Modified Military Jackets

Nkomo

• 2 weeks later...
PriorityOne

Here is what i think is a 1997 dated Ranger modified jacket? I bought it in the Virginia Beach area in a thrift store. This is one of two of the same jacket, this one is size Med. Reg. and the other is Med. Short. The pockets on the jacket have both the buttons and black Velcro. There are some light sings of use yet where the pockets were remover there was still thread. In the chest pocket i found a small dog tag sized token that says "St. Joan of Arc be at my side". Any comments are welcome!

post-153263-0-67175100-1402935298.jpg

post-153263-0-88019400-1402935332.jpg

PriorityOne

My second jacket is a 2003 Unicor Navy Seal Modified jacket. This jacket was also bought in a Virginia Beach thrift store. This jacket shows signs of use such as wear on the shoulders from a rig or plate carrier and the blood type and the NKDA written on the pockets. Being from the Virginia Beach area near Little Creek Anfib Base, this could be from SEAL Team 2, 4, 8, or 10, my question is, is there any characteristics that would tell what team it was from? Thanks in advance!

post-153263-0-78655700-1402936768.jpg

PriorityOne

And my final one in my collection so far is another SEAL jacket, a size X-Large 2004 NCED. This jacket is heavily modified as you can see in the picture. One odd part of the jacket is that the pen pocket was not moved and was sewn over when the pocket was moved. And like the last jacket, are there any characteristics that would tell what team it was from? Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice modified jackets, Priority. In answer to your question about characteristics that would indicate which SEAL Team used an item, the short answer is no. That may change in the future when new pictures become available, but the airsoft and reenactors have posted so many "glamour" shots of themselves that it will be difficult in the future to tell real from fake. Very sad state of affairs.

There are a couple of modified uniforms that could POSSIBLY be tracked down to a specific team, but even that isn't a 100% guarantee. Sometimes you just have to be satisfied owning a uniform and not having every detail.

Very nice modified jackets, Priority. In answer to your question about characteristics that would indicate which SEAL Team used an item, the short answer is no. That may change in the future when new pictures become available, but the airsoft and reenactors have posted so many "glamour" shots of themselves that it will be difficult in the future to tell real from fake. Very sad state of affairs.

There are a couple of modified uniforms that could POSSIBLY be tracked down to a specific team, but even that isn't a 100% guarantee. Sometimes you just have to be satisfied owning a uniform and not having every detail.

Well said Arch.

PriorityOne

I'm kind of new to the modified uniforms so i wasn't sure if there was any way to tell. Thanks for telling me though!

Something you don't see everyday. This is a SEAL combat shirt made from an Under Armour tactical shirt and a portion of an Iraqi 36 Commando Bn shirt (2nd pattern).

I know it is SEAL in origin, but am not sure if it was used by an advisor to the Iraqi 36 Commando Bn or if used by an advisor to the Iraqi Counter Terrorism Force (ICTF). If I were a betting man, I'd go with ICTF.

00118.jpg
00216.jpg
00315.jpg
00414.jpg

Here is a picture of a West Coast SEAL Team combat shirt. Note the similarities between the two.

0032610.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
flashesandovals

Here's an 8th ID aviator early BDU top I bought about a year ago.

It looks as if it was modified "French-style" with an elastic band in de the back and a velcro fastener in the front.

I do not know if the original owner had this done, but I'm sure the pilot can be researched...

post-9154-0-61135000-1405851320.jpg

• 1 month later...
Modified ABU with a 2007 contract date made by Betherl Industries Inc. This type modification is a known Pararescue modification. I have included a picture of a named Pararescue modified DCU for reference.
The ABU was extremely unpopular with the USAF, especially with AFSOC. I would think this modified ABU would have been made/used during the first year or two of introduction.
The uniform is used and all the pockets have had the buttons replaced with velcro.

00227.jpg

00324.jpg

00127.jpg

That ABU modified jacket is really cool.

I also thought these were very unpopular with the troops, and were not supposed to be worn "outside the wire" so to speak. I would imagine the modified ABUs are somewhat scarce.

Chris

That ABU modified jacket is really cool.

I also thought these were very unpopular with the troops, and were not supposed to be worn "outside the wire" so to speak. I would imagine the modified ABUs are somewhat scarce.

Chris

Member Taucco and I were discussing this modified ABU (non-flame retardant version) and he said he thought these were used stateside.

As to rarity, I've been searching for one of the modified versions for several years now. They don't show up very often.

Great stuff Arch.

Always like seeing your finds.

Have to say I havent seen one of the modified AF shirts...way cool

Thanks for the comment and compliment, Ron.

a monster jacket, more than likely a SEAL combat swimmer one, or a modern twist on a vietnam ear rifleman coat.

Mods were 100% done by John Willis at SOE in the mid 90's.

It is made from a BDU jacket, cut belly button short (a known diver mod), with zipper and snap buttons closure. The torso part was lined completely with OD cordura, to hold the pouches sewn outside. 4 ammo pouches and two utility pouches on the front, 4 on the shoulder area and a big tank mesh pouch. Inside another torso part of a bdu has been sewn, and sandwiched between the two there is an oral/co2 activated inflatable bladder (i think some modified navy horseshoe Life preserver i wasn't able to identify ATM). Photos don't do justice to it, it's a little masterpiece of craftmanship.

post-3807-0-72624700-1409172062.jpg

post-3807-0-62044400-1409172074.jpg

post-3807-0-10204100-1409172152.jpg