Modified Military Jackets

Nkomo

Here's a modified BDU I found recently. The lower pockets have been moved to the sleeves, but the button closures were left alone. The only velcro is a patch of black velcro the size of a flag on the left shoulder. No other velcro or insignia has ever been sewn to this coat. Has anyone ever seen this configuration before?

post-265-1272414304.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

DSCF4239.jpg

I didn't realize that I had that many! :shock: :lol: Note: Those are the same ones I posted awhile ago above. They are long sold. I just thought I'd share them again since I found few reference photos of this type of SFOD modified BDU's being worn.

I found more pictures of this type modified BDU being used (stateside, not in country).

armorv10.jpg

The driver is wearing it.

armorv11.jpg

The last guy.

armorv12.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
ABNRANGER1-75
Here's a modified BDU I found recently. The lower pockets have been moved to the sleeves, but the button closures were left alone. The only velcro is a patch of black velcro the size of a flag on the left shoulder. No other velcro or insignia has ever been sewn to this coat. Has anyone ever seen this configuration before?

I've seen this on early SEAL (1990's) and ParaRescue uniforms.

ABNRANGER1-75
I found more pictures of this type modified BDU being used (stateside, not in country).

armorv10.jpg

The driver is wearing it.

armorv11.jpg

The last guy.

armorv12.jpg

That is the shothouse at Ft. Bragg- and the guys would be Combat Applications Group. I purchased about 25 of the uniforms from the same seller. These were definatly CAG uniforms from around 2001-2002. Note the Desert Boots.

• 1 month later...

I have been putting this off for a while but have been convinced into posting pics of my collection here. So starting now over time will add a few as we go along if there is interest. All thoughts, comments and opinions are appreciated.

Here is an unusual modification in a couple of areas. Unicor, Manchester, Kentucky 1997 contract. Chest Pockets moved to sleeves at a near horizontal angle. Cargo pockets moved to chest. All pockets retain button closure. Velcro added to the flaps of both sleeve pockets and the left chest pocket under the branch tape. Addition of velcro to this area is unusual in my experience. Name and branch tapes are US made and sewn on. Note the use of an unusual darker shade of brown velcro instead of the more common tan color. No "ghosting" or other evidence of SSI or other patches. Name Gentry is also written on the inside collar size tag.

post-3151-1292874362.jpg

This is a fairly typical Special Forces modification of a NCED made DCU on the 2004 contract. Cargo pockets have been moved to sleeves at a horizontal angle. Note how high the pocket has been placed. Velcro has been added to both the flap and body of these pockets. The button closures have also been replaced with velcro. The chest pockets have not been modified in any way. Name and branch tape locations have been modified with added velcro strips. No "ghosting" or other evidence of SSI or other patches. Name Gutierrez has been written on the inside collar size tag. This top came from one of the shops near Fort Bragg.

post-3151-1292877167.jpg

post-3151-1292877303.jpg

Closer view of the chest area and sleeve pockets. Again, note the high angled placement of the pockets. The corner of the pocket nearly touches the sleeve/body seam at the top.

Here is a badged Special Forces modified DCU this one on a 1999 American Apparel contract. Cargo pockets have been moved to sleeves and angled. Velcro has been added to cover all parts of the flap and body of these pockets. The button closures have also been replaced with velcro. The chest pockets have not been modified in any way. All of the insignia is US made and sewn on to the top. No "ghosting" or other evidence of SSI or other patches. Another top that came from one of the shops near Fort Bragg.

post-3151-1292883248.jpg

Very nice Special Operations Forces modification of a Unicor, Manchester, Kentucky made DCU on their 1997 contract. Chest pockets have been moved to sleeves and are straight (no angle). A small rectangle of velcro has been added to only the flap of these pockets. The cargo pockets have been moved up to the chest and are slightly angled (inward). All of the pockets have added velcro for closure but also retain the original buttons. Name and branch tape locations as well as tthe collar rank areas have been modified with added velcro strips. There is also a small velcro square added to the reverse external area of the back collar. No "ghosting" or other evidence of SSI or other patches. Some collectors say these are Naval Special Warfare, SEAL or DEVGRU modifications. I do not know that to be true. This top came from a source in the state of California.

post-3151-1292884783.jpg

post-3151-1292884806.jpg

Close-up shot of an open chest pocket showing the added velcro yet also retaining the original buttons. All four pockets have this interesting modification.

post-3151-1292884924.jpg

post-3151-1292884947.jpg

Velcro square added the to the back collar of the jacket. I would suspect for an IR tab.

Here is a badged DCU with an interesting modification having an additional chest pocket sewn on the left sleeve. The DCU is a 1999 contract by DJ Manufacturing. All of the original pockets remain and there is no added velcro. The third chest pocket is sewn almost half the way down the sleeve and is straight aligned. This pocket location is similar to the example posted by member mayralphie earlier today. The button closure of this pocket has been retained. All of the insignia is US made and sewn on to the top. I usually avoid tops with the name removed but this was an interesting example that I could not resist. Other than the removed flag from the right shoulder and the name tape there is no "ghosting" or other evidence of other patches. This top came from a source near Fort Polk, Louisiana.

post-3151-1292886198.jpg

post-3151-1292886225.jpg

There has been some discussion of this pattern modification on this forum and elsewhere. There is some consensus (and even photos in wear) that indicate this is a Special Forces modification. This example is a American Apparel made DCU on the 1999 contract. Cargo pockets have been moved to sleeves at a horizontal angle. There is no velcro applied to the pockets. The button closures for these pockets have been replaced with velcro. Note the very long rectangular velcro sewn to the right sleeve and shoulder as well as the odd "shield shaped" velcro to the left shoulder. One theory is that the long strip of velcro is to accommodate the Special Forces "Tower of Power". The pockets have been moved farther down the sleeve than normal to make room for the odd shaped velcro additions. The chest pockets have not been modified in any way. Name and branch tape locations have been modified with added velcro strips. No "ghosting" or other evidence of SSI or other patches.

post-3151-1292888167.jpg

I am not a big USMC collector nor am I well versed in their uniforms. That being said, I have not seen many USMC MarPats with modifications. In my experience a seldom seen top. This blouse is from American Apparel on their 2004 contract. Note that tan velcro sections have been sewn to the flaps of both sleeve pockets. Also note the interesting IR tabs sewn to cloth assembly. These are present on both sleeve pockets secured by placement over the buttons. In that manner can be removed easily or tucked into the pocket. Thanks to a fellow forum member for this unusual USMC top.

post-3151-1292889367.jpg

post-3151-1292889382.jpg

Close-up photographs of the modified sleeve pocket with removable IR tab.

post-3151-1292889530.jpg

post-3151-1292889543.jpg

Perhaps this is a common item for USMC uniforms and I am just unaware!

Another Special Operations Forces modification of a Golden Manufacturing Company made DCU on their 1999 contract. Cargo pockets have been moved to sleeves and are slightly angled. A large section of velcro has been added to the body of these pockets. The chest pockets have been removed and replaced at an angle (inward). All of the pockets retain the original button closures. There is a "flag size" piece of velcro added to both shoulders above the pockets. Name and branch tape locations have been modified with added velcro strips. Note the two colors of velcro used on this top. No "ghosting" or other evidence of SSI or other patches. again, a pattern that some attribute to Naval Special Warfare, SEAL or DEVGRU. I do not know that to be true. This top came from one of the shops near Fort Bragg.

post-3151-1292890881.jpg