Bombardier Wings with 3 stabilizer bomb fins

5thwingmarty

Without a time machine, I don't think there is any certain way to determine which ones are "factory" modifications and which are third party jeweler modifications. I would guess many of the Beverlycraft ones were "factory" modifications, since there are so many of them and they seem to have a lot of similarities.

I would have a hard time believing my bombardier wing was from the factory. It is just made up of so many pieces that I can't imagine someone in the business of mass producing wings would take the time to do so much modification to a pilot wing, then add so many (8) parts to it. Unless it was an experiment to try and come up with a design for a new style of wing.

As for "factory" made versus jeweler modification, I would suspect a lot of that would have depended on the business model being used. Wholesale vs retail, mortar and brick shop vs catalog and mail order. Small batch/custom manufacturing vs large scale contracting. For example, the Luxenberg (AKA Blackinton) was a large operation, and I suspect that Russ' example is one of jeweler modification (note that the bomb isn't of the same workmanship as other Luxenberg wings).

Frankly, I love vintage modified wings and I rather have one that was worn and altered by an airman as opposed to a mass produced version. The only issue I ever have with them is if they were modified to deceive (ie trying to make a more expensive wing). But none of those presented here would be unwelcome in my collection.

P

I think this may be another "Navaho" bombardier wing, also with the three-fin bomb.

See the following thread:

"Is This Wing Good? Post your advise here!" Post #125

Russ Wilson once mentioned a few copies had been made a few years ago which were smaller than the original ones that have turned up so far. Yes, the one for sale on eBay today is also shorter but by all appearances it may actually be good because the bomb was made separately. But why is the wing shorter? It may have been made (1) very early before the craftsman had refined the design or (2) it was made just before he stopped producing them?

My met would be number #1.

Cliff

PS: Why the three fin bomb? Well, that is the way the craftsman who made the Navajo wings styled all his bombs.

:(

An excellent question Patrick which brings to mind something that happened to a very good friend back in the late 1970s early 1980s. He walked into a jewelry store in Columbia, SC to see if they had any wings from WWII. The manager said no but they did have a box of sterling silver emblems for bombardiers, senior pilots, command pilots and few others that could be added to various wings and would he be interested in buying them? My friend turned him down. . . and still regrets making that decision.

We've all had similar experiences in the past that only backed up the old cliche, "Hindsight is always 20/20."

cp

Hello Cliff,

Actually there were some wings.......which I bought. They were almost all Observer badges along with a few other ratings.....I think it was less than 20 pieces.

Yes.......I'm going back in the closet to continue kicking myself............but that was in the 70s.

Will