Horse Cavalry,1943

124cav

• 3 weeks later...

124th Cavalry Regiment,Summer 1944

Again,all original.

The feedbag is Boyt 1942 version.

This study is from a photo in my collection,troopers attached the 1917 bottle to the front D of the 36 suspenders.

post-2473-0-99558100-1412844827.jpg

• 2 months later...

Great pix and gear! Very thorough and love the detailed research you've done on the various units. I chuckle to think of hanging a canteen in a 1917 cover from my field suspenders "D" ring! But a really nice touch.

I do miss doing mounted events. Lots of work, but a lot of fun, too.

I'm planning to pull my saddles and gear outside this spring for a thorough photo shoot. Have odds n ends pix, but have failed to really document what I have. Especially want to get pix of the fully packed saddles.

In one of my WWII National Geo mags I seem to recall a pix of a USN enlisted man, laying in a bunk in a little hut on New Caledonia, his '04 McClellan saddle hanging on the wall and his mount's head poking through the window. The caption, if memory serves correctly, said something about the young used the horse to reach his radio station on the top of a mtn/hill. Will have to look for that one.

Thanks for the kind words.

I am very keen to see anything you put together in regards to the 1900 to 1958 horse soldier.

Are the dude with the horse gas mask that did some pics way back?

Regards

Sam

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. I do have the M4 horse gas mask and did post some pix in one of the threads here...likely the "show your impressions" thread.

VolunteerArmoury

124th Cavalry Regiment,Summer 1944

Again,all original.

The feedbag is Boyt 1942 version.

This study is from a photo in my collection,troopers attached the 1917 bottle to the front D of the 36 suspenders.

Would you mind to post that photo you're referencing?

Would you mind to post that photo you're referencing?

It may end up in a future article for Militaria mag,i need to find it and scan it.

Thanks for the kind words 82!

Sam in the famous "Lipizzaner Stallion" Rescue how did the cavalrymen's uniforms differ or was it much of the same and also were there mounted Constabulary units post war ?

and the M1917 Bolo....? still standard issue in 1943 ?

Regards

Lloyd

Sam in the famous "Lipizzaner Stallion" Rescue how did the cavalrymen's uniforms differ or was it much of the same and also were there mounted Constabulary units post war ?

and the M1917 Bolo....? still standard issue in 1943 ?

Regards

Lloyd

The machete is listed in the 43 TO and E for a horsed regiment but the bolo is the only thing to show up in photos. The machete also shows up in the Constabulary horse platoon TO and E as one per mounted man.

The cavalrymen of the Lipizzaner rescue seem to have worn "mechalry" uniforms.

The post war mounted platoons wore pretty much "standard" Constabulary uniform with the addition of the legging top boots,spurs and breeches.

Just about the only item of clothing i have yet find a post war mounted trooper wearing is a 41 jacket.

Some occupation troopers can be seen wearing captured Jerry spurs too.