Modified Military Jackets

Nkomo

bravo_2_zero

Owen there is pockets and then there is POCKETS !!! Take you a week to find gear in that thing :lol:

Amazing item thumbsup.gif

Eric

bravo_2_zero

Joseph had his coat of many colors , Owen has that with as many pocket to boot !!!

Could this jacket been an operational one, joking a side there far too many pockets. I can understand SEAL vest etc.. because they were made to carry ammunition along with a belt kit. But there has to be a point where a few becomes a lot and a lot becomes a joke ?

Just seems a little impractical from a point of view because i trialed it with Brit Modern Para smock come assault vest sewn to it, ( which i still have ) and i found it a real pig to wear.

this looks well worn in places , along with repairs and some pockets being repaired by hand stitching .

I have worn afloat coat fully loaded before and they are no joke .

This coat feels really heavy unloaded .

on paper it looks good but I wonder how much it was used also .

owen

Oh yes it was $12 .

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Here is my contribution, I got the shirt weeks ago by BIN onEnay. Just received it today. The lower pockets were removed at the beginning, no ghost remained, and 2 zipperd pockets were added under the 2 chest pockets. Zipper is YKK brand. The inside pockets are made with civilian clothes material. all tags were removed.

It looks like paratrooper advisor mod, but can also be used for special purposes.

Cheers

post-1523-1240867026.jpg

• 2 months later...

Nkomo-

Have you seen a modified ACU uniform in your searches?, I have always wondered if they made modified ACU's.

Drew

Drew,

Hmmmm....very good question. I have never actually looked for modified ACU's. The reason being is that the whole point of modifying woodland BDU's, DCU's, 6 colors ,etc was so that the wearer could have easier pocket access by having the lower pockets on the sleeves. The ACU already has the pockets on the sleeves, so there isn't really a need for modifications. That being said, it wouldn't suprise me to eventually find a modified ACU. The soldiers are constantly using these uniforms in the field and I'm sure they will find reasons to modify the existing model.

Arch

Drew,

Hmmmm....very good question. I have never actually looked for modified ACU's. The reason being is that the whole point of modifying woodland BDU's, DCU's, 6 colors ,etc was so that the wearer could have easier pocket access by having the lower pockets on the sleeves. The ACU already has the pockets on the sleeves, so there isn't really a need for modifications. That being said, it wouldn't suprise me to eventually find a modified ACU. The soldiers are constantly using these uniforms in the field and I'm sure they will find reasons to modify the existing model.

Arch

Arch I figured there weren't to many modified ACU's but you never know we may see one. I say this because the LCV I have makes getting into the breast pockets fairly difficult sometimes, especially with a full load of ammo while lying in an ambush position!

I have plans to modify one set of my ACU's when I get deployed as I am a gunner on a HUMMV and and plan to move the pockets from my trousers to my sleeves so that while I am half in and half out of the turret I can still have access to large pockets of items.

just my two cents worth...we dont see to many of these in Minnesota :thumbdown:

Respectfully,

PFC Kitt

Arch I figured there weren't to many modified ACU's but you never know we may see one. I say this because the LCV I have makes getting into the breast pockets fairly difficult sometimes, especially with a full load of ammo while lying in an ambush position!

I have plans to modify one set of my ACU's when I get deployed as I am a gunner on a HUMMV and and plan to move the pockets from my trousers to my sleeves so that while I am half in and half out of the turret I can still have access to large pockets of items.

just my two cents worth...we dont see to many of these in Minnesota :thumbdown:

Respectfully,

PFC Kitt

Tell you what...you have some modified and I'll buy one off of you!!!!! Just kidding!!! Sounds like a decent idea. Would be interested to see when you have them modified. Keep us posted, please.

Arch

• 5 weeks later...
ABNRANGER1-75
This DCU came from a Navy SEAL. It is 100 percent legit as I know the Sailor. It is named.

I understand that this style of Modification DCU was quite common for SEAL Teams. It may have been done at unit level (as in the Rangers) and not the by individual.

Notice the slightly slanted chest pockets, they are in fact the bottom pockets which have been moved up.

The chest pockets are now on the arms. Notice the large amount of velcro on the sleeve pocket body and also above it.

Here is a pic of the exact same type of jacket in use by a SEAL.

PREV_NSW2623.jpg

Afbeelding050.jpg

Left arm

Afbeelding051.jpg

Right arm

Afbeelding052.jpg

Classic NAVY SEAL modified top! Very nice and clean!

ABNRANGER1-75
A special forces DCU.

A lot of people have told me that name tapes are not used by SF in the field. Well here is a pic of an operator from 1st Bn 3rd SFGA in Afghanistan.

Notice he has tapes (he has put tape over his name), and that there are no qual badges (ie wings), or even a flag. He does not have sleeve pockets, but the pic does show why the bottom pockets were removed.

Pic taken 25th Aug 02.

1stBn3rdSFGA-stan25aug02.jpg

This pic shows operators of ODA 342 in Afghanistan on 19 Aug 02. The left had soldier is seen with his DCU tucked in and with sleeve pockets.

Notice he has an AK chest rig.

HMMWV3rdSFGODA342MangaraA19aug02.jpg

This pic taken in 03 shows the infinite styles that SF modified DCUs can come in.

We can see on the right, fully badged unmodified. Second from the right we see name tape, blood group and large pocket on sleeve. On the center operator we can see slanted chest pockets.

SECDEFwithSFsoldiers03.jpg

The SF modified DCU in my collection.

uniforms044-1.jpg

This last one is for Copran.

SF in Afghanistan with Tiger strip. Note sleeve pockets.

jimbo26hafezloej8.jpg

Love the MORALE PATCHES ON THE SLEEVES!

ABNRANGER1-75
Ranger modified DCU.

Notice that they are done at unit level, not by the individual.

Note pin on rank, OD name tapes and black Velcro for large Solis flag on right sleeve and IFF retro reflective and tac sign on left sleeve. Sleeve pockets open by Velcro and not buttons.

Here is the one in my collection.

uniforms045.jpg

Rangers in Afghanistan all with this type of Modified DCU.

17dq5.jpg

16tk1.jpg

02iu9.jpg

bcfd50f7.jpg

ae46652c.jpg

Coming from Ranger Battalion, this was one of the most common modifications done at the unit level. We were issued two (2) each of the standard DCU's. They were modified at the post sew shop. You see the goes from 1st & 2nd Battalion sporting the classic Woodland BDU as well with velcro only...no relocated pockets. Note that we always (always) used the black velcro and green name tapes.

• 4 months later...