American Apparel on their 1999 contract. The chest pockets have been moved to the sleeves but in this case are straight with the arm and shoulder seam. The pocket is also placed very high on the shoulder. These are usually signs of an early modification. These pockets have green velcro affixed to the body and flap. A black IR square has also been sewn to each sleeve pocket. Note the larger velcro square affixed to the pocket which can be used to cover the IR tab if desired. These pocket buttons have been replaced with velcro. The cargo pockets have been moved up to the chest. These pockets retain their original button closure. Name and branch tape locations have been modified with added velcro strips. No "ghosting" or other evidence of SSI or other patches.

post-3151-1292957884.jpg

post-3151-1292957894.jpg

Three views of the modified sleeve attachment. Note how it is attached straight to the line of the arm and very close to the shoulder seam.

post-3151-1292958099.jpg

post-3151-1292958107.jpg

post-3151-1292958115.jpg

Bottom image demonstrates the use of the velcro patch to cover the IR tab.

Chris,

Thanks for posting the photograph of the modified "Six Color" DCU. These are very difficult to locate. Great piece and thanks for sharing!

My thoughts only - Lance O. Adams .....

Another fairly typical Special Forces modification of a Unicor, Seagoville, Texas on their 2003 contract. Cargo pockets have been moved to sleeves and placed at an angle. Velcro has been added to both the flap and body of these pockets. The button closures have also been replaced with velcro. There is an interesting modification here in the form of the closure made from a single large piece of velcro. The chest pockets have not been modified in any way. Name and branch tape locations have been modified with added velcro strips and there is a US Army tape on velcro. No "ghosting" or other evidence of SSI or other patches. Another top that came from one of the shops near Fort Bragg.

post-3151-1292959721.jpg

post-3151-1292959734.jpg

Some detailed photographs of the sleeve pocket closure modification. The first photograph shows the sleeve pocket closed. Note the large velcro piece to the body of the pocket.

post-3151-1292959937.jpg

post-3151-1292959956.jpg

In most cases one will find small strips of velcro to the inside area of the pocket body and the underside of the flap. In this case a single piece of velcro has been placed on the pocket body to extend all the way under the pocket flap. I have not seen many examples of this style of pocket closure variation and feel it is a more recent modification.

post-3151-1292960540.jpg

For comparison, the photograph on the BDU above is the more commonly seen style of velcro pocket closure.

Kriegsmodell, good to see my old SFOD BDU's again! I never realized that they had initials of operators who worn 'em. Guess I have never taken time to inspect closer.

This 509th PIR DCU is kick rump.

Chris,

Thanks for posting the photograph of the modified "Six Color" DCU. These are very difficult to locate. Great piece and thanks for sharing!

My thoughts only - Lance O. Adams .....

No problem Lance. Also the BDU's were modified by SF as well in the same fashion. Delta wasnt the only one who did the velcro. I have a couple of BDU's and the 6 color which were all done in the same fashion which belonged to a friend we've spoken about. I also have a Ranger modified 6 color. No nametape but came from a friend of a friend.

A fairly common Special Forces modification with some interesting additions. The DCU is by Terry Manufacturing Company on their 2000 contract. Cargo pockets have been moved to sleeves and placed at an angle. Velcro has been added to the body of these pockets only. These pockets retain the original button closures. The ODA 772 patch on the left pocket is Afghan theatre made on velcro. Note that the background colors of black, red and green mirror the Afghanistan flag. On the right pocket is a US made desert pattern reversed American flag. The chest pockets have not been modified in any way. Name and branch tape locations have been modified with added velcro strips. There is "ghosting" from a round SSI on the left shoulder and flag "ghosting" on the right. Rank tabs were also removed. I acquired this top (as is) in a grouping with the operator's DCU pants complete with black nylon tactical belt, desert combat boots, and his Afghan made black and white shemagh and black pakol. Sadly, I have not been able to locate a name on any of the pieces.

post-3151-1292970163.jpg

post-3151-1292970186.jpg

A couple of closer shots of the ODA patch.

post-3151-1292970336.jpg

post-3151-1292970355.jpg

As one might gather ODA 772 is a mountain oriented team. The "Alpi Ni Stas" motto on the patch means Mountaineer.

Kriegsmodell, good to see my old SFOD BDU's again! I never realized that they had initials of operators who worn 'em. Guess I have never taken time to inspect closer. This 509th PIR DCU is kick rump.

Thanks Jeremy! Yes Sir, those are two of the mods that I purchased from you. Of all the BDUs that came from you three were inked with some kind of name or initials. The two in the previous postings to the same operator and another that was initialed to a different man.

No problem Lance. Also the BDU's were modified by SF as well in the same fashion. Delta wasnt the only one who did the velcro. I have a couple of BDU's and the 6 color which were all done in the same fashion which belonged to a friend we've spoken about. I also have a Ranger modified 6 color. No nametape but came from a friend of a friend.

Thanks for the comments Chris. You are correct and no one will argue that all kinds of troops used velcro in some shape or form. Some are Special Operations Force folks, some not. For the BDU pictured in post #145 it is the specific placement of the pockets, velcro, glint tape, etc that is consistent and associated with Delta/CAG. The same modifications can also be found on DCUs. I'll post a couple here in a bit!

A 1999 American Apparel contract Woodland BDU with modifications that are rather common. In this example the cargo pockets have been moved to sleeves and placed at an angle. Velcro has been added to the body of the pockets only. The button closures have also been replaced with velcro. The chest pockets have not been modified in any way. Name and branch tape locations have been modified with added velcro strips. What is interesting in this example is the color of the velcro. In this case all of the velcro is gray in color which is very unusual. Most every modified BDU encountered will have dark green or sometimes black velcro. No "ghosting" or other evidence of SSI or other patches. Another top that came from one of the shops near Fort Bragg.

post-3151-1292972960.jpg

post-3151-1292972975.jpg

Thought I would show some photos of a friend of mine who made the combat jump with the 173rd which turned out to be his Cherry jump.

You'll see some variation in the different 173rd mods. :thumbsup:

post-2582-1292995039.jpg