Need Help ID'ing WWI Manufacturers

Mitter2k1

I started this project quite a few months ago and put it aside at the time. I have recently picked back up on it and need some assistance from the very knowledgeable members of the forum. Basically, I am compiling a list for my long term goal as a collector and that goal being to have 1 belt, haversack, first aid pouch, canteen cover, etc. by every manufacturer during the wartime years. So far I have a few manufacturers that are abbreviated and hope that someone can ID them. I will update this new ones I don't know as I come across them.

M1910 Canteen Covers marked with M&C Co., P.M.&Co.

M1910 First Aid Pouches marked with The M-H Co. (The Miller-Hexter Co.?), JPS

M1910 Entrenching Tool Covers marked F.M.H.S. Co., H&P

M1910 Haversacks marked L-D Inc.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Hi Mike,

I can help just with L-D Inc. This would stay for Liberty Durgin Inc., Haverhill , Massachusetts.

And you're right, the M-H Co. is the Miller-Hexter Co. . They used both markings on their products.

The F.S.F. mark is the most elusive and not yet discovered, as far as I know. Dealing since 40 years with .45 magazine pouches, I could positively identify all WWI makers, but not the F.S.F.

Hope this can help

Fausto

The F.S.F marking....is there any relation to the manufacture Froehlich?

Froehlich San Francisco ?

Just curious as I too have often encountered the maker on the 45 magazine pouches over the years.

Thanks you guys for this information. The L-D Inc. has also been one I have been curious about since I bought my M1910 haversack.

Where is WWI Nerd for this one? He seems to be a never ending source of knowledge and can probably ID a couple of these no problem. I may send him a PM with the link.

I'm going to see if I can figure out how to post a spread sheet of my current list and see if maybe the forum can assist with filling in some of the gaps I may have.

Many thanks,

Mike

Hi Doyler,

At one time I thought the same thing about F.S.F. markings, but then I realized that, as far as we know, Sam Froehlich Company was located in New York City and started business with U.S. Gvt. early in WWII...

Fausto

Ok, here is what I have so far. I'm sure I have some errors within the document, but I am still gathering data and revising. Also, I think the company I have listed as N.R. Co. may be N.B. Co. with part of the letter missing on the stamp. I haven't been able to find N.R. Co. anywhere else on the internet. I have the tool carriers listed as M1910 since I couldn't find anything else that said otherwise.

So, if anyone has any additions, edits, criticism, ideas, etc., LET"S HEAR IT! Most of the information gathered is from what I could find on the forum, on dealer web sites and eBay. If an item did not have a clear stamp, I passed on it and continued on. Any addition assistance would be greatly appreciated in helping me complete this project. When it is finally finished (If that is possible), I hope to share it on the forum and with collectors everywhere as a checklist of known war time manufacturers of WWI era US Army equipment.

Thank you,

Michael M.

post-104697-0-09609600-1411246086.png

Thank you guys! I'll add these to my list. I'm sure I missed quite a few manufacturers with my browsing. Are there any items I missed that should be added? If so, let me know and I'll add it if it fits.

Thanks again,

Mike

Here is another one that I need confirmation on.

Grenade vests made by C.P. & Co.

On the subject of these vests, were they designed with a specific grenade in mind or as a generic do it all?

Thanks,

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, I have searching high and low and this is what I have currently. I have added a couple of pieces of field gear and some manufacturers to the list. Hopefully I have ID'd the wartime manufacturers of just about all the field gear I can think of. If anyone has any additions or edits that need to be made, please let me know. I want this to eventually be a simple tool that collectors can use to ID WWI wartime made items.

Thanks,

Mike

post-104697-0-73197100-1413261709.jpg

• 2 years later...

Mike,

Regarding the grenade vests, while a standard Mk1 or MkII frag will fit the pockets, it seems that the vests were made for use with the Vivien-Bessiere rifle grenades. As a fellow collector of WW1 items, good job on your list of the various WW1 gear contractors and the items each produced. The book America's Munitions 1917-1918 by Benedict Crowell is an excellent reference for this information, although not all the companies are listed [such as OMO and FSF]. I'll check my stuff and see if I have any examples you can add to your list.

Alan

Mike,

Here are a few items I found that you can add to the list:

M1910 Diagnostic Tag Pouch, R.H. LONG 8-18

M1918 Chauchat Magazine Bag [for the US-made Chauchat], R.H. LONG 9-18

Grenade Bag [reinforced cloth bag with three snap flap and two large wire hooks for attaching to belt], C.P. & CO. INC. 6-18

M1917 Rifle Carrying Case, PROGRESSIVE NOV. S.K. 1918

M1910 Shelter Half, EMPIRE MFG CO. May 1918

Grenade Vest [11 pocket], The Troy Carriage Sun Shade Co. 4-1918 [this one is unusual in that it was actually used and is unit marked--unusual since most of these that turn up are in mint, unissued condition.]

I've also seen M1916 Rifle Cleaning Rod Pouches made by R.H. LONG and OMO. Also, keep in mind that Rock Island Arsenal manufactured several types of weapons-related pouches immediately after the war [examples: Pedersen Device magazine pouch, 8-19 date; Pedersen Device rifle bolt pouch, 1919 date; and Vivien-Bessiere rifle grenade launcher pouch, 3-20 date].

If you're interested, I can check America's Munitions and post the locations of the various contractors to accompany your list above. Many of the companies were located in Connecticut and Massachusetts, since that area was home to the US textile industry at the time.

Alan

Alan

Thanks for bringing this back up. I have worked on it off and on since the last post and should update my info above. Thanks for the M1910 shelter half name as I haven't seen any or even attempted to start on it yet. Maybe after SoS I can get things lined out better and post updated info.

Thanks again,

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...
RustyCanteen

I have a M1912 Holster marked G&K. Can anyone provide the name of the company?

Graton & Knight, Worcester, Massachusetts.