Brazilian Infantry Division patches

ccmax

Henrik, there are several known variations of the shield you posted. None of them corresponds to the material and techniques employed in your patch.

Below are three known WWII variations in another friend's collection:

dsc06033gr8.jpg

Tend to agree with moderator in that all of the dozen or so shield types I have seen and the 4 that I had owned all had a vertical slit on back for button placement. Hope this helps. Mort

Henrik, there are several known variations of the shield you posted. None of them corresponds to the material and techniques employed in your patch.

Below are three known WWII variations in another friend's collection:

dsc06033gr8.jpg

Thanks for the reply ccmax

Henrik

• 2 weeks later...
What is the significance of the snake smoking a pipe, it seems a rather odd thing for a snake to be doing, how did he light it? Is it some sort of Brazilian folk lore or just something the unit thought up?

I wish I could recall the story behind this. It has something to do with a play on words. The word for snake was prounced alike another word but I forgot what it was. That may give you a clue.

Steve

• 1 year later...

Great thread! Very enlightening, I have been aware of Brazilians participation in Italy and the Snake patch for a long time, but never knew much about it. I especially like the origin of the smoking snake. Can any of you gents recommend an English language book that details the history of this unit?

Thanks for posting the patches and photos. I always learn something new here.

Dennis

Watch out for my upcoming Osprey book on the subject. Other than that there is not a lot about the subject in English. Frank D. McCann has a really interesting book from 1973 called "The Brazilian-American Alliance 1937-45" but it is not just about the FEB, as the book covers mainly foreign and diplomatic relations between the two countries.

• 2 months later...
In use:

maxwolfffilho.jpg

This particular type of patch was not worn in Italy. This is a Brazil made variation that was only worn here, after the war's end.

The tin made badges are Italian made and were only worn after the war's end as well.

Also, the tin made badges have no place in those wool tunics. They were added by a crooked seller in order to increase value of the uniforms.

Killer grouping in a friend's collection: Brazilian made 5th Army patch, early BRASIL shield, Italian made snake patch.

DSC05440.JPG

• 6 months later...

Can you please tell me whose uniform that was? When I was a civilian employee of Army working for Computer Systems Command at Ft. Hood, about 1970-1974, I worked with a man whose name was C. Vane Riley. The first name was really Carol and I suppose to cut the amount of kidding, he went by C. Anyway, he was an American from Illinois (if memory is still working) who wore a Brazilian Uniform and fougnt with Brazilian troops in WWII.. I recall him telling me the story of the 'smoking snake' design. Could this be his uniform? Just curious, I would guess not many Americans were actually embedded with the Brazilian troops. By the way, Vane spoke fluent Portugese likely with a Brazilian Accent.

TEXCEN (Emil)

Can you please tell me whose uniform that was? When I was a civilian employee of Army working for Computer Systems Command at Ft. Hood, about 1970-1974, I worked with a man whose name was C. Vane Riley. The first name was really Carol and I suppose to cut the amount of kidding, he went by C. Anyway, he was an American from Illinois (if memory is still working) who wore a Brazilian Uniform and fougnt with Brazilian troops in WWII.. I recall him telling me the story of the 'smoking snake' design. Could this be his uniform? Just curious, I would guess not many Americans were actually embedded with the Brazilian troops. By the way, Vane spoke fluent Portugese likely with a Brazilian Accent.

TEXCEN (Emil)

Hi Emil,

If he was linking´s officer with the Brazilian troops probably he used the patch of 5th U.S. Army in the uniform.

But, if he served in the brazilian´s troops as official or soldier, he must have used patch of "Smoking Snake".

Best regards,

Ricardo.