My VF-126 HGU-55/p

thevespabandit

thevespabandit

Hey all,

I'm fairly new here, so I thought I'd start by sharing some stuff I have. I don't have a lot, but this is something that's always on display.

I bought it a few years ago, it originally came with an MBU-5 mask, but i've simply swapped it for the -12 you see in the pic for aesthetic purposes.

I believe (hope) it's an original VF-126 HGU-55/p used by the adversary squadron when they operated the venerable F-16N...

All comments welcome!

Cheers guys, happy to be on board!

post-154221-0-01142200-1410588519.jpg post-154221-0-61009200-1410588529.jpg

hello 'bandit,

greetings from Italy. A nicely-looking helmet your, it could (should) pretty well be original from that unit. Also true, the only piece identifying it - leather cover for the visor - is not granted having been on it ever since... we know how these things do work.

I personally never liked the HGU-55/P as for the helmet itself, almost anonymous and "without the souls" if compared to HGUs helmets from the glorious ages, but when in Navy style with all that reflective tapings and a bit of colorfuls emblems it comes to my (positive) attention anyway. The red star is gorgeous.

Your display is no doubt helped in being correct tecnichally 100%, coming together with a plain MBU-12/P mask as used when flying the USAF-provenance F-16. Navy aircrews of course went flying F-16s wearing in USAF items, thus the PCU-15/A body harness and the original -12/P mask with its simpler fittings (comparing to USN -14/P mask and its complicated gear).

Also IMO, more "elegant" to display when on a foam head - a Navy mask kind of needing a couple coils around the neck with its rubber hose, + CRU-79/P oxy. regulator, + fabric-covered extension hose, + terminal connections block.

please forgive ever-present my errors in writing English - a nice display. Now you must go on and complete the remaining of pilot.. I did a full VF-111 "Tomcat" pilot (from late '80s) and still is in my collection, just I spent here and there some three years back at the time!!!

Ciao - Franco.

thevespabandit

Ciao Franco... tanto piaceri!

Mi dispiace, mio italiano anche non e tanto buono

Thank you for the welcome, and kind words!

Wow, I would love to see your complete VF-111 pilot... And I agree, the -55 is very generic looking, but still cool nonetheless. Especially compared to the US Navy versions of the APH-5/6 and PRK-37 family helmets...

Cheers/Salute!!

Thanks!! Your Italian is 99.5% perfect... really.

VF-111 pilot is in "Flight Clothing", pag.2 - Collection from Italy, F-14 pilot.

Cheesrs - Franco

thevespabandit

Wow, that set up is amazing!

Molto bellissimo! It is very hard to come across genuine Tomcat, 1980s era helmets... I'm growing very impatient in finding one, and unfortunately I don't know where to looks, but an HGU-33 is definitely next on the list for the collection! :-)

Thanks for your appreciation!

Next November there will be a Militaria event here in Italy not far from me - a couple dealers/collectors are the only people here arouns still having, as for I know, genuine 1980s period Navy helmets on their tables.

I still do attend at these shows, even if collection is over since years ago.

Couple of things to consider on the HGU-55/P.

The visor's are trimmed for the oxygen mask. If you swap the mask to an MBU-12/P then to be accurate, the visor should be trimmed for the MBU-12/P.

The earphones in Navy helmets are H-87 and the USAF used the H-143. I would suspect that the helmet is equipped with H-143 as the rest of the comms is USAF. You can tell which earphones by the openings: lots of small circular openings is H-87 while the H--143 has a three sort of circular openings.

well, I'm not sure but suppose Bandit's helmet was used at the time together with a MBU-12/P - even if not, I saw many a photo of -55/Ps (both USAF and Navy) being utilized with -12/P masks, yet their visors clearly were still trimmed for older MBU-5/P.

Not a true error and no problems about this.

thevespabandit

Thanks for your appreciation!

Next November there will be a Militaria event here in Italy not far from me - a couple dealers/collectors are the only people here arouns still having, as for I know, genuine 1980s period Navy helmets on their tables.

I still do attend at these shows, even if collection is over since years ago.

Very interesting, I will have to find a way to get in contact with these collectors, unfortunately I live very far from Italy :-p

Couple of things to consider on the HGU-55/P.

The visor's are trimmed for the oxygen mask. If you swap the mask to an MBU-12/P then to be accurate, the visor should be trimmed for the MBU-12/P.

The earphones in Navy helmets are H-87 and the USAF used the H-143. I would suspect that the helmet is equipped with H-143 as the rest of the comms is USAF. You can tell which earphones by the openings: lots of small circular openings is H-87 while the H--143 has a three sort of circular openings.

I'll have to double check, as the helmet originally came with a double bungy clear/smoke visor. I've swapped the visor around which is cut for a -12 and put the -12 mask on. I'll have to find what the original visors were cut for...

And I've just had a look, they are indeed H-143's in the helmet at the moment.