Modified Military Jackets

Nkomo

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I had 25 years active duty and learned so much form your post.

Thank you!

John

That is why forums like this exist and why collectors spend so much time and money researching items. Glad you learned something and glad the forum could be of assistance.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Here is a NSW modified set I picked up today that came into my local surplus store with a USAF uniform grouping. The DCUs, the BDUs, ABUs, and Multicams were all unremarkable, so I left those behind.

18155303_10154458653736129_899596293_n.jpg

18191548_10154458653841129_962103501_n.jpg

• 7 months later...

Found two modified DCUs from a soldier in the 29th Infantry Brigade.

One is a 6 pocket modified and has standard US insignia on it.

Attached Images
  • post-566-0-38218300-1509222753.jpg
  • post-566-0-13183600-1509222762.jpg

• post-566-0-37811700-1509222770.jpg

Other DCU is a 4 pocket mod and has a theater made 29th patch, what look like theater made tapes, but standard 3rd ID SSI for the combat patch. In the pocket of this modified were three 04/05 dated AAFES pogs which would coincide with when the 29th was in Iraq.

Attached Images
  • post-566-0-91927800-1509222909.jpg
  • post-566-0-23625900-1509222918.jpg
  • post-566-0-27529400-1509222929.jpg

Close up of the tapes.

Attached Images
  • post-566-0-90329700-1509222970.jpg
  • post-566-0-47488400-1509222981.jpg

Curious, but why do you call those "theater made tapes?" They look exactly like the ones that are made in every tailor shop at every installation in CONUS. I see that a lot on this forum, people see a BDU or DCU jacket with embroidered name tapes and they almost always refer to them as "theater made."

I can't speak for the other vets who deployed to the desert, but we had our tapes put on at Fort Carson before we deployed, both times to Afghanistan (2003) and Kuwait (2004.) They were done free of charge. They also put on our SSI's and rank, if we wanted. They would sew on combat patches and special skill badges, but we had to provide them to the tailors.

Now the theater made patches are easy to distinguish - they're made of a completely different material than the military issued patches, but I"ve never been able to reliably tell the difference between theater-made tapes and US made tapes.

I sometimes think people here don't realize that embroidered name tapes and US Army tapes are not just an "in theater" thing. In fact, most soldiers during the BDU period wore embroidered name tapes and US Army tapes for their whole careers.

The printed/stamped "basic training" name tapes were pretty rare for soldiers to wear once they completed basic training, and at least in my time, no self-respecting NCO or officer would wear the printed name tape and US Army tape.

The cost for embroidered name tapes was negligible and they look so much better than the printed ones that most soldiers were happy to upgrade to the embroidered tapes.

I even remember when I PCS'd to Korea in 1991, there were a few soldiers there who were fresh out of basic training who still had the printed tapes and as part of the inprocessing, they got embroidered name tapes, free of charge, put onto their uniform blouses along with the 2nd ID patch.

Technically, the printed tapes were "authorized" (as long as they were printed on both pockets - IOW you couldn't have an embroidered name tape over your right pocket and a printed US Army tape over your left) but they were as rare as hen's teeth once basic training was over. It was kind of like pressing and starching BDUs - the couldn't technically "make" you do it, but if you didn't, you'd look like a rag bag compared to all the other soldiers around.

So I would say that those are most likely US made tapes, put on when the soldier was conducting pre-deployment mobilization at training and the mobilization station.

The reason I stated that they were theater made is because the lettering is crooked compared to other tapes you see on most DCUs. While I do understand that crooked lettering isn't always a sign of theater made tapes, but if you compare the tapes to the tapes on the other jacket, they are not the same. Seems if a soldier was having tapes sewn to his deployment uniforms that he would have the same type tapes on both.

Furthermore, since the tapes were on the modified jacket that has theater made rank and a theater made 29th Infantry Brigade patch, it does lend more credence to the tapes possibly being theater made as well.