Massachusetts

I will be traveling to Westfield, Massachusetts in the near future.

Are there any militaria shops, surplus stores or general military interest sites in the Westfield/Springfield/Chicopee area? I will be working, but hopefully get a little time for the fun stuff!

Thanks for any suggestions!

mattsmilitary

I am right near BDL airport in East Windsor CT

I have a antique shop with lots of military

Address is

42 Bridge st

East Windsor ct 06088

PM me if you need more details

• 1 month later...

I was notified this week that I will be in Bean Town on the 21st and 22nd of November. Are there any shops, malls, etc I might be able to stop at while I am there. I am planning on getting a rental car for one of those days, so travel outside the city might be possible as well.

Also looking for neat places to eat and drink! :)

I believe I will be at the Sheradon Hotel.

normaninvasion

I lived in Boston for 7 yrs, but haven't been back in over 10. I know the city has changed a lot. That said,here are the areas for eating and drinking.

Faneuil Hall

Newbury St. Kinda trendy, outside cafes, upscale shopping area. There use to be a surplus store there

The North End Lot's of great Italian eateries.

Beacon Hill area has upscale antique shops, probably won't find any militaria.

Across the river, Cambridge, there were nice places to eat in Harvard Sq area. Central sq.has alot of good ethnic food. There were some vintage clothing shops around here that would sometimes have surplus.

Great thing about Boston is it's all very walk-able.

The Battleship mass / battleship cove in fall river is worth a visit. http://www.battleshipcove.org

There is a ww2 museum in wolfborugh NH http://www.wrightmuseum.org but i have never been there so I cannot comment on the experience.

The collings foundation does some events in stow ma, but not that weekend. (and they are in the process of building a new tank museum featuring much of the littlefield (sp?) collection including the original restored panther) http://www.collingsfoundation.org/menu.htm https://www.facebook.com/collings.foundation There might be a chance of setting up a private tour, but I can't promise anything.

I haven't been to the ww2 museum in natick/framingham that was already mentioned, but it is by appointment only. I would love to check the place out and I'm only about 10 miles away. http://www.museumofworldwarii.com

If it would work for you, I would be happy to be your local host to the area and coordinate a planned visit together to any of the above. (shoot me a PM if interested in case I forget to check on this thread, or my e-mail is; [email protected] ).

I don't have much of a collection to show off, but I do have a life long interest in militaria and military history.

John

I have seen the U.S.S. Constitution and etc on a previous trip.

If you've already witnessed the Constitution in all her glory, then I'd say plan a trip to the WWII museum mentioned above. I've been meaning to go for a few months, but never actually find myself in the area for a visit. From everything that I've heard, though, it'll knock your socks off. It's actually a private collection, and you need to apply ahead of time for a reservation to visit at a specific time, but it would be well worth the trip. Other than that, I can't think of any military-specific shops in the immediate Boston area. I know a few of the local dealers, and a couple of them have shops, but they're mostly 45-60 minutes outside of the city.

I can vouch for the quality of the Wright Museum but it is at least 1.5 hrs north of Boston. The Freedom Trail is worth it, but will probably be a bit chilly in late Nov. Boston has an extensive and cheap subway system, too, but it can be a bit intimidating (like most subways). If you want a little culture try the Museum of Fine Arts, it's amazing. Boston is one of the nicest "big cities" I've seen, hope you enjoy it.

May i also add what Grant said the Museum of Fine Arts is GREAT. Also if you have the time visit Grants Museum, it is a great museum with very nice pieces.

-Dave

Was going say go to Higgins Armory ,but just found out it closed.

They had some wonderful medieval armor and older ,says that some of the collection has moved to the Worcester Art Museum .Would be a worth see if you can.

David

• 1 month later...

Thanks to everyone for the tips & info. I was there in August and was so busy I didn't get a chance to see anything except work and the inside of my hotel room!

• 1 month later...

Heading to Boston for a few days, any Surplus Stores worth checking out?

I went to Army Barracks last time I was in town and found a few things, but I hear it's now closed.

Thanks.

There isn't really any stores in Boston besides that Army Barracks you mentioned. There is one in Saugus and in Salem but that is a bit of a ride from Boston.

-Dave